2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

SDSU's Pro Day is Tuesday. It'll be interesting to see how Cam Thomas runs after being out at the Combine. Has that size that could make him a possible replacement for Z's versatility. 

TDN's breakdown....

Cameron Thomas plays on the defensive line for the Aztecs’ defense. He has played in several different alignments from this position. He is a good athlete with good initial quickness, agility, and outstanding body control. In the run game, he is heavy enough to hold the point on the interior, disengage, and get to the football. He has a relentless motor and is a constant threat on the backside of run plays. In the passing game, he has been dominant in the Mountain West Conference. He’s virtually unblockable with single blocks. He not only wins with pure hustle and motor, but combines it with very good hands and an understanding of leverage. He has used a one-arm on the edge while also converting speed to power. He’s bull rushed and even slithers in the gaps when he’s reduced down to a 3 or 4i, showing really good instincts and pass-rush understanding when working a lineman’s half-man. In the NFL, he is ideally suited as a 4-3 DE. However, he will be impactful as an interior rusher in sub-packages. He is versatile enough to align in various positions on third downs.

Ideal Role: Starting Defensive End

Scheme Fit: 4-3 (Although he's front versatile)

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Well lets hope the FO does a good job at it.
It's kinda important that they do.

Olave is probably the best rookie WR, but I'm not sure he's a true #1.  Think a rich man's Marvin Jones.  In a best case scenario, he's Greg Jennings.  I think Garrett Wilson has the most raw natural talent, but he's relying almost solely on his athleticism at this point.  I don't think the hands are super consistent by any means.  Treylon Burks' body type looks kinda awkward.  I want to go and compare him to Mike Evans, but Evans didn't look that stocky at A&M.  The kid can play though, and he's probably a millionaire's version of Allen Lazard.  Drake London is probably the most talented, but the medicals are ugly.  He's never played in more then 8 games in college.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Olave is probably the best rookie WR, but I'm not sure he's a true #1.  Think a rich man's Marvin Jones.  In a best case scenario, he's Greg Jennings.  I think Garrett Wilson has the most raw natural talent, but he's relying almost solely on his athleticism at this point.  I don't think the hands are super consistent by any means.  Treylon Burks' body type looks kinda awkward.  I want to go and compare him to Mike Evans, but Evans didn't look that stocky at A&M.  The kid can play though, and he's probably a millionaire's version of Allen Lazard.  Drake London is probably the most talented, but the medicals are ugly.  He's never played in more then 8 games in college.

Okay......you need a *play maker*......close your eyes and pick one........................

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Speaking of Olave.....TDNs breakdown - p.s. it's a good read.....

Ohio State wide receiver Chris Olave is one of college football’s most refined route-runners. A true route technician, Olave has illustrated high levels of football IQ and is the latest product of an Ohio State Buckeyes program that is churning out high-level prospects under the watch of wide receivers coach Brian Hartline. Olave lacks the physical stature to be a dominant possession receiver in traffic and his worst moments do seem to come when contested or looking to high-point footballs in traffic, but an accurate passer will be able to feed him the football on schedule and allow Olave’s high-end separation skills to shine in the pro game. Olave took advantage of a higher market share of targets in 2020 and was the clear and obvious preferred target of quarterback Justin Fields in the passing game, alongside teammate Garrett Wilson. Those trends continued in 2021 with a young quarterback in C.J. Stroud taking over the offense and Olave has continued to shred opposing defenses on his way to setting the OSU career record for receiving touchdowns. Olave’s route-running and releases will offer him a strong chance to translate to just about any passing system in the league—it will be more so a preference of whether or not Olave plays inside or outside depending on team-by-team preferences for measurables on the perimeter. Expectations for Olave should fall in line with some of the other successful rookies in recent years: an immediate impact player on his new team once he finds out his landing spot. 

Ideal role: Featured receiver 

Scheme tendencies: Vertical offense, shallow crossers, option routes, play-action kill shots 

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

This WR class is going to be hard to separate from each other.

Hearing as many as 8 could go in the first round.  We may have to trade up to get one of the top guys.  Dunno a lot of prospects to choose from.  Think Olave, Wilson, Burks, and London will be gone.  Williams because of the ACL might be available at #22.  Can't help us this year.  Just starting to look at these guys.  Couple I like so far are Jahan Dotson and Alec Pierce.  Dotson at #28 Pierce #53.  So many prospects a lot of height speed guys can be had later on too.  We really need to restock the WR position and this is the year to do it.  I'd take at least 3 in this draft.  We have 3 7 rounders burn one on a flier.  Sucks drafting late every year.  Will be tough to see WR we want fly off the board before our pick.  

