Early draft talk...

whodatworm23

23 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Free agency... Lol

Or mid round of draft. I dont trust this team drafting LB's high.

Ugh Worm. Last time the Saints signed a defensive player that ACTUALLY worked out? What, Vilma? And maybe Fairley to an extent?

18 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Ugh Worm. Last time the Saints signed a defensive player that ACTUALLY worked out? What, Vilma? And maybe Fairley to an extent?

Im just not very high on the top 2 off ball LB's in this class... Roquan Smith is a good player but I feel hes a little overrated. Malik Jefferson is a great athlete but his instincts are lacking and his production isnt there.

1 minute ago, whodatworm23 said:

Im just not very high on the top 2 off ball LB's in this class... Roquan Smith is a good player but I feel hes a little overrated. Malik Jefferson is a great athlete but his instincts are lacking and his production isnt there.

Who are this years FA LBs?

I think as of now the one LB i'd be interested in in the backhalf of round 1 would be Alabama's Rashaan Evans.

Great athlete, very good instincts, 3 down linebacker and emotional leader of the Bama defense. A senior that bid his time on a stacked group. I feel he'll be a much better pro than college player.

37 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Well my fav just got locked up by Jacksonville. 

Saw that. Took a look at a list of all the upcoming FA LBs (ILB and OLB) coming up as well. Nobody really stands out. Plenty of blue collar hard nosed footballers, but nobody real dynamic.

2 hours ago, SWATcha said:

Saw that. Took a look at a list of all the upcoming FA LBs (ILB and OLB) coming up as well. Nobody really stands out. Plenty of blue collar hard nosed footballers, but nobody real dynamic.

We still reeling from passing on Eric Hendricks for Anthony and Kikaha!

12 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I think as of now the one LB i'd be interested in in the backhalf of round 1 would be Alabama's Rashaan Evans.

Great athlete, very good instincts, 3 down linebacker and emotional leader of the Bama defense. A senior that bid his time on a stacked group. I feel he'll be a much better pro than college player.

Probably the only Ohio State player I'll mention for this upcoming draft, but Jerome Baker wouldn't be a bad OLB choice.  Great instincts, good coverage, could be really good long term.

2 hours ago, Raves said:

Probably the only Ohio State player I'll mention for this upcoming draft, but Jerome Baker wouldn't be a bad OLB choice.  Great instincts, good coverage, could be really good long term.

I like Baker but more of a late 2 to mid 3 guy.

15 hours ago, SWATcha said:

Zach Brown and Nigil Bradham don't seem like bad options. Certainly more speed and better coverage ability then our current starters. Those are the only two that I noticed. 

Considering our lack of a strong interior defensive line, especially the inability to stop the run, what about:

Da'Ron Payne from 'Bama, or Wilkins from Clemson?
It sounds like Payne has been really good with stuffing the run and absorbing several linemen, leading to better play by the edge guys. I'm intrigued by his vision. He looks like he's tied up by a lineman, then makes a quick tackle, or bats down a pass.

Wilkins actually looks a little more impressive to me. He seems like a freak athlete with a good speed rush. Also has great vision, but seems to have a different mean streak. He's more of a speed interior guy than a run stuffer, so that could be a bit of a weak side, but the offense will have to respect the skill.

Just a few thoughts.

26 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Considering our lack of a strong interior defensive line, especially the inability to stop the run, what about:

Da'Ron Payne from 'Bama, or Wilkins from Clemson?
It sounds like Payne has been really good with stuffing the run and absorbing several linemen, leading to better play by the edge guys. I'm intrigued by his vision. He looks like he's tied up by a lineman, then makes a quick tackle, or bats down a pass.

Wilkins actually looks a little more impressive to me. He seems like a freak athlete with a good speed rush. Also has great vision, but seems to have a different mean streak. He's more of a speed interior guy than a run stuffer, so that could be a bit of a weak side, but the offense will have to respect the skill.

Just a few thoughts.

There are a few solid defensive lineman that will be available in free agency this upcoming year. I say we try and go after one of them. If we aren't able to secure anyone then we should probably take a look at someone in the draft.

My main wants still remain DE and LB, but I wouldn't be against a DT or another CB.

49 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I say DE or DT.  

I say Baker Mayfield... Hes got the skills to be dynamic in Payton's scheme. Saints need to start being more foward thinking. If Drew wants more help he can get it by agreeing to a team friendly extention allowing Saints to be players in FA. The draft is about building for the future.

Archived