2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I swear this is gone over every couple of years when someone comes in with a lot of mobility. 

Mariota?

Kaepernick?

RG3?

Vince Young? 

Cam Newton? 

Hell, throw Taysom Hill in there too. 

They get flashy for a season or two, fanboys drool over the fantasy points and playability in Madden tournaments, and within a couple of years they get figured out and fall off the map- if they made it in the first place. 

Everyone keeps looking for the new Vick type to redefine the QB position, and it's hilarious.  

Murray had a hot start, but he fizzled out as the season wore on, his play style caught up, and the turnovers mounted. 

Lamar Jackson has been almost as bad as some of the rookies.  

Both play in offenses sooooo particularly tailored to them that they genuinely may not have anywhere near the trade value one may expect.

Jackson would absolutely flop outside of Baltimore if asked to run a traditional offense. He barely pulls it off there in the first place. There's no longevity there. Once the scheme is figured out, and it will be, he's toast. Baltimore should enjoy the ride while it lasts. 

Murray may have some success elsewhere, but not much. Another case of enjoying lightning in a bottle before it crashes down. 

Remember when RG3 was supposed to change the NFL? In a mobile QB-friendly system designed by the Shanahan? How his mobility would make up for his shortcomings as a passer?

I sure do. I also remember when that "other" QB Washington drafted in the 4th that is mobile-ish, but more of a traditional QB took the reigns away from the guy people wanted to trade the house for, and made him last week's news that got shipped out to the QB graveyard in Cleveland. 

Why did nobody ever sign Kaepernick? Yes, his personal stances likely made some owners, GMs, or coaches flinch a bit. But let's be real, we've seen worse. If Kaepernick were a top 5-10 QB, someone would have brought him in. The problem is that he couldn't play QB B effectively outside of a system designed almost exclusively for him. It wasn't worth the investment. Harbaugh/Roman and then Kelly created a system that masked his flaws- much like Roman has done for Jackson. 

Some day, people will finally get the picture that QB is not just a RB who can toss the rock a bit. Nobody in their right mind is taking Murray or Jackson over a Carr or Cousins in a trade, because then they'd have to then set out and replicate a gimmick offense and hope it works a second time. 

Pretty much nailed it.  You clearly understand the QB position and your evaluations are spot on.  

Here is a big question that the Ravens will face shortly.  If you were the GM of Baltimore and it's time to talk contract extension with Jackson what would you do?  He will demand to be paid as the top QB in the NFL and will want at least 40 per season which is highway robbery.  

As the GM facing this scenario, I would attempt to ship him out for 3 or 4 1st round picks. While you or I would never pay that price for Jackson I assure you there is some GM that would pay a kings ransom for him.  The Ravens GM would never trade him even though it is the smart thing to do, they will end up paying him and his career will fizzle out shortly thereafter.  Even though it's the smart thing to do the move is not risk adverse.  

How the trade is judged will depend on a few things, the success or failure of the Qb who replaces him and Jacksons success outside of Baltimore are the two main things.  What players are drafted with the acquired picks would also be factored into the success of failure of the trade but at a lesser percentage than the first two.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I’ve never claimed to be a talent evaluator. I like using the eye test. With that said, I just finished watching the FCS Championship game and Montana State LB Troy Anderson jumped off the screen at me. 6’4” 235 lbs and can run. Late rounder imo. Check him out and let me know what you think.

Troy Anderson is someone that has caught my eye as well, I mentioned him a few pages back. Dan Bugler from the Athletic thinks he'll be a 3rd-4th round pick after the combine. He came to Montana State as a QB, moved to RB/FB, and then finally transitioned to LB. 

As a freshman at Montana State he rushed for 1,400 yards/21 TD and his senior season at LB he has 147 tackles, 14 TFL, 4 sacks, 2 INT. Dude is just a natural athlete that you can move all around the field defensively. Would love to pair him with Deablo going forward.

50 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Pretty much nailed it.  You clearly understand the QB position and your evaluations are spot on.  

Here is a big question that the Ravens will face shortly.  If you were the GM of Baltimore and it's time to talk contract extension with Jackson what would you do?  He will demand to be paid as the top QB in the NFL and will want at least 40 per season which is highway robbery.  

