I have to ask the question, if Jimmy G goes on the trade block should we trade for him?

turtle28

Should we trade for Jimmy G?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should we trade for Jimmy G?

• Yes
    • NO, NEVER!
    • Yes, only if it’s for a 3rd round pick or later

Everyone knows where I’ve been this entire year on trading for a veteran, or even signing one - I was against it. I would have rather not made the playoffs last year and then been in position to draft one of the top 4 QBs in the top 10, but that didn’t happen.

Now, the 49ers have traded up to the #3 pick to draft a QB.

If Jimmy G is on the trade block would you trade for him?

I don’t think Jimmy G is a great QB/elite QB but, he’s only going to be 30 in December and he has proven he can play well enough to get his team to the Super Bowl w/ a top defense and a great running game. He’d obviously a better option as a starter than Fitzpatrick but, Fitzpatrick would be a great back up for Jimmy G.

We have more talent at WR than Jimmy G played with when he took the 49ers to the Super Bowl and we have Gibby. We have a great defense that could be even better this year with improvements in our young guys and with hopefully a few more additions in FA & the draft.

If Jimmy G only costs our 2nd round pick, I’d make the trade to get him. Fitzpatrick can be his back up, Heinicke can be the #3 and we can put Kyle Allen on the practice squad.

Jimmy G is not going to lead us to the Super Bowl just on his arm alone, but our offense can be balanced with Gibby as our RB & McKissic as our change of pace/receiving back and Jimmy G. If we traded for Jimmy G, he’d be throwing to Terry & Samuel (who are better than the WRs Jimmy has had in San Fran) and with our D, we could be a team that wins a playoff game next year or more if we made this trade I think.

Edited by turtle28

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If Jimmy G is on the trade block would you trade for him?

Short answer, no.

I don’t think Jimmy G is a great QB/elite QB but, he’s only going to be 30 in December and he has proven he can play well enough to get his team to the Super Bowl w/ a top defense and a great running game.

So, that could be a lot of QBs... including maybe one on our roster. 

He’d obviously a better option as a starter than Fitzpatrick but, Fitzpatrick would be a great back up for Jimmy G.

tenor.gif

If Jimmy G only costs our 2nd round pick, I’d make the trade to get him. Fitzpatrick can be his back up, Heinicke can be the #3 and we can put Kyle Allen on the practice squad.

That's a lot to give up for a guy a team didn't want anymore... where have we done this before?

54 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Short answer, no.

So, that could be a lot of QBs... including maybe one on our roster. 

tenor.gif

That's a lot to give up for a guy a team didn't want anymore... where have we done this before?

Fair points. I would say this team hasn’t done anything with what, 30 QBs the last 28 years, Jimmy G has done something those other QBs couldn’t and our current roster is built a lot like the 2019 49ers.

He’s not the best QB in the league, but he’s a top half of the league starter and right now that looks like what this team is missing if it wants to go to the playoffs and make some noise.

I think Jimmy G is worth a 2nd sure. The 49ers made the trade for their future because they think one of the top QBs could... COULD make them a winner for the next 15-20 years. 

We blew the opportunity to have that last year because we won the division and then, we blew the opportunity and of possibly having that opportunity again by signing Ryan Fitzpatrick who only keeps us average at best and not just rolling with Allen, Heinicke and a rookie we’d trade up for.

Trading a 2nd for Garapollo gets our passing offense back to a range where it was with Kirk plus, we have the running game now and defense that Kirk never had.

I see this as our best chance to be better than average bc we’ve already messed up the opportunity to get one of the top QBs, not once but twice!

3 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

If his old boss doesn't want him ( and I read he wasn't interested )  - nuff for me .

Yes but he’s a better option than what we currently have. Jimmy is a top 1/2 of the league starter. Getting Jimmy G would definitely make us better on offense than we were last year and for more than one year which is what Fitzpatrick does for us - at best.

If we got Jimmy, he makes our passing offense comparable to what we had with Kirk plus, we have the running game and defense that Kirk never had. Jimmy has been to the Super Bowl & he did it with a team that’s comparable to our team except we have better receivers than Jimmy has had with the 49ers.

It would make our team better for sure and better than for just one season at best which is what Fitz does.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

Yes but he’s a better option than what we currently have. Getting Jimmy G would definitely make us better on offense than we were last year and for more than one year which is what Fitzpatrick does for us - at best.

Belichick doesn't think he's better than Cam-- again, not interested.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Fair points. I would say this team hasn’t done anything with what, 30 QBs the last 28 years, Jimmy G has done something those other QBs couldn’t and our current roster is built a lot like the 2019 49ers.

He’s not the best QB in the league, but he’s a top half of the league starter and right now that looks like what this team is missing if it wants to go to the playoffs and make some noise.

I think Jimmy G is worth a 2nd sure. The 49ers made the trade for their future because they think one of the top QBs could... COULD make them a winner for the next 15-20 years. 

Jimmy G has serious injury issues. Very big cause for concern. Outside of his one season where he managed to complete 16 games and play well, he's been hampered by injuries and mediocre to good play. Top 15? Maybe.

• Like 1

You know Turtle, I brought up this same thing in one of these thousands of discussions and my memory isn't on par with yours but I seem to remember you saying something like - why would we want him? He's not as good as Kirk Cousins. I guess you've had a change of mind - desperation ! 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

You know Turtle, I brought up this same thing in one of these thousands of discussions and my memory isn't on par with yours but I seem to remember you saying something like - why would we want him? He's not as good as Kirk Cousins. I guess you've had a change of mind - desperation ! 😄

Well, I still don’t think Jimmy G is as good Kirk still, but I don’t think he’s far off either, they’re similar to me. And, Circumstances change. I believe that discussion we had & others had was in the mid part of last season.

At the mid part of last season I was hoping we would have the opportunity to take one of the top 3 QBs in this draft, I don’t believe that’s possible anymore after the 49ers traded up to #3. At that time, and I still wish it was the case I wanted one of the top QBs, but it’s not possible anymore.

So, it is now becoming a question of how does this franchise put itself in position to win another Super Bowl and what QBs could they get who have taken their team to the playoffs and won games in the playoffs that could be available?

The answer to that is obviously Jimmy G and our roster is built similar to how the 2019 49ers were built.

I’m more of a believer in Jimmy G taking a team to the playoffs and winning games than I am Fitzpatrick too. Signing Fitz to a one year deal makes no sense to me for this team, this teams age/youth and given Fitz’s age. He’s the stop gaps of stop gaps of us who I seriously doubt is going to win us a playoff game let alone possibly help us become a Super Bowl contender like Jimmy G helped do for the 49ers.

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Jimmy G has serious injury issues. Very big cause for concern. Outside of his one season where he managed to complete 16 games and play well, he's been hampered by injuries and mediocre to good play. Top 15? Maybe.

Well that’s true. That is a major concern. We would have a good back up in place with Fitz though should Jimmy G get hurt.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

A 2nd round pick is not worth becoming a possible Super Bowl contender?

I am not sure where you get superbowl contender.  I don't think he is the type of qb who elevates his team.  He is a game manager qb who can execute a complex scheme.

I am not totally against it but adding a 2nd round pick to the cap hit is way too expensive.  I would also be hesitant to trade much at all given the 49ers are taking a qb at #3 and can cut him with almost no cap hit at all.  The 49ers could solve their cap problem by cutting him.

But I was talking about the price more than anything.  If we trade for him then we get the contract and I am not paying 25M for garropolo.  We have all seen the knocks on him.  He is always hurt.  Also, I am not sure he is mobile enough for Rivera.