Washington OTC at #51, you make the call. (#19, JOK)

MikeT14

Pick at #51  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who are we taking at #51?

• Kyle Trask, QB, Florida
    • Davis Mills, QB, Stanford
    • Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M
    • Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina
    • Spencer Brown, OT, Northern Iowa
    • Jabril Cox, LB, LSU
    • Richie Grant, S, UCF
    • Andre Cisco, S, Syracuse
    • Terrace Marshall Jr., WR, LSU
    • Brevin Jordan, TE, Miami
    • Wyatt Davis, G, Ohio State
    • Dyami Brown, WR, North Carolina
    • Kelvin Jospeh, CB, Kentucky
    • Jackson Carman, OT, Clemson

In the first round, Washington selected Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame with its 19th pick. 

Here's how the 10 picks before us of the 2nd round unfolded:

41. Detroit Lions - Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama 
42. New York Giants - Azeez Ojulari, DE/OLB, Georgia
43. San Francisco 49ers - Tyson Campbell, CB, Georgia
44. Dallas Cowboys - Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington
45. Jacksonville Jaguars (from Minnesota Vikings) - Aaron Robinson, CB, Central Florida
46. New England Patriots - Jayson Oweh, Edge, Penn State
47. Los Angeles Chargers - Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida
48. Las Vegas Raiders - Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
49. Arizona Cardinals - Dillon Radunz, OT, North Dakota State
50. Miami Dolphins - Samuel Cosmi, OT, Texas

51. Washington Football Team - ????

(Assume that if a really good player isn't on here... they're gone already or are off our board)

This time around, all "2nd tier" QB prospects are available. We could also double up at LB, attack offense, or go other directions. Curious to see how this unfolds. I wasn't shocked by the first round results, but this one I might be. 

Taking back to back LBs who play the same position WLB makes no sense at all, so I wouldn’t even consider Jabril Cox even though I love him. I mean how many WLBs can we have? JOK, Hudson, probably Landon Collins playing some in that role, JHC too...

Really sucks we just missed out on Bateman, Toney, Radnuz & Cosmi. 

So, I say Wyatt Davis. I actually can’t believe he’s still on the board, he’s a late first round prospect. He’s a day 1 starter if we took him at LG & would make the almost certain eventual loss of Scherff next year be a much much softer blow to our OL.

He’d also end our really bad string of 2nd round picks not developing into long term starters which seemingly goes back a decade or more. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I say Wyatt Davis, can’t believe he’s still on the board, he’ll a late first round prospect. He’s a day 1 starter if we took him at LG & would make the almost certain eventual loss of Scherff next year be a much much softer blow to our OL.

He’d also end our really bad string of 2nd round picks not developing into long term starters which seemingly goes back a decade or more. 

He's good, but I don't buy he's going in the first round. I put him on this list for a reason. 

• Like 1

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

Are the options in the poll the only prospects available? Obviously I dont know what happened between 20 and 40, but I would choose Pat Freiermuth over the options presented. 

16 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

(Assume that if a really good player isn't on here... they're gone already or are off our board)

Think of it as this list is our top Big Board targets. I just try and show other picks to make it seem more interesting on who we just missed out on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

He's good, but I don't buy he's going in the first round. I put him on this list for a reason. 

Why don’t you think he goes 1st round? He was Ohio States best OL last year and I think the last two years. He’s a really good player.

Not sure Toney or Bateman fall out of the 1st either.

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Not sure Toney or Bateman fall out of the 1st either.

That I would also not be surprised about although I actually have Toney behind the Moore's, Bateman, and Marshall, so who knows. They're all Top 40. 

Why don’t you think he goes 1st round? He was Ohio States best OL last year and I think the last two years. He’s a really good player.

He's possibly the number 3 or 4 guard prospect in the draft depending on how you label Slater and Verah-Tucker. Guard isn't a huge need across the board for teams at the moment, especially for the first round. He's extremely good in the run game, but needs to improve his passing game - which to me limits teams reaching on him some since this is a pass first league now mostly. I'd vote for him too, and would have no problem taking him to be a Day 1 starter guy... but not a day 1 pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Think of it as this list is our top Big Board targets. I just try and show other picks to make it seem more interesting on who we just missed out on. 

Sign me up for Brevin Jordan then. Needs outweigh value here. TE talent drops pretty far after him. We signed the international guy, but he probably wont see the field unless it's a very specific set of plays. 

The amount of chatter about Kellen Mond would probably take a lot in that direction, but I'd say OT/OG/TE with this pick after going LB in the first. 

With how good our defense was in 2020 if we went Defense-Defense back to back, I'd be pretty disappointed. Especially considering there are a vast number of people talking down our offense, we need something to improve that unit. 

