2022 Draft Talk

swede700

13 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I know Sauce is getting a lot of love but are we as Vikings fan not giving enough to Booth Jr. at #12?

I have to imagine that Stingley Jr. would be a no-brainer pick if he's there at #12.

Sauce is the most likely pick, and Stingley would be a dream, but not as likely. I am not a big fan of Booth. Not as sticky in coverage as those other two guys. I like Gardner a lot and what impressed me most is his game speed. I’m not saying he’s Deion, but he’s got that fast twitch movement that pops out on film. 

If we look at other positions, maybe Karlaftis or Linderbaum? I think Karlaftis is going to be a big time player so I would really like that pick, but DE is pretty deep this year so we might pick one later on. I don’t like the QB class this year so if we’re going to replace Cousins, we need to go after a proven vet. Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson or Derek Carr would be upgrades. Overall I think this will be a very interesting offseason. 

27 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

If we look at other positions, maybe Karlaftis or Linderbaum?

I just can't get behind a center in the first again.

Kyle Hamilton at safety is a no brainer, but he won't fall. Edge is deep this year. But how about...linebacker!?! With Barr probably leaving, we have Kendricks and...thats really it for starting caliber LBs. Why not add someone like a Nakobe Dean who is essentially the next Roquan Smith/Jon Vilma? I think about this constantly with Nakobe and how sick it would be to pair him in the middle with Kendricks and have two modern day LBs between them two.

I think so much of this draft will depend on the GM. 

if it becomes analytic driven it will be very interesting. They will have values for each position, each player, and even need for the team. 

Probably will draft for value and not so much position of need. If a WR could be rated higher on the full scale they could just take him to get the best players available.

21 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

They have, what, two* CBs? You need four or five. They have zero starters that anyone loves. There will be a good starting CB there. Take him. 

*Whatever the number is, really, it isn't enough.

Yeah but I’m sure Peterson will be back. So Peterson, Gardner, Dantzler, Boyd & Hand will be the guys, if* we take Gardner in the first. If we pass on CB in the first we can still take Kyler Gordon in the second, who I believe will be a solid player. This draft is pretty deep with CBs and DEs, which happen to be our two biggest needs every year. 

34 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I just can't get behind a center in the first again.

Kyle Hamilton at safety is a no brainer, but he won't fall. Edge is deep this year. But how about...linebacker!?! With Barr probably leaving, we have Kendricks and...thats really it for starting caliber LBs. Why not add someone like a Nakobe Dean who is essentially the next Roquan Smith/Jon Vilma? I think about this constantly with Nakobe and how sick it would be to pair him in the middle with Kendricks and have two modern day LBs between them two.

I don’t think Barr will ever leave the Vikings, especially when he’s playing with his longtime teammate Kendricks. If our starting LBs next year are Barr, Kendricks and Lynch, I think we’ll be alright. Also good LBs are easier to find than good corners or edge rushers. Which is why I don’t think we should ever take a first round LB unless that’s our only position of need. 

Edited by Purplepride323

6 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I don’t think Barr will ever leave the Vikings, especially when he’s playing with his longtime teammate Kendricks. If our starting LBs next year are Barr, Kendricks and Lynch, I think we’ll be alright. Also good LBs are easier to find than good corners or edge rushers. Which is why I don’t think we should ever take a first round LB unless that’s our only position of need. 

my thought is. if you have a grade on a LB that is "all pro, very likely to reach his ceiling" and then you have a grade on the next best CB as "above average starter".

Why draft for need? Get the BPA as that LB is going to impact your defense as a complete stud way more than that CB who is just above average.

7 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Yeah but I’m sure Peterson will be back. So Peterson, Gardner, Dantzler, Boyd & Hand will be the guys, if* we take Gardner in the first. If we pass on CB in the first we can still take Kyler Gordon in the second, who I believe will be a solid player. This draft is pretty deep with CBs and DEs, which happen to be our two biggest needs every year. 

I mean, right now they have Dantzler, Boyd and Hand........which was my point. That isn't good. 

Just now, battle2heaven said:

my thought is. if you have a grade on a LB that is "all pro, very likely to reach his ceiling" and then you have a grade on the next best CB as "above average starter".

Why draft for need? Get the BPA as that LB is going to impact your defense as a complete stud way more than that CB who is just above average.

Because you need 5 corner backs.....and they have three bad to ok ones. Doesn't matter how good your LBers are, if you can't cover WRs at all.

IF the BPA every year was QB, should a team with a great QB take QB and throw away an improved chance at winning now? You take a starter that impacts your team the most, and for this team, that is CB right now.

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

You take a starter that impacts your team the most, and for this team, that is CB right now

our LB depth is just as bad as our cornerback depth. 

We aren't going to go into the draft with our current CB group; there will be additions, subtractions, etc. Same for the LB. Your analogy is dramatic because a team with a great QB isn't going to be in position to take a QB that is graded out as a can't miss prospect....unless you have that great QB hurt all year and your team sucks so much you get the #1 pick (see Colts Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning Situation).

But I'm of the mindset you take the all pro and worry about it later. You want to have the best football players.

7 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

We aren't going to go into the draft with our current CB group; there will be additions, subtractions, etc. Same for the LB. Your analogy is dramatic because a team with a great QB isn't going to be in position to take a QB that is graded out as a can't miss prospect....unless you have that great QB hurt all year and your team sucks so much you get the #1 pick (see Colts Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning Situation).

But I'm of the mindset you take the all pro and worry about it later. You want to have the best football players.

The Packers traded up in the first round do draft Jordan Love only two years ago, and the whole NFL went into a frenzy. I know GMs like to say they draft BPA but that’s not true most of the time. Teams draft players that they’re high on, that could fill immediate positions of need. Unless you make a bonehead move like the Packers and almost send the best QB in the league into retirement.

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

CB is a more critical & tougher position to play than LB. Which is why the good ones are so hard to come by. Every team has a good LB, but not every team has a lockdown corner. 

5 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

The Packers traded up in the first round do draft Jordan Love only two years ago, and the whole NFL went into a frenzy. I know GMs like to say they draft BPA but that’s not true most of the time. Teams draft players that they’re high on, that could fill immediate positions of need. Unless you make a bonehead move like the Packers and almost send the best QB in the league into retirement.

We're acting as if LB won't be a position of need given the current roster. Don't we remember we spent the 7th pick on Anthony Barr for Zimmer's first ever draft pick? There are really two LBs here this year that are worthy of a 1st round pick this year, and I have no clue if they'll fit the scheme of the new coach or new DC, but I think they should be in discussion here.