2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

Watching some Jameson Williams this evening. Serious Desean Jackson vibes. He is elite at tracking the ball down the field, and his speed does all the talking. Routes aren’t anything to write home about, but he does a nice job at times of finding the soft spot in zones and you see him do a nice job of working back to the ball on those seven-stop routes that Bama likes from the slot. 

He’s not very elusive, but he’s so damn fast that he’s still very dangerous after the catch, especially if you can get him the ball on the move. He’s surprisingly tall, which makes him a better possession guy than you’d think, but he’s not going to be your big body “throw it up and let him go get it” type. Sometimes willing but rarely effective blocker. 

I’m not sure how he fits with us. 11 is too early and 47 is probably too late. He’s a guy I see coming off the board in the late 20s or 30s — like DJax, he’s probably a little too hit or miss to ever be a good team’s primary weapon in the receiving game, but man is he going to make some big plays as somebody’s WR2. Detroit to play with Amon-Ra and Hockenson might make a lot of sense. 

EDIT TO ADD: He also covered punts for them as a gunner in big games, which I love. We have a WR currently who covered kicks like a lunatic in college, and the fact that he was willing (and his coaches were motivated) to let him go out and do that speaks volumes to me about toughness and desire. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 1:25 AM, e16bball said:

Watching some Jameson Williams this evening. Serious Desean Jackson vibes. He is elite at tracking the ball down the field, and his speed does all the talking. Routes aren’t anything to write home about, but he does a nice job at times of finding the soft spot in zones and you see him do a nice job of working back to the ball on those seven-stop routes that Bama likes from the slot. 

He’s not very elusive, but he’s so damn fast that he’s still very dangerous after the catch, especially if you can get him the ball on the move. He’s surprisingly tall, which makes him a better possession guy than you’d think, but he’s not going to be your big body “throw it up and let him go get it” type. Sometimes willing but rarely effective blocker. 

I’m not sure how he fits with us. 11 is too early and 47 is probably too late. He’s a guy I see coming off the board in the late 20s or 30s — like DJax, he’s probably a little too hit or miss to ever be a good team’s primary weapon in the receiving game, but man is he going to make some big plays as somebody’s WR2. Detroit to play with Amon-Ra and Hockenson might make a lot of sense. 

EDIT TO ADD: He also covered punts for them as a gunner in big games, which I love. We have a WR currently who covered kicks like a lunatic in college, and the fact that he was willing (and his coaches were motivated) to let him go out and do that speaks volumes to me about toughness and desire. 

I like the comp to DJax. I worry about drafting a player who tore his ACL. We’ve never had any luck except with Fuller in drafting or signing an injured player who’s gotten healthy and it’s turned out well for us. 

I feel like we’re going to take Olave, Garret Wilson or Drake London at 11. After that, I don’t think we take a WR until maybe late in the draft. Round 2 I’m hoping we go ILB or FS but I could see us taking another position but not a WR again.

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I like the comp to DJax. I feel like we’re going to take Olave, Garret Wilson or Drake London at 11. After that, I don’t think we take a WR until maybe late in the draft. Round 2 I’m hoping we go ILB or FS but I could see us taking another position but not a WR again.

How do we replace Scherff ? Draft or F A ?

Just now, turtle28 said:

@MacDog already answered what I’d say, Wes S or Charles can start opposite Flowers, I also think we’ll draft an G in the mid rounds to compete w/ them.

I knew I read that somewhere and agreed with it immediately. It just makes sense.

I actually like our approach towards OL under Ron and feel fine losing Scherff.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm a proponent of drafting a lineman somewhere in the first 3 rounds of every draft. However, I do not want to trade down out of the 2nd just to pick up a 3rd. I think there will be some good talent that will be gone between 2.17 and 3.11

I agree with you, Thai.

The talent is deep in the draft, but not high end talent blue chip good.

It's also why I support the Wentz trade. We didn't give up that much for him & it would be easy to recoup those picks in a trade down in the first Rd.

Which we should do anyways, cause the talent at 11, may not be any different than the talent in the 2nd Rd.

Personally, this is the perfect draft to do the ole' step latter trade down.

#11-#13 (probably get you 3rd or 4th)

#13 to #17 (probably gets you a 3rd or 4th)

#17-#24 (probably gets you a 3rd or 4th)

All of a sudden, you're picking at #24 with solid players still on the board.

You've completely recouped all the picks traded for Wentz, if not more.

And drafting WR Olave at #24 cause he's the best available prospect on your draft board.

Then you got your 2nd Rd pick

2 or 3 3rd rounders

2 or 3 4th rounders

To really hit on those O-lineman your talking about & other really good prospects.