This is a tough one and I haven't voted yet but I'm between three guys:

Jabril Cox: Yeah we just drafted JOK to play WLB but Jabril Cox could be the MLB and they could switch around as well. Cox could be considered more a fringe 2nd-3rd rounder and like others before me said he could be available in the third round. He also could not.

Richie Grant: The team has a clear need at FS and Grant is a legit second rounder

Wyatt Davis: We missed out on O-Line in the first round and I think we have to invest in at least one offensive lineman within the top 3 rounds . Davis isn't a great fit for our ZBS and is more of a RG but who cares? I think Turtle is correct in that Wyatt's value is high compared to most of the players left on the board. Probably not a first rounder though and he will not be there in the third round

QBs & TE: I'm passing on all these guys and would much rather spend a 3rd or even a 4th rounder on these positions. The success rate for QBs in the second round is pitiful and the second rounder is too valuable to take a gamble on one of these players.

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

This is a tough one and I haven't voted yet but I'm between three guys:

Jabril Cox: Yeah we just drafted JOK to play WLB but Jabril Cox could be the MLB and they could switch around as well. Cox could be considered more a fringe 2nd-3rd rounder and like others before me said he could be available in the third round. He also could not.

Richie Grant: The team has a clear need at FS and Grant is a legit second rounder

Wyatt Davis: We missed out on O-Line in the first round and I think we have to invest in at least one offensive lineman within the top 3 rounds . Davis isn't a great fit for our ZBS and is more of a RG but who cares? I think Turtle is correct in that Wyatt's value is high compared to most of the players left on the board. Probably not a first rounder though and he will not be there in the third round

QBs & TE: I'm passing on all these guys and would much rather spend a 3rd or even a 4th rounder on these positions. The success rate for QBs in the second round is pitiful and the second rounder is too valuable to take a gamble on one of these players.

I hadn’t thought of Jabril Cox being able to play MLB in a Deion Jones type role where he may be a little undersized but he’d make up for it with speed an athleticism. I’d still rather go Wyatt Davis but, I do like the idea of moving Cox to MLB if Rivera & Deal Rio feel he could play there.

I’m probably taking Terrace Marshall there. He’s not my usual preferred style of WR, but  there’s a load of upside in him as an outside receiver. He would be a deep threat and a real problem on a lot of those deep crossers they like to run. I still think Samuel is more slot guy than actual WR2, and having a guy like Marshall to complement 17 and 10 would potentially give us a complete trio without breaking the bank to get there. 

Next choice would probably be Richie Grant. I think he has the ability to be the more coverage oriented half of a split safety duo with Curl (or Collins for that matter).

After those two, I guess I’d lean Wyatt Davis with Cosmi and Radunz just having come off the board. I would love to say Rondale Moore, but I just don’t see how he fits in the same offense with Curtis Samuel. I don’t believe in any of those QBs enough to spring for them here, and I’m not impressed with Brevin Jordan. In the 3rd, maybe, but I’d probably put Freiermuth, Tremble, and maybe even Long ahead of him on my TE wish list. 

Edited by e16bball

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I hadn’t thought of Jabril Cox being able to play MLB in a Deion Jones type role where he may be a little undersized but he’d make up for it with speed an athleticism. I’d still rather go Wyatt Davis but, I do like the idea of moving Cox to MLB if Rivera & Deal Rio feel he could play there.

The way he plays the run, it’s hard to imagine putting him in the center of your defense. 

Love Jabril’s coverage ability, but if you already have JOK in the fold, you’ve already got an undersized guy with that sort of skillset. Which is not to mention Khaleke Hudson, who also offers some of the same traits. And Collins/Curl, for that matter. 

If Jabril is on the board in the 3rd, maybe the value is too great to pass, even if you already drafted another OLB. But in the 2nd, there may be legit starters to be had at positions like FS or OG or OT or TE. Or even other LBs who project more easily to MLB. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

If Jabril is on the board in the 3rd, maybe the value is too great to pass, even if you already drafted another OLB. But in the 2nd, there may be legit starters to be had at positions like FS or OG or OT or TE. Or even other LBs who project more easily to MLB. 

Thats the thing. There MAY be starters at other positions. But I look at those positions and see 20%-50% chances of being a productive starter. And with our LB core see Jabril has a 70% chance of panning out better than whats there. Im rolling with the percentage. We drafted 4 DLmen in the first over 4 years. If the LB core has a chance to be upgraded in 1 swipe. Lets do it and get it out the way. Theres cap room and a healthy Saahdiq Charles to address elsewhere for now.