2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

6 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Exactly! Leatherwood wasn’t physically dominated, he made mental errors that are correctable and/or learnable.  Rookies need time to develop.  I’m hoping we move to a man/power blocking system like NE had because I think it better suits Leatherwood and Good.  

and Jacobs

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

This from The guy who once penciled Maliek Collins in as the star of our defense and said:

Maliek Collins was one of 5 defensive linemen in the NFL last season who were double teamed on more than 66% of their rushes last season. Drawing similar attention to All-Pro's Chris Jones and Aaron Donald. “

Pencil them in as a potential starter?  Do you realize how wishy-washy you sound? That’s not what I said exactly, but can you get any more non-committal then “pencilling” a 2nd year 1st round pick in as a “potential starter”.  The irony is you said that wouldn’t be smart lol.

You realize that Maliek Collins was a Rod Maraneli guy from his days in Dallas and that the coaching staff was calling him the key to the defense before the season, right? That's why it was fair to pencil him in as a starter, lol.

We've seen it with both of regime changes, the new coaches are not committed to the guys that the previous front office brought in. Gruden didn't play Karl Joseph and immediately shipped out guys like Mack, Cooper, and Conley. Gus Bradley didn't really use Ferrell, Arnette, Littleton, or Kwit despite their draft status and big contracts. 

McDaniels and his new staff aren't going to just hand Leatherwood the starting job because Mayock selected him highly.

Damn Ruggs.. would of really wished to avoid drafting a WR in the 1st again. But after seeing Kupp, Odell, Chase, Higgins, and Boyd in the Super Bowl, it’s clear WR has become one of the most important positions in the game. Funny, 4-5 years ago it was still the least important position in the entire sport outside of RB-G-K-P. Now it’s QB > EDGE > WR > DT > LT if we are going by team success results of the past few years. 

I wonder which WR fits McDaniels scheme the best. I haven’t dug anything past the Top 3-4 guys yet. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Damn Ruggs.. would of really wished to avoid drafting a WR in the 1st again. But after seeing Kupp, Odell, Chase, Higgins, and Boyd in the Super Bowl, it’s clear WR has become one of the most important positions in the game. Funny, 4-5 years ago it was still the least important position in the entire sport outside of RB-G-K-P. Now it’s QB > EDGE > WR > DT > LT if we are going by team success results of the past few years. 

I wonder which WR fits McDaniels scheme the best. I haven’t dug anything past the Top 3-4 guys yet. 

Other than Randy Moss the most productive WR's that the Patriots had under McDaniels were guys like Wes Welker and Julian Edleman.  

34 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Other than Randy Moss the most productive WR's that the Patriots had under McDaniels were guys like Wes Welker and Julian Edleman.  

We already have one of those in Renfrow though. Sounds like we need a well rounded #1, or a speed guy. Either or. 

Or a well rounded #1 guy that actually has elite speed… those seem rare though. Usually one or the other. 

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Christian Watson looking good man. Gonna be a 2nd rounder or maybe even a 1st if he tests well. Not many guys move like that at 6'4. So fluid.

First person that comes to mind like this is Claypool. Started out as a 4th Rounder and climbed to the 2nd, and rightfully so. His size and speed + overall combine was pretty great. 

Diva though, unfortunately. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

You realize that Maliek Collins was a Rod Maraneli guy from his days in Dallas and that the coaching staff was calling him the key to the defense before the season, right? That's why it was fair to pencil him in as a starter, lol.

We've seen it with both of regime changes, the new coaches are not committed to the guys that the previous front office brought in. Gruden didn't play Karl Joseph and immediately shipped out guys like Mack, Cooper, and Conley. Gus Bradley didn't really use Ferrell, Arnette, Littleton, or Kwit despite their draft status and big contracts. 

McDaniels and his new staff aren't going to just hand Leatherwood the starting job because Mayock selected him highly.

Oh I realize Collins played for Maranelli, it Was no secret.  It’s all anyone talked about. But It after the first 9 minutes of watching Collins game tape it was clear as day to anyone he wasn’t anything more then a 3rd if not 4th DT that’s sole use would be to come in on passing downs to rush. And even then he was horribly undisciplined with his rush lanes and “YOLO’d” (as I call it) every snap.  And versus the run him Being there was actually worse then if he stayed on the sidelines.  

And because of some PFF quadrant chart and one Twitter video of a spin move sack You ran to grab your pencil and wrote down “3tech starter” and compared him to Aaron Donald!

Did I say he was being handed the job?  Did I even say anything about depth charts and pencils?  No That was all you.  

I simply said I expect AL to start at G and improve steadily.  I Also Said he Wasn’t as bad as you make him out to be, which was literally “the worst G in the league”.

