Good Arguments on Both Sides

soulman

So we just gonna say anybody not in the first round suck and call it a day??

The evaluation of QB's in college is valid but we eventually have to take a swing on a later pick

We just plain wont be picking in the top 5 anytime soon, we lost that chance with Trubisky

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Not only will they not swing big...because they don't have the resources of others...I doubt they even swing till late in the draft.

Then they are fired. We all know Dalton is not saving their job.

I am not sure why they will just accept being fired at the end of the season.

What resources do they lack? You really think they can outbid teams?

Edited by WindyCity

I love threads like this (and if you're interested in an outsiders opinion, here goes)

The concept of trading up is to get you the 4th best QB. That's not a dealbreaker.. Josh Allen was the 3rd QB at #7, Deshaun Watson was the 3rd QB at #13. You can get good options without being in the top 3 or first couple of QBs taken.

But you CANNOT settle. If the Bears scouts LOVE Trey Lance, or Justin Fields, or Mac Jones, or whoever it is, then go for it. But you CANNOT waste all of that draft capital to settle on a guy simply because "you need a QB, and this feels like the only chance"

If you love a guy, you do it, but you don't try to force a square peg into a round hole. If you think Lawrence/Wilson are the only franchise QBs, then don't waste the draft picks. Make a draft day trade for Jimmy or Teddy or something to be a better bridge at lower draft capital.

It's not black or white where your only options are Andy Dalton or a questionable rookie QB

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

So we just gonna say anybody not in the first round suck and call it a day??

The evaluation of QB's in college is valid but we eventually have to take a swing on a later pick

We just plain wont be picking in the top 5 anytime soon, we lost that chance with Trubisky

Not at all...but I don't see anyone outside the top 5 QBs who is beating out a QB who over 4,700 NFL pass attempts...Dalton was a starter for a long time for a reason...he isn't some hack.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

I love threads like this (and if you're interested in an outsiders opinion, here goes)

The concept of trading up is to get you the 4th best QB. That's not a dealbreaker.. Josh Allen was the 3rd QB at #7, Deshaun Watson was the 3rd QB at #13. You can get good options without being in the top 3 or first couple of QBs taken.

But you CANNOT settle. If the Bears scouts LOVE Trey Lance, or Justin Fields, or Mac Jones, or whoever it is, then go for it. But you CANNOT waste all of that draft capital to settle on a guy simply because "you need a QB, and this feels like the only chance"

If you love a guy, you do it, but you don't try to force a square peg into a round hole. If you think Lawrence/Wilson are the only franchise QBs, then don't waste the draft picks. Make a draft day trade for Jimmy or Teddy or something to be a better bridge at lower draft capital.

It's not black or white where your only options are Andy Dalton or a questionable rookie QB

Jimmy and Teddy are the same as Dalton.

The only way they save their jobs is to land a good QB.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Jimmy and Teddy are the same as Dalton.

The only way they save their jobs is to land a good QB.

I mean.... In that they are short term bridges.. then maybe

In terms of winning you games in 2021 or 2022 you are horrifically off the mark. Jimmy especially - he can be a franchise QB

Edited by Tk3
  • Like 1

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Not at all...but I don't see anyone outside the top 5 QBs who is beating out a QB who over 4,700 NFL pass attempts...Dalton was a starter for a long time for a reason...he isn't some hack.

I don’t think any QB outside the top 5 is going to beat out Dalton, that is why they will try like hell to get one of the top 5 guys.

Dalton hasn’t been good for years. At his best he was pretty good and that was a long time ago.

Dalton is better than Mitch and Foles, but he is the worst QB in our division and maybe the 22-24th best QB in the league.

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

I mean.... In that they are short term bridges.. then maybe

In terms of winning you games in 2021 or 2022 you are horrifically off the mark. Jimmy especially - he can be a franchise QB

He can’t. That is why the 49ers traded 3 1st round picks to get someone to replace him.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Then they are fired. We all know Dalton is not saving their job.

I am not sure why they will just accept being fired at the end of the season.

What resources do they lack? You really think they can outbid teams?

You have no idea if that is the case...far worse QBs have had far better seasons than Dalton would need to have...the bottom line is they have made moves all offseason to find a vet QB...now they need to surround him with talent and make it work...you say on one hand Trubisky was horrible and we still won 8 games...so why can't we win 11 with Dalton who is a far better QB?...

And we lack the resources of others...Denver have no where near as far to go as we do...NE are still picks ahead of us and have more picks in this and next years draft...

All of this is academic anyway as I suspects we see Lawrence going to Jax, Wilson to the Jets, Fields to SF, Lance to ATL and then Jones falling to Denver at #9.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

You have no idea if that is the case...far worse QBs have had far better seasons than Dalton would need to have...the bottom line is they have made moves all offseason to find a vet QB...now they need to surround him with talent and make it work...you say on one hand Trubisky was horrible and we still won 8 games...so why can't we win 11 with Dalton who is a far better QB?...

And we lack the resources of others...Denver have no where near as far to go as we do...NE are still picks ahead of us and have more picks in this and next years draft...

All of this is academic anyway as I suspects we see Lawrence going to Jax, Wilson to the Jets, Fields to SF, Lance to ATL and then Jones falling to Denver at #9.

Because Dalton isn’t very good. He is marginal upgrade over our previous losers.

Our schedule also looks more difficult.

Our defense will likely not be any better.

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

You better hope it doesn’t go like that at QB, because then we are getting Kellen Mond or Davis Mills, and probably reaching to do it.

Because if Dalton isn’t good, which is a real possibility, or they are 4-6 after 10 games, they are going to need someone to turn to...

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Because Dalton isn’t very good. He is marginal upgrade over our previous losers.

Our schedule also looks more difficult.

Our defense will likely not be any better.

Your argument is all over the place man...one minute it is we will win 8 or 9 games because Dalton is better than Trubisky and we won that amount of games then it is Dalton is a marginal upgrade and our defence will fall apart and the schedule is tougher so we won't win much based on that argument...

The best thing that can happen this season is we stick with Dalton...win 4 or 5 games and move for a proper high ceiling QB with a new GM & HC who are all on the same page...terrible year for everyone involved to set up hopefully 10 good years ahead...I would take it in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Your argument is all over the place man...one minute it is we will win 8 or 9 games because Dalton is better than Trubisky and we won that amount of games then it is Dalton is a marginal upgrade and our defence will fall apart and the schedule is tougher so we won't win much based on that argument...

The best thing that can happen this season is we stick with Dalton...win 4 or 5 games and move for a proper high ceiling QB with a new GM & HC who are all on the same page...terrible year for everyone involved to set up hopefully 10 good years ahead...I would take it in a heartbeat.

That isn’t what is best for Pace and he makes the decisions.

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

This team is built to win 8 games with mediocre/bad QB play.

We will win a similar amount of games with Dalton has Mitch because the talent difference between them won’t make a big enough difference.

Dalton is better, but not move the needle better.