NFL 2021 RD1 Mock Draft (Now More Satire!)

RealisticRaiderFan

I took a few days to process the big CAR-NYJ move before I decided to write up a mock. I really think the trade was value for both teams, and if Darnold shows that he can tap into why he was drafted so high by the Jets, Carolina will be pleased with their pre-draft decision to snag their QB going forward. I won't have as much analysis in this mock as the last, as I'm saving some thoughts and ideas for my final mock a week before the draft. Stay tuned and thanks for reading!

1. Jacksonville Jaguars- Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson

Unless everything that anyone has ever known is a lie, and we ACTUALLY live in the Matrix or Truman show...this is a sure bet. How long till Lawrence becomes a Pro- Bowler under Meyer? He looks to be the prophet for Duval.

2. New York Jets- Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

This has gotten more and more solid evidence to be the pick as we get closer to draft day. Saleh comes in as the new guy wanting his own leader and franchise QB. Does Broadway Zach escape the whispers of him being compared to Rosen, with a financially flourished upraising and difficult parents? He's got few play concerns and a cannon of an arm. Will the upside translate?

3. San Francisco 49ers- Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

I don't believe that Shanahan is smitten with Mac Jones, and even if he is, Lynch is making this call and I think Fields is just the better guy. I like all the controversy around Fields and the 49ers have two options if Jimmy G slips or they just want Fields going forward. Moving up to 3 says they know what they're about.

4. Atlanta Falcons- Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida

Arthur Smith (in my eyes) is committed to Ryan and trying to win with this roster now. Brady is aging, Brees is gone, and Carolina is a question mark, so he strikes while the iron is hot. There will be QB's in next year's draft so Falcon fans don't fret. Think about how sick Julio, Ridley, and Pitts would be. No need for a King Henry in ATL.

5. Cincinnati Bengals- Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

Other than #WhoDey, the main chant of Bengal fans all year should be PROTECT BURROW. I think the best way to make a young QB better is to give him more time to make the right throw. Sewell has the makings of a top guy in this league. Hands for Burrow works here too, but the injury memory is still fresh.

6. Miami Dolphins- JaMarr Chase, WR, LSU

I like the idea of a Bama reunion here but  Miami has made all the smart moves over the past three years. I didn't initially agree with the Minkah trade but now they look like a budding contender and it was genius. As was the Tunsil trade. Best WR on the board takes precedent over chemistry by the smallest margin here.

7. Detroit Lions- Devonta Smith, WR, Alabama

QB to Detroit is a smokescreen to me. Dan Campbell does seem like the next unpredictable dude, and trust me, I'm a Raiders fan. I think it's the right option to go WR here and the Lions do the wise thing. Waddle may be a better fit, but I think the Heisman trophy is shiny and Campbell like shiny.

8. Carolina Panthers- Rashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern

After signing AJ Bouye, Carolina looks to go offense in the draft. It'd be the first offensive selection for Matt Rhule. Darnold coming to town to change the course his career calls for a hard look and tinkering at O-line. Slater is the best dude available at the position. I know they signed Moton, but you need two tackles in this league. Both sides matter.

9. Denver Broncos- Trey Lance, QB, NDSU

I don't think Drew Lock is the answer and I've said before that I didn't like a QB to Denver. The Darnold trade has really put a microscope up to Lock and Bridgewater might be on the move. Elway is bound to get ants in his pants over all this QB shark feeding frenzy and I think he pulls the trigger at pick 9. Lance looks like the boom or bust Elway wants to be right about.

10. Dallas Cowboys- Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina

I know Surtain II is the number one guy on most people's boards but I beg to differ. Watch Horn's tape against guys going in this Top 10 with him. I think that Dallas usually would go Surtain over Horn here, but if it were me Horn would be the choice and I'd bolt to the podium. Dude plays mean, in your face corner and the more I watch, the more I love. Bust out your dad's old Razr on pick 6!