Even If I take my opinion of AL out of this and being entirely objective…. It’s more likely then not AL starts And here’s why:

we just rebuilt 4/5 of the OL last year.  We’re not likely to add 3 new OL starters this off-season.  We have issues or a void at LG, RG, RT and only Simpson, who played worse then AL, and Good on the roster.  The most likely path to filling out the OL IMO is to sign a FA OR draft a RT in rounds 1-2, move AL to LG (or possibly RG), and either keep Good at 4.18M to play the other G spot on cut him and sign a better FA for a few more million (prolly under 7-8M).

Good is more on the hot seat then AL.  He missed the entire year, has a mild injury history throughout his career, he’s about to turn 31 next month, has only been a regular starter twice in his career: ‘16+’20.  In ‘16 on the Colts he wasn’t the starter to start the season but due to injuries he started at 10 games.  In ‘20 he went from a backup that wasn’t “pencilled” in to even make the team but did make the cut and then Trent Brown faked injuries and Good was thrust into the lineup.  He did play pretty well, but wasn’t amazing by any means; and only started 8 Games.  If you want to talk about replaceable to a new regime look no farther then Denzel Good.  He’s got no guaranteed money and a 4.18M salary.  The GM could very easily decide to cut Good and sign a FA of his choosing for around 6-8.   Everyone seems to be “pen’ing” Good in as a starter but it’s very conceivable he’s cut before TC.

AL on the other hand is only in his 2nd year and isn’t at all going to be cut due To his contract.   He might have a cheap veteran brought in to push him and replace him if he struggles badly for the first 1/3 the season… but he’s going to start.  He’s got too much potential to not get in the lineup.  The new regime will Want to see what he can do and then make a decision on him.  I’ll put money on it…. $100? AL will start weak 1 unless injured/covid/etc.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Oh I realize Collins played for Maranelli, it Was no secret.  It’s all anyone talked about. But It after the first 9 minutes of watching Collins game tape it was clear as day to anyone he wasn’t anything more then a 3rd if not 4th DT that’s sole use would be to come in on passing downs to rush. And even then he was horribly undisciplined with his rush lanes and “YOLO’d” (as I call it) every snap.  And versus the run him Being there was actually worse then if he stayed on the sidelines.  

And because of some PFF quadrant chart and one Twitter video of a spin move sack You ran to grab your pencil and wrote down “3tech starter” and compared him to Aaron Donald!

Did I say he was being handed the job?  Did I even say anything about depth charts and pencils?  No That was all you.  

I simply said I expect AL to start at G and improve steadily.  I Also Said he Wasn’t as bad as you make him out to be, which was literally “the worst G in the league”.

Even If I take my opinion of AL out of this and being entirely objective…. It’s more likely then not AL starts And here’s why:

we just rebuilt 4/5 of the OL last year.  We’re not likely to add 3 new OL starters this off-season.  We have issues or a void at LG, RG, RT and only Simpson, who played worse then AL, and Good on the roster.  The most likely path to filling out the OL IMO is to sign a FA OR draft a RT in rounds 1-2, move AL to LG (or possibly RG), and either keep Good at 4.18M to play the other G spot on cut him and sign a better FA for a few more million (prolly under 7-8M).

Good is more on the hot seat then AL.  He missed the entire year, has a mild injury history throughout his career, he’s about to turn 31 next month, has only been a regular starter twice in his career: ‘16+’20.  In ‘16 on the Colts he wasn’t the starter to start the season but due to injuries he started at 10 games.  In ‘20 he went from a backup that wasn’t “pencilled” in to even make the team but did make the cut and then Trent Brown faked injuries and Good was thrust into the lineup.  He did play pretty well, but wasn’t amazing by any means; and only started 8 Games.  If you want to talk about replaceable to a new regime look no farther then Denzel Good.  He’s got no guaranteed money and a 4.18M salary.  The GM could very easily decide to cut Good and sign a FA of his choosing for around 6-8.   Everyone seems to be “pen’ing” Good in as a starter but it’s very conceivable he’s cut before TC.

AL on the other hand is only in his 2nd year and isn’t at all going to be cut due To his contract.   He might have a cheap veteran brought in to push him and replace him if he struggles badly for the first 1/3 the season… but he’s going to start.  He’s got too much potential to not get in the lineup.  The new regime will Want to see what he can do and then make a decision on him.  I’ll put money on it…. $100? AL will start weak 1 unless injured/covid/etc.

TLDR: The new staff has zero commitment to Leatherwood

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

We already have one of those in Renfrow though. Sounds like we need a well rounded #1, or a speed guy. Either or. 

Or a well rounded #1 guy that actually has elite speed… those seem rare though. Usually one or the other. 

Based on what Ziegler did last off-season signing Nelly and Bourne, I think that Meyers (Pats guy), Kirk, and Gallup are all realistic targets.

55 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Based on what Ziegler did last off-season signing Nelly and Bourne, I think that Meyers (Pats guy), Kirk, and Gallup are all realistic targets.

I don't think Meyers is much of an upgrade to Edwards. Both possession types, Gallup might be a steal. He seems like a baller. Kirk is more of a slot/Zay Jones type. Meh about him