As the GM facing this scenario, I would attempt to ship him out for 3 or 4 1st round picks. While you or I would never pay that price for Jackson I assure you there is some GM that would pay a kings ransom for him.  The Ravens GM would never trade him even though it is the smart thing to do, they will end up paying him and his career will fizzle out shortly thereafter.  Even though it's the smart thing to do the move is not risk adverse.  

How the trade is judged will depend on a few things, the success or failure of the Qb who replaces him and Jacksons success outside of Baltimore are the two main things.  What players are drafted with the acquired picks would also be factored into the success of failure of the trade but at a lesser percentage than the first two.

If I'm Baltimore's GM, I'm hoping and praying someone is desperate enough to want to try and catch lightning in a bottle with Jackson and is dumb enough to give up a big chunk for him. 

If he can't be traded, I'm tagging him and trying to keep trade talks open. 

By the end of the year, his value will almost certainly have dropped in terms of leverage on an extension. He was horrid this year as a passer and missed the most important part of their year (along with various other things that have made him questionable in terms of reliability). 

Basically, I'm doing everything in my power to avoid handing him a monster extension and forcing his mommy's hand (seriously, I wonder if it's dawned on him how dumb it was to gamble on himself without a real agent and, assuming he's not totally oblivious, knowing that his skill set is unique and requires a lot of specifics to actually be worth said extension). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If I'm Baltimore's GM, I'm hoping and praying someone is desperate enough to want to try and catch lightning in a bottle with Jackson and is dumb enough to give up a big chunk for him. 

If he can't be traded, I'm tagging him and trying to keep trade talks open. 

By the end of the year, his value will almost certainly have dropped in terms of leverage on an extension. He was horrid this year as a passer and missed the most important part of their year (along with various other things that have made him questionable in terms of reliability). 

Basically, I'm doing everything in my power to avoid handing him a monster extension and forcing his mommy's hand (seriously, I wonder if it's dawned on him how dumb it was to gamble on himself without a real agent and, assuming he's not totally oblivious, knowing that his skill set is unique and requires a lot of specifics to actually be worth said extension). 

Tyler Huntley essentially playing just as good as Lamar Jackson definitely changes the negotiation process for Baltimore.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If Ross' meds check out and he's available in the 3rd or 4th, I snap him up regardless of who I've taken previously in the draft. 

I’ve realized that big receivers with good feet/quicks are the group I miss on the most. The whole league missed on Tee Higgins and Ross is very similar.

I've never been a fan of takings WR's early in the draft and while I do like Williams I think value can be had later on.  One player who would pose good WR value in the 2nd and certainly in the 3rd is George Pickens.   He possesses the athleticism and size we desperately need.  

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

I've never been a fan of takings WR's early in the draft and while I do like Williams I think value can be had later on.  One player who would pose good WR value in the 2nd and certainly in the 3rd is George Pickens.   He possesses the athleticism and size we desperately need.  

George Pickens will likely be a 2nd round pick and is essentially the same player as Bryan Edwards.

15 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I’ve realized that big receivers with good feet/quicks are the group I miss on the most. The whole league missed on Tee Higgins and Ross is very similar.

Big bodied WR's are kind of being phased out in the modern NFL. There are still some good ones in guys like Evans, Higgins, Metcalf, etc. But the top WRs in the NFL this season were all smaller, faster guys like Kupp, Chase, Samuel, Adams, Diggs, Hill, Johnson, Godwin.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Big bodied WR's are kind of being phased out in the modern NFL. There are still some good ones in guys like Evans, Higgins, Metcalf, etc. But the top WRs in the NFL this season were all smaller, faster guys like Kupp, Chase, Samuel, Adams, Diggs, Hill, Johnson, Godwin.

You’re forgetting this physical specimen 

img_1810.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BackinBlack said:

You’re forgetting this physical specimen 

img_1810.png

Exactly. Bryan Edwards is 6'3 215 with 4.4 speed and had an amazing highlight real full of spectacular one handed grabs at South Carolina. When Ruggs got cut was he the guy that stepped into the #1 WR role? Nope, it was 5'10" 180 slot WR Hunter Renfrow. 

• Like 1