Chiefs sign C Austin Blythe

kingseanjohn

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Depth signing, I hope.

I think the Chiefs view him as a definite option as a starter at center for them. They probably got tired of waiting to see what happens with Reiter.

From profootballtalk.com:

Blythe, 28, started 47 of a possible 48 games over the past three seasons with the Rams. He played center last season, starting all 16 games, and right guard in 2018-19.

I think Reiter was priced out of the market. Sportrac was using Hudson's huge contract with Oakland as a comp for his market value. 

Blythe is definitely a potential starter at C. Assuming Kyle Long is healthy enough to play well, Allegretti may be reduced to his understudy. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk

2 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I'd have to find it again but fwiw Blyth was #9 by whatever PFF determines.

Yeah, PFF had him rated very close to Reiter, overall. Though they have always overrated Reiter a bit, to me.

I'm guessing Reiter wanted more money or more years. I imagine the team would've preferred the known quantity, but not long term.

My hope is if they don't like Allegretti for whatever reason, Blythe likely starts and we draft a mid round guy to compete and take over long term. And if they wind up ahead of schedule, like Sneed was, throw them in this year.

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Yeah, PFF had him rated very close to Reiter, overall. Though they have always overrated Reiter a bit, to me.

I'm guessing Reiter wanted more money or more years. I imagine the team would've preferred the known quantity, but not long term.

My hope is if they don't like Allegretti for whatever reason, Blythe likely starts and we draft a mid round guy to compete and take over long term. And if they wind up ahead of schedule, like Sneed was, throw them in this year.

Yessir, Reiter to me was never a guy I was content with. Just never seemed to get any kind of push and tbh I feel he was a big part of Patty taking those glorious 32 step drops

6 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I'd have to find it again but fwiw Blyth was #9 by whatever PFF determines.

Well, he ain't that. Smart and a solid athlete. But he's underpowered. Serviceable to decent the majority of time. But when he's bad, he's really bad. Usually, it's athletically gifted DLs who are schemed into one on ones against him, especially if that DL plays with leverage. When that happens, he gets dominated. I remember the Jets interior, especially Quinnen Williams, just having their way with him.