2022 Draft Talk

swede700

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I won’t be shocked if 3 quarterbacks are drafted in the top 10. 

What?  Would be great for the Vikings but one could argue at this point in terms of next season only Atlanta has a question at QB.  Not sure Willis, Pickett, Strong or Ridder would be upgrades over the likes of Jared Goff, Sam Darnold, Drew Lock, Zach Wilson, Daniel Jones and Davis Mills, heck could even throw Marcus Mariota in there maybe.  Especially considering most could wait till the 2nd round to address the QB or later in the 1st like the Lions.

Fact is would I take any QB in the 2022 draft over these six, the answer is no.  And if Justin Fields struggled last year with Pro level passing think how Willis could struggle and Fields was a far more accomplished and proven passer than Willis.  

Trevor Lawrence
Justin Fields
Trey Lance
Zach Wilson
Mac Jones

Would be great for Minnesota and many other teams if they pass on QBs.  But there is almost no way that happens, but say it did then obviously the likes of Stingley or Travon Walker could fall to Minnesota.  But that is almost absurd to even pretend 3 QBs would be taken that high.

1.    Jacksonville Jaguars - Evan Neal Alabama JR OT/OG  
  2.    Detroit Lions - Aidan Hutchinson Michigan SR DE  
  3.   Houston Texans - QB?   
  4.    New York Jets - Ikem Ekwonu NC State RS SOPH OG/OT
  5.   New York Giants - Kyle Hamilton Notre Dame JR S  
  6.   Carolina Panthers  - QB?  
  7.   New York Giants via (Chicago Bears) - Kayvon Thibodeau Oregon JR DE   
  8.    Atlanta Falcons - QB? 
  9.  Seattle Seahawks via (Denver Broncos) - Ahmad Gardner Cincinnati JR CB
 10.    New York Jets via (Seattle Seahawks) - Jermaine Johnson Florida State SR LB/DE
 11.  Washington Commanders - Charles Cross Miss State RS SOPH OT

What Willis, Pickett and Strong?  Maybe long shot two but that is a big long shot, not sure Willis would even be as good as Mills was last year, more upside granted but not sure he is ready to start out the gate and not sure the Panthers would take Pickett or Sam Darnold either or Strong/Ridder of Marcus Mariota with a HC that has been with Mariota before.

On 3/22/2022 at 7:07 PM, gopherwrestler said:

The more I watch Jordan Davis….. the more I want to watch Jordan Davis on the Vikings.

I agree that is what I have right now for them.  I have watched Jordan Davis for three years, impressive his SOPH year, disappointed as a JR and some what hurt, in and out of the lineup but put it together this year especially late.  Does need to keep on his current conditioning routine though to stay on the field and keep that explosiveness.  

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

What?  Would be great for the Vikings but one could argue at this point in terms of next season only Atlanta has a question at QB.  Not sure Willis, Pickett, Strong or Ridder would be upgrades over the likes of Jared Goff, Sam Darnold, Drew Lock, Zach Wilson, Daniel Jones and Davis Mills, heck could even throw Marcus Mariota in there maybe.  Especially considering most could wait till the 2nd round to address the QB or later in the 1st like the Lions.

Fact is would I take any QB in the 2022 draft over these six, the answer is no.  And if Justin Fields struggled last year with Pro level passing think how Willis could struggle and Fields was a far more accomplished and proven passer than Willis.  

Trevor Lawrence
Justin