Gutey has to stick to BPA and not draft for need.  OT DL are other important positions.  He could go bigs with both 1st rounders depending on how the board falls. 

Edited by Scoremore

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think Wilson and London and maybe Williams are gone by 22. Olave could go before that too. 

Figure the guys that will be on GB's board through Round 2 will be:

1st:  

1. Wilson
  2. London (depending on medicals)
  3. Williams (depending on medicals)
  4. Olave
  5. Burks
  6. Pickens (depending on medicals)

2nd: 

1. Metchie (depending on medicals)
  2. Dotson
  3. Watson 

6 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Hearing as many as 8 could go in the first round.  We may have to trade up to get one of the top guys.  Dunno a lot of prospects to choose from.  Think Olave, Wilson, Burks, and London will be gone.  Williams because of the ACL might be available at #22.  Can't help us this year.  Just starting to look at these guys.  Couple I like so far are Jahan Dotson and Alec Pierce.  Datson at #28 Pierce #53.  So many prospects a lot of height speed guys can be had later on too.  We really need to restock the WR position and this is the year to do it.  I'd take at least 3 in this draft.  We have 3 7 rounders burn one on a flier.  Sucks drafting late every year.  Will be tough to see WR we want fly off the board before our pick.  

Gutey has to stick to BPA and not draft for need.  OT DL are other important positions.  He could go bigs with both 1st rounders depending on how the board falls. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's a 0% chance that 8 WRs are going off the board in the first round.  Going all the way back to 2000, the most WRs we've seen go off the board in the first round is 7 back in 2004.  I believe it's been 5 times that we've seen 6 WRs go off the board in the first round.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think Wilson and London and maybe Williams are gone by 22. Olave could go before that too. 

Figure the guys that will be on GB's board through Round 2 will be:

1st:  

1. Wilson
  2. London (depending on medicals)
  3. Williams (depending on medicals)
  4. Olave
  5. Burks
  6. Pickens (depending on medicals)

2nd: 

1. Metchie (depending on medicals)
  2. Dotson
  3. Watson 

This feels like the 2020 class all over again.  I don't think you're going to see any WRs go off the board in the top 12, but I think the teens you're going to see 2-3 go off the board, and 2-3 go off the board in the early-to-mid 20's.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's a 0% chance that 8 WRs are going off the board in the first round.  Going all the way back to 2000, the most WRs we've seen go off the board in the first round is 7 back in 2004.  I believe it's been 5 times that we've seen 6 WRs go off the board in the first round.

Just chatter.  I doubt it too.  Hearing a lot of talk about Pickens.  Little hands don't like that.  8 3/4".  Need guys with big strong hands at Lambeau.  Think Pierce is going to rise.  Right now sites seem to think he's a 3-4 round guy.  Maybe we we can get him just a bit later on dunno.  Fits the profile of a MLF receiver.  Very fast good blocker and adept at the back shoulder too.  Dotson polished route runner, is that quick twitch guy and can separate.  I'd be happy to walk away with both of them.  

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

This feels like the 2020 class all over again.  I don't think you're going to see any WRs go off the board in the top 12, but I think the teens you're going to see 2-3 go off the board, and 2-3 go off the board in the early-to-mid 20's.

Yea, if the Packers really want one of those 9 guys, they may have to take one either at 22 or 28. I could see those "2nd round" guys all going in the first 10 picks...basically like 2020 when guys like Higgins, Pittman, etc. flew off the board in the early 2nd. 

If the Packers really like an EDGE at 22 (i.e. Jermaine Johnson, Karlaftis, etc.) I could see them pounce and then make sure they land one of the remaining WRs at 28. 

6 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Just chatter.  I doubt it too.  Hearing a lot of talk about Pickens.  Little hands don't like that.  8 3/4".  Need guys with big strong hands at Lambeau.  Think Pierce is going to rise.  Right now sites seem to think he's a 3-4 round guy.  Maybe we we can get him just a bit later on dunno.  Fits the profile of a MLF receiver.  Very fast good blocker and adept at the back shoulder too.  Dotson polished route runner, is that quick twitch guy and can separate.  I'd be happy to walk away with both of them.  

That's still unheard of.  25% of the draft going WR seems highly unlikely.  Pierce is R2 prospect.  Maybe he sneaks late Day 1, but I think he's going off the board in that 35-50 range pretty easily.  He was a R3/R4 guy pre-Combine.