NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s still relatively shocking how poorly the Browns have handled the Mayfield situation. 

It is disappointing.  I had higher expectations for Andrew Berry.  But, this is a lesson he's learning the hard way.  I'm sure Kevin had some input into it, but it's certainly put him in a tough position with it as well as how to frame it for the players and the media.

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s still relatively shocking how poorly the Browns have handled the Mayfield situation. 

If they get anything for him though its a plus.

What will Carolina do with Darnold? He probably has no trade value at all.

Edited by SteelKing728

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

If they get anything for him though its a plus.

What will Carolina do with Darnold? He probably has no trade value at all.

Well, he and Baker are two of a kind in their delusion over their actual ability, so they'd fit well together.

• Like 1

I thought this was pretty good news, especially since it'll be a first.  

Art McNally spent 58 years in the NFL, first as a referee and then as an officiating executive. Throughout the decades, he publicly listed the phone number of his suburban Philadelphia home. Let's just say it rang a lot, courtesy of fans who were certain McNally's officials had conspired against their team.

McNally's name is not as recognizable as some of the NFL's other pioneers of that era, from commissioner Pete Rozelle to Miami Dolphins coach Don Shula to Dallas Cowboys general manager Tex Schramm. But McNally was so involved in growing the game that the Pro Football Hall of Fame will make him the first official to be enshrined.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34097814/why-art-mcnally-first-official-enshrined-pro-football-hall-fame

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Imagine being a fan of the Browns 

I'd be conflicted.  I knew that Baker is not the guy to take them anywhere significant.  While Deshaun is certainly highly controversial character-wise, he's a better QB on the field than Baker is or ever will be.  

The closest comparison Vikings-related to me has to be Adrian Peterson.  While the controversies are certainly different, they have similarities as people find their characters off the field appalling and potentially criminal...but, on the field, it's hard to question their talent and performance. 

The powers that be in Cleveland have to feel the same way about him as we did with Adrian, that eventually, people will basically forget about the character indiscretions (as long as they aren't repeated) when he performs on the field.

Edited by swede700

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I'd be conflicted.  I knew that Baker is not the guy to take them anywhere significant.  While Deshaun is certainly highly controversial character-wise, he's a better QB on the field than Baker is or ever will be.  

The closest comparison Vikings-related to me has to be Adrian Peterson.  While the controversies are certainly different, they have similarities as people find their characters off the field appalling and potentially criminal...but, on the field, it's hard to question their talent and performance. 

The powers that be in Cleveland have to feel the same way about him as we did with Adrian, that eventually, people will basically forget about the character indiscretions (as long as they aren't repeated) when he performs on the field.

That thing is with the Vikings,  all they had to do was continue to pay an all time great viking while and after things played out. The Browns went out and traded a lot of draft capital and gave a huge contract for a player that Browns fans have no loyalty to and they still don't know how many games he'll miss. Once he gets on the field,  it'll look better but imo they were building a good thing but at least for this year this will set them back on the field and in the locker room.  After this year it will start to be harder to put a good team around him. 

Also to get a5th round pick in 2 years and to pay some of his salary seems laughably low for Mayfield. Obviously that's all they could get for him at this point but it seems like they could have played that better

I think, in the end, they made the right move, but did badly screw it up, and I'm sure they would admit that in private.  However, unless they had made the moves simultaneous, they would have always gotten less for Baker than they should have.  They just got even less because they were unable to make the move until everywhere else had settled and really only had Carolina left (outside of a manufactured Seattle interest).  

Oh, I'm pretty sure the 1890s would have been weird if they had had the technology we have now, what with all that yellow journalism (which is almost tame now considering how now people just literally make up grandiose stories on the basis of one or two data points and convinced a whole swath of people that that's how it is rather than just being an outlier).  But, in the end, the Cowboys using them as a sponsor shouldn't come as a surprise if you know anything about either.  But, either way, yes, we live in weird times.  

• Like 1

The Eagles and Steelers (originally known as the Pirates) came into existence on this date in 1933 and the Boston team initially took the infamous name that now has been changed to the Commanders as they were initially known as the Boston Braves (same as the MLB team).  The third franchise that was granted on this day was the original Cincinnati franchise (the Reds), which couldn't even make it 2 years (apparently, they made the winless Browns and Lions teams look like offensive juggernauts).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to multiple reports, Kyler Murray has agreed to terms on an extension that will make him one of the league’s highest-paid players. Murray’s deal will reportedly keep the quarterback under contract with the Cardinals through the 2028 season.

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, the deal is worth $230.5 million with $160 million guaranteed. Murray now has the second-highest average annual value of a QB contract at $46.1 million per year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/21/cardinals-kyler-murray-agree-to-terms-on-contract-extension/

Tell me again how Cousins is sooooo overpaid...

Edited by vike daddy