2022 Draft Talk

swede700

On 1/25/2022 at 9:23 AM, battle2heaven said:

With the lack of top end talent in this draft, and the bulk of the talent grouped in the middle, I can really see the new GM targeting those 2-4 rounds to help rebuild this team.

If KAM becomes the GM, I 99% expect a trade down from 12, re-coup that lost 4th rounder, and a lot of maneuvering to where the bulk of the talent is. 

I think we should prepare to not pick at 12, but probably in the early 20s eventually. 

And that's usually why teams are rarely wanting to trade up. We have recent history with the Steelers moving up from 20 to 10 to select Devin Bush costing them their SRP this year and a 3rd round pick the next year.  Seems a high price to pay if the high-end talent isn't there.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And that's usually why teams are rarely wanting to trade up. We have recent history with the Steelers moving up from 20 to 10 to select Devin Bush costing them their SRP this year and a 3rd round pick the next year.  Seems a high price to pay if the high-end talent isn't there.

Typically teams will move up for a QB. In this draft...who knows. If Pickett (or whoever is top QB after draft season) falls to 12 I can see a team like the Steelers or Saints wanting to move up. 

Just now, battle2heaven said:

Typically teams will move up for a QB. In this draft...who knows. If Pickett (or whoever is top QB after draft season) falls to 12 I can see a team like the Steelers or Saints wanting to move up. 

Why wouldn't they move up to 10 or 11 instead?  You have to imagine the value is pretty similar to move up to those spots.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Why wouldn't they move up to 10 or 11 instead?  You have to imagine the value is pretty similar to move up to those spots.

of course they could. I mean, all of this isn't happening before the draft. The draft board, the previous selections, teams intentions, all of that plays a role. Look at what the bears did with Fields last year. I am just saying, hypothetically if a QB is there that a team below the Vikings like, and the Vikings don't have a high grade on that QB, I can see that as trade partners. 

Edit: but you already know all of this

Edited by battle2heaven

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Because he fell to 12. That's the scenario proposed.

And we can discuss every hypothetical until the end of days.  But you also need to look at both sides.  If the board is so rough that Minnesota doesn't want to pick at 12, why would another team want to move up and give up a premium to do so?  Every offseason, multiple fanbases talk about this exact same scenario, and 99.9% of the  time those trades never manifest.  It's a fun offseason discussion, but it's rarely in the realm of possibilities.

4 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

sometimes I feel he just wants to be contrarian. 

No.  I'm legitimately asking for someone to defend why the board is so rough that Minnesota wants to trade down yet not bad enough that a team is willing to mortgage the future to move up?  The list of non-top 10 pick trades that involve a future FRP are rare.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And we can discuss every hypothetical until the end of days.  But you also need to look at both sides.  If the board is so rough that Minnesota doesn't want to pick at 12, why would another team want to move up and give up a premium to do so?  Every offseason, multiple fanbases talk about this exact same scenario, and 99.9% of the  time those trades never manifest.  It's a fun offseason discussion, but it's rarely in the realm of possibilities.

are you for real right now? last year, bears trade dup to 11 from 20, jets traded up to 14 from 23, and even eagles traded up to 10 from 12. 

Trades like this happen all the time. It's not about the board being rough, it's about the wants and needs of each invidual team. Every team is on a different spot on the competition spectrum. Some feel they need that one piece, some feel they need multiple pieces. Like I said before, go ahead and throw a bucket of cold water on this discussion, that's fine. This is the draft thread to discuss these types of draft scenarios. Why are you even the moderator here?

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No.  I'm legitimately asking for someone to defend why the board is so rough that Minnesota wants to trade down yet not bad enough that a team is willing to mortgage the future to move up?  The list of non-top 10 pick trades that involve a future FRP are rare.

I never said anything about needed a future first round pick. 

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

are you for real right now? last year, bears trade dup to 11 from 20, jets traded up to 14 from 23, and even eagles traded up to 10 from 12. 

Trades like this happen all the time. It's not about the board being rough, it's about the wants and needs of each invidual team. Every team is on a different spot on the competition spectrum. Some feel they need that one piece, some feel they need multiple pieces. Like I said before, go ahead and throw a bucket of cold water on this discussion, that's fine. This is the draft thread to discuss these types of draft scenarios. Why are you even the moderator here?

I was referring to trades involving future FRPs like @PrplChilPill mentioned, so apologies if that was being misrepresented here.  Only the Fields' trade involved a future FRP, which I think was the Bears reluctance to deal their SRP.  I think in hindsight, the Bears would have given up that SRP instead of deal their FRP this year.

18 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

She/They/He moderates in the GB forum.

Edited by marshpit23
Did not want to inadvertently assign the wrong pronoun

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

If you need to be right that badly... Have a great day.

Just now, JDBrocks said:

If you need to be right that badly... Have a great day.

It's not about being right or wrong, it's about having a discussion like you said.  You have to discuss both sides of the argument.  As I mentioned, the list of future FRPs involved outside the top 10 picks isn't very common.

Just now, CWood21 said:

It's not about being right or wrong, it's about having a discussion like you said.  You have to discuss both sides of the argument.  As I mentioned, the list of future FRPs involved outside the top 10 picks isn't very common.

You needed to change the proposed scenario to discredit it. He said a QB fell to 12, meaning the other selections have already been made, and was considering whether or not a QB needy team would be willing to jump up to get him. If you don't think it would happen that's fine. You just sound super arrogant right now.