11. New York Giants- Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama

I think the Giants are in good position to get whatever they like here. Golladay came over in free agency but similar to Dallas last year, you get another real weapon to go next to Barkley, Golladay, Slayton, Engram, and Rudolph to give Danny Dimes no more excuses. That Giants D is already playing well enough so the offense needs to meet their output.

12. Philadelphia Eagles- Micah Parsons, LB, Penn Sate

Philly goes best player available after deciding Hurts is the guy and watching his weapons get taken as they traded back a pick too far. No worries, Parsons comes to bolster a defense that doesn't measure up to the others in the division.

13. Los Angeles Chargers- Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech

This is a safe and smart pick for the Chargers. Herbert looks like he could keep up in a heated AFC West QB race with Mahomes leading. Getting Herbert more time to hit Allen and Williams, and giving him another receiver in the 2nd  (Rondale Moore maybe?) is the way to go. Darrisaw looks like a solid plug and play guy in the trenches.

14. Minnesota Vikings- Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama

Drag me in the comments for Surtain falling to 14. Minnesota fans will love it. Gladney has only made it known he isn't going to work and the secondary was half of the reason the defense looked like trash last season. A lockdown corner is something SKOL Nation would be glad fell to them after the OT's go quickly.

15. New England Patriots- Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa

I want to pretend like I know what Coach Bill is gonna do...Mac Jones is a thought, other defense could go here. They may even trade up because he's and evil mastermind and on draft day, knows something the world doesn't. Collins is a mean man in the middle and I think Bill would like him here. An all too quiet pick by the all too quiet to this point (about the draft at least) Patriots.

16.  Arizona Cardinals- Alijah Vera-Tucker, OL, USC

The rise in corners takes Arizona out of the market for what they really wanted. Kyler Murray moves a lot and Hudson has come in to bolster a line that is middle of the pack. The Cards go harder on the offense to fine tune what could be a offensive machine in 2021. A versatile lineman, AVT could provide help anywhere. Hopkins for 2k receiving in 17 games?

17. Las Vegas Raiders- Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State

Raider Nation, this dude has road grader written all over his tape. He plays till almost after the whistle and moves guys into the stands. I like him a lot and he plays old style Raider football. Gruden will probably draft a really buff fitness instructor he sees at a local track meet, as he mistakes him for Jayson Oweh though. After this offseason (and what have we done?) Gruden needs to fix the holes on the line he's created. FS is a need here too but the better value for that is in round 2.

18. Miami Dolphins- Azeez Ojulari, EDGE, Georgia

I had this being Jaelen Philips from Miami as a homer pick but Azeez is my best edge guy in this draft. After addressing the weapon need for Tua, defense gets better here with a young versatile edge presence. If he won't be making the sack, a deep secondary could be hawking balls on pressured throws in 2021.

19. Washington Football Team- Mac Jones, QB, Alabama

I know Riverboat Ron said he isn't worried about finding the guy for the future...which is why Mac Jones, having time behind Fitz in year one, could resolve the "is Mac, isn't Mac?" debate. I think whatever team is enamored by Jones will reach for him, but I think in a weird roundabout way, this is a fit. The weapons do the work in Washington anyways, right?

20. Chicago Bears- Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota

Miller will be gone by draft day in a trade. I can't believe it completely yet, but Dalton is the QB1 going forward...?!?!?! No sweat, just draft a pair of hands that can hopefully be in the right place to catch the ball. Does that Bears D get any help or love? Probably not. Who knows, maybe the Red Rifle gets a scope and accuracy alignment.

21. Indianapolis Colts- Kwity Paye, EDGE, Michigan

The Colts quietly are becoming a scary balanced team. The offense made real strides last year and if Wentz plays well behind a better line, they could be sound with the weapons they have, and some later round picks. Paye could add some edge rush on a defense that played better up the middle and in the secondary, than off the edge. The Colts get a value guy here. I love what Ballard is creating.

22. Tennessee Titans- Jerimiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

Another value guy on a defense that is the weak spot of the team. The Titans brought in Dupree but a roaming LB type would be a good fit for them too. I like what Vrabel has done, but he needs more on defense to keep up in this league now. Getting a guy like JOK gives Vrabel a position-less piece to create matchup issues.

