Recapping the 2021 Draft (Post-Draft Talk)

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Deablo was an interesting pick, especially considering Mayock's comments on not wanting to take guys and expect them to switch positions. Muse had some issues in coverage and projected as a LB because he had some stiffness and was more of a straight line athlete. 

But Muse ran a 4.41s forty, had a 34.5" vertical, and 124" broad jump. Diablo ran a 4.45s forty, had a 34" vertical, and a 126" broad jump. 

What's interesting though is that Muse ran a 4.12s 20 yard shuttle and a 6.94s 3-cone drill. Diablo ran a 4.45s 20-yard shuttle and a 7.01s 3-cone drill. 

Aren't 3-cone and 20 yard shuttle designed to show how a player can change direction explosively? 

That was something I was thinking a couple days ago

On 5/3/2021 at 4:07 PM, big_palooka said:

Honestly... the biggest disappointment for me is that Fields fell to 11 and the Raiders didn't jump on that opportunity.

They could have gotten younger, more dynamic and really exciting on offense. 

The price was cheap considering you could easily trade Carr for picks. 

I feel like that will be one of those things that you look back on in 3 years and wish you would have done. 

Agreed. Fields was QB2, imo, he fell for whatever reason but I'd bet a significant amount that he ends up being better than Wilson or Fields. Moving up for Fields would've been a similar move to what the Chiefs did with Smith on the roster when they went up and grabbed Mahomes. We could've redshirted Fields for a year and then moved Carr, who's on a team friendly deal, next off-season. 

The Bears wanted to leverage so much draft capital for Watson/Wilson who both came with huge cap hits going forward. After seeing how things played out I think they actually won by failing to land those two and ending up with Fields. With Dalton on the roster he won't be forced to start right away and now they'll have a QB with elite potential on a rookie contract for the next 5 years. Fields has also played well in cold weather games at Ohio State so he should be a great fit in Chicago. All they had to give up was a 2022 1st/4th to move up and grab him as well. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

Caleb Farley had back surgery and still win the first round

Tennessee is also a franchise that's willing to take risks on guys with high potential, despite medical red flags, as we saw with Simmons a couple of years ago. Farley has the potential to be a very good starting CB which is more valuable than an off ball LB. 

Moehrig's back injury is still weird to me. It came up at his pro day so pretty late in the process. There were MRI's done and some type of injury was found, so it must have been serious enough to show up on those types of tests. It also must've been semi serious if teams passed on him and he slid to the 2nd round. However he did say he's good to go and we haven't heard anything else about it.

Just seems so unexplained...

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

Tennessee is also a franchise that's willing to take risks on guys with high potential, despite medical red flags, as we saw with Simmons a couple of years ago. Farley has the potential to be a very good starting CB which is more valuable than an off ball LB. 

Sure thats true but going from being a projected top 15 pick to getting drafted into the second round because of a heart condition that was cleared?

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Deablo was an interesting pick, especially considering Mayock's comments on not wanting to take guys and expect them to switch positions. Muse had some issues in coverage and projected as a LB because he had some stiffness and was more of a straight line athlete. 

But Muse ran a 4.41s forty, had a 34.5" vertical, and 124" broad jump. Diablo ran a 4.45s forty, had a 34" vertical, and a 126" broad jump. 

What's interesting though is that Muse ran a 4.12s 20 yard shuttle and a 6.94s 3-cone drill. Diablo ran a 4.45s 20-yard shuttle and a 7.01s 3-cone drill. 

Aren't 3-cone and 20 yard shuttle designed to show how a player can change direction explosively? 

Deable is a physical freak, Muse is just a bigger physical freak apparently. Talent wise though Muse is pretty far behind. The Muse pick seems like a major reach, especially if they had to say he was "hurt" not to blow a roster spot on him.

I don't know what his role will be besides ST duty, but a dude that big and athletic should see the field at some point.

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Moehrig's back injury is still weird to me. It came up at his pro day so pretty late in the process. There were MRI's done and some type of injury was found, so it must have been serious enough to show up on those types of tests. It also must've been semi serious if teams passed on him and he slid to the 2nd round. However he did say he's good to go and we haven't heard anything else about it.

Just seems so unexplained...

Yeah it seems a little weird but Moehrig was also always a late 1st/early 2nd round type of player. 

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

Sure thats true but going from being a projected top 15 pick to getting drafted into the second round because of a heart condition that was cleared?

Farley likely would've be CB1 if he was healthy and played last year.

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Deable is a physical freak, Muse is just a bigger physical freak apparently. Talent wise though Muse is pretty far behind. The Muse pick seems like a major reach, especially if they had to say he was "hurt" not to blow a roster spot on him.

I don't know what his role will be besides ST duty, but a dude that big and athletic should see the field at some point.

Deablo was a slight reach according to most as well though. 

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

I too was kinda hoping we'd make a move up for Fields. That way we could keep him behind Carr for a year then trade DC next off season for a decent return.

Oh well.

Next year is really a make or break year for Carr. We have a big decision to make on his extension.