With the 145th pick, the Jaguars select TE Luke Farrell

pwny

Positives

Nice-sized tight end who plays tough, instinctive football. Keeps his head on a swivel as a blocker, stays with assignments, and bends his knees. Stays square, shows strength, and works blocks. Quickly releases into pass routes, displays dependable hands, and nicely adjusts to the errant throw. Takes a big hit yet holds onto the ball and makes the difficult reception with defenders draped on him. Finds the open spot in the underneath coverage and also gives effort blocking downfield.

Negatives

Plays to one speed, lacks a burst, and isn’t a downfield threat as a pass catcher. Solid, yet not, dominant blocker.

Analysis

Farrell lacks great upside but gets the most from his ability. He’s accomplished enough as both a blocker and pass catcher to make an NFL roster as a third tight end.

I do not like this pick simply because of favoritism. I am a fan of the U and I had the opportunity to watch Brevin Jordan play often and he is going to contribute more in the passing game compared to Farrell. Availability is the best ability and the latter will be available now often, but not as productive. 

Being wrong on this will make me happy. 

Ehhh...okay.  Don't really know much about him.  Seems like the kind of "generic inline TE from the Big10" that doesn't necessarily need to be taken quite that early.  But he's got decent enough size, and seems to have sure enough hands and enough feel for sitting down in space as that "easy outlet" as a receiver to carve out a depth TE role.

Feels like maybe a bit of a "panic" TE pick because they realized they don't have much, and maybe there wasn't anything out there on the trade market.  So they just sorta fired off early on a "personal connection" guy that Urban likes as a person.

But he also kinda has the profile of one of those guys who carves out a long career floating around as a TE3 just being a ho-hum but "reliable" dude you can count on to do the basic stuff asked of them.

I guess 33 year old Timothy Tebow is gonna be their real, "upside project" TE.  lol.  🙃