23. New York Jets- Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech

I'm not worried about the injury issues surrounding Farley. That being said, he's already fallen on my board and others. Saleh doesn't care either and sees flashes of Sherman in Farley. The Jets are in good spot to create identity with these two first round selections and going Wilson, then Farley says you're making positive changes. Until the rise of Horn, and fall of Farley, I had Farley as my top corner off the board. Value for sure here.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers, Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson

I'm iffy on a RB in the first round but if a team is going to take one, it would be Pittsburgh. An old Big Ben regressing, options at receiver that are solid across the board, and a defense that lead this team to 11-0 to start last year needs a home run hitter and the one who fits the Steelers need is Etienne. Is the value proper though? Maybe not.

25. Jacksonville Jaguars- Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky

With the first pick being a snore of a lock, Meyer looks to raise eyebrows here, but in a good way. Davis has flown up boards and does a lot of work that isn't always making the tackle. The unspoken work if you will. Meyer likes sideline to sideline dudes with real aggression. Will the Jags make quality choices after Lawrence? This has boom or bust subtly stinking it up.

26. Cleveland Browns- Jaelan Philips, EDGE, Miami

A lot of people thought the Browns would sign a free agent at the edge spot. Why not keep your pass rush super young? Philips could be the most explosive guy on the edge in this draft depending on what you look for and opposite Garrett, the Browns would be closer than they already are to winning the division in 2021. Browns winning divisions...maybe this is the Matrix.

27. Baltimore Ravens- Kaderious Toney, WR, Florida

Watkins signed with the Ravens, but they still lack a true number one presence. Toney comes in to find their identity at WR which has been a concern since Lamar took over, despite his success. Do the Ravens contend again in this division if this isn't a WR? Where do they go if they don't help Lamar on the line or with a WR?

28. New Orleans Saints- Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss

Sanders is gone, the Michael Thomas marriage is going south, Brees is out and Winston is in. It seems to be that Winston will be day one starter, and he is going to need another weapon to put up 30 touchdowns like his last campaign at the helm. Elijah Moore has climbed my board and sneaks into the first round. Consistent pass catcher and big body makes Payton happy in NOLA.

29. Green Bay Packers- Greg Newsome III, CB, Northwestern

This seems to be safer than mocking a WR, as Green Bay hates to draft them high. I have them going defense and stealing a talent that I think could go higher as we get closer to draft time. Kevin King is back but the Pack need more secondary help and are invested in the money they've spent on the pass rush. Plus, why would they make Rodgers intentionally happy?

30. Buffalo Bills- Christian Barmore, DL, Alabama

How Barmore makes it to Buffalo is beyond me...and it's my mock. I had Oweh here before, and Basham, but Barmore falling and basically being the best player still on my board slides him right into the Mafia's hands. His dominance in the CFB playoff could make him a really good option for a team that needs middle help. Not the biggest need for the Bills, but BPA reigns supreme at the end of round one.

31. Kansas City Chiefs- Jabril Cox, LB, LSU

I personally like Jabril Cox a lot, and I definitely hate the Chiefs. They don't have much need but have created a few holes at certain positions. I don't see them going skill position here, rather they'll get someone with a high IQ who makes plays happen on defense. Enter Cox. Not really a Reid pick and I'm not sure what he wants to do since KC is still licking wounds but I can't wait to see. Can't another team choke in the draft instead of my Raiders for once?

32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Landon Dickerson, IOL, Alabama

I really like this fit and have had this mocked here since I started making them for 2021. Jensen is in his contract year, and this will likely be Brady's last year, or at least we all hope. A center would be a good starting point when you'll even need to go into rebuild mode. Start that with a quality player and character at center going into the future. Dickerson reminds me of what Saturday turned into for Manning.

Thanks again for checking out my mock drafts and Raiders content. Stay tuned for the last week before the draft, I'll have one last mock for everyone to tear to shreds. Keep up the football discourse and let me know what you think! Thanks for reading as always!

-RealisticRaiderFan

JUST WIN BABY!!!

