Recapping the 2021 Draft (Post-Draft Talk)

From the athletic on "safety" polling: seems like we hit value right on the $

Moehrig, with 91 points, was followed by Jevon Holland (50, two firsts), Andre Cisco (46, one), Richie Grant (36), Elijah Molden (28, one), Divine Deablo (eight), Tyree Gillespie (eight, one), Talanoa Hufanga (eight), Hamsah Nasirildeen (six), Jamar Johnson (five), Caden Sterns (five), Darrick Forrest (four), Jamien Sherwood (two), Shawn Davis (one), Brandon Stephens (one) and Trill Williams (one).

• Like 1

On Moehrig: "“I don’t remember the last safety that could both tackle and cover,” said one scout. “That conference (Big 12) probably is the best passing conference in football, and he was really good. He covered the slot most of the time. There are very few safeties that can actually cover. I’d try him at corner just to see if he could play out there.”

• Like 1

More on Diablo: "“You think you’re going to get Kam Chancellor,” one scout said. “This kid doesn’t have that kind of mentality. Chancellor would knock your teeth (out). Deablo is athletic as a tackler, but he’s not mean or explosive or anything like that. But the upside’s really good."

"Interesting guy,” a second scout said. “He’s in the mold of (Kyle) Dugger and (Jeremy) Chinn. An absolutely fabulous kid. I don’t know where you play the guy. There will be some concerns in one-on-one coverage. He’s got a little tightness to him. He loves the game. You’ve just got to figure him out.”

Did anyone do worse for himself that Jaime Newman? He was on a watch list of potential first round picks at QB coming into the 2020 season.

He transferred to Georgia, then opted out and went undrafted. 

Feels like if he would have played at UGA, he could have made some things happen. Really surprised how quickly he went from hero to zero amongst this class. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Did anyone do worse for himself that Jaime Newman? He was on a watch list of potential first round picks at QB coming into the 2020 season.

He transferred to Georgia, then opted out and went undrafted. 

Feels like if he would have played at UGA, he could have made some things happen. Really surprised how quickly he went from hero to zero amongst this class. 

Yeah he destroyed his stock. Was never high on him much to begin with, but if he stayed at a big school he probably could of been a 4th Round selection. 

I still think he’ll occupy a roster spot as a third stringer on some team. He’s not terrible. But I don’t ever see him as a starter. 

Edited by BayRaider

Newman could see snaps this year depending how brutal Hurts is. I don't expect him to be the Eagles starter by any means, but if Hurts blows maybe Newman gets some touches and they see if he has anything to offer. The Eagles are loaded on picks next year so they very easily could address the qb position. 

On 5/2/2021 at 9:40 AM, Jeremy408 said:

It’s all fun and games until all 32 teams pass on Tevin Jenkins JOK Ojulari & Moehrig. Then no one knows “player value” after that

Yeah but I was telling everyone Jenkins wasn’t a 1st round RT.

A few people on here acted like I’m the retard for mentioning his faults and saying RTs better be very good in pass pro to be 1st round picks and move very well.... areas Jenkins has issues.

Moehrig was always a leg first who fell half a round cuz of injury concerns.... but when without them he easily could have gone within the top 10 picks in round 2.

JOK surprised me A bit because he’s so good in coverage.  I still shocked about that one.  I wonder why he “fell”

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah he destroyed his stock. Was never high on him much to begin with, but if he stayed at a big school he probably could of been a 4th Round selection. 

I still think he’ll occupy a roster spot as a third stringer on some team. He’s not terrible. But I don’t ever see him as a starter. 

Exactly.... he needed a SR year to show his passing skills but opted out.  I’d still have used a late 5th on him only cause after Book there wasn’t much left.

10 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Newman could see snaps this year depending how brutal Hurts is. I don't expect him to be the Eagles starter by any means, but if Hurts blows maybe Newman gets some touches and they see if he has anything to offer. The Eagles are loaded on picks next year so they very easily could address the qb position. 

Agreed. Hurts will be their starter but Newman can run the same offense with his mobility so he'll have a chance to play if Hurts doesn't play well. Either way though the Eagles will have their own 1st round pick, the Dolphins 1st round pick, their own 2nd round pick, and the Colts 2nd round pick (which could easily become a 1st if Wentz plays 75% of their snaps). 

So there's a high chance that that they're going to have 3 1st round picks next year and could easily move up to grab a QB next year. 

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Deablo: "“He played a lot of sub linebacker in the Senior Bowl and did really well. He doesn’t have a ton of wiggle as far as man coverage, but he can play in zone because he’s fast, long and pretty instinctive.”

Deablo was an interesting pick, especially considering Mayock's comments on not wanting to take guys and expect them to switch positions. Muse had some issues in coverage and projected as a LB because he had some stiffness and was more of a straight line athlete. 

But Muse ran a 4.41s forty, had a 34.5" vertical, and 124" broad jump. Diablo ran a 4.45s forty, had a 34" vertical, and a 126" broad jump. 

What's interesting though is that Muse ran a 4.12s 20 yard shuttle and a 6.94s 3-cone drill. Diablo ran a 4.45s 20-yard shuttle and a 7.01s 3-cone drill. 

Aren't 3-cone and 20 yard shuttle designed to show how a player can change direction explosively? 

On 5/3/2021 at 6:50 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Lance looked good also. Wilson we'll see. I'm also not 100% sold on him.

Lance has tools but his last 5 games of tape were pretty meh especially considering the level of competition. IIRC he only had like 300 attempts and a 44% accuracy rate on passes past the line of scrimmage.