• Like 2

Great write-up.  I love the commentary, but unfortunately, I'm not too big on the #25 pick for the Jaguars.  Inside linebacker is probably our strongest position currently, and Jamin Davis seems like kind of a waste of a good pick.  Of the players picked after him, I'd probably go with Barmore or Toney.

• Like 1

New Orleans Saints- Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss

Sanders is gone, the Michael Thomas marriage is going south, Brees is out and Winston is in. It seems to be that Winston will be day one starter, and he is going to need another weapon to put up 30 touchdowns like his last campaign at the helm. Elijah Moore has climbed my board and sneaks into the first round. Consistent pass catcher and big body makes Payton happy in NOLA.

Don’t hate it. I’d rather go defense, specifically Greg Newsome, but it’s not bad. Wouldn’t say Moore has a “big body” at 5’9” 180 lbs lol

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Great write-up.  I love the commentary, but unfortunately, I'm not too big on the #25 pick for the Jaguars.  Inside linebacker is probably our strongest position currently, and Jamin Davis seems like kind of a waste of a good pick.  Of the players picked after him, I'd probably go with Barmore or Toney.

If we were picking a lb he'd be more of an edge guy.  If Phillips checks out medically I think I'd take him but could go Barmore cuz he's the clear and obvious best idl guy and we need a difference maker of the Future.  Hamilton + Barmore + costin would give us 3 good young idl. 

• Like 1

Still much prefer a trade down which is the correct thing for the Falcons to do in this situation.  But i don't see any trades in your mock for any team so im assuming this is a mock for just pick where your at type.   In that assumption Pitts is a fine choice even though we need defense way more than a TE their just isn't a defensive player worth that pick this year.  It's either Pitts or QB and Pitts is the right choice over QB everytime now that Ryan restructured.

As long as the Bengals view Sewell as the better prospect, I'm good. If they think Chase is the better prospect, then they should take him. They have Jonah Williams and Riley Reiff for tackles, and can get a good interior OL at 38. If they draft Sewell, then Reiff kicks in to RG. As long as it's one of the two, I'll be happy.

9 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Still much prefer a trade down which is the correct thing for the Falcons to do in this situation.  But i don't see any trades in your mock for any team so im assuming this is a mock for just pick where your at type.   In that assumption Pitts is a fine choice even though we need defense way more than a TE their just isn't a defensive player worth that pick this year.  It's either Pitts or QB and Pitts is the right choice over QB everytime now that Ryan restructured.

Yes it is without trades. 

I will be doing one closer to the draft with a trade and if I was ATL I'd move back too. It seems like the smartest option and teams want up there at 4. Everyone knows that Ryan's contract now means you're at least riding him this year...why not get future capital? 

2 hours ago, RealisticRaiderFan said:

Yes it is without trades. 

I will be doing one closer to the draft with a trade and if I was ATL I'd move back too. It seems like the smartest option and teams want up there at 4. Everyone knows that Ryan's contract now means you're at least riding him this year...why not get future capital? 

Agreed and honestly with the restructure were riding him atleast til 2023.  He is 40+ mil in dead cap even if we cut him next offseason 2023 is the soonest we can let him go for around 20 mil in dead cap which is still a good bit but more doable.

40 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Agreed and honestly with the restructure were riding him atleast til 2023.  He is 40+ mil in dead cap even if we cut him next offseason 2023 is the soonest we can let him go for around 20 mil in dead cap which is still a good bit but more doable.

It's so weird seeing a team at 4 with so many defendable options at the selection. Someone is gonna offer a boatload for it at some point. Patience is Atlanta's friend.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 12:36 AM, THE DUKE said:

As long as the Bengals view Sewell as the better prospect, I'm good. If they think Chase is the better prospect, then they should take him. They have Jonah Williams and Riley Reiff for tackles, and can get a good interior OL at 38. If they draft Sewell, then Reiff kicks in to RG. As long as it's one of the two, I'll be happy.

If it is indeed Sewell, a certain "other" LSU WR is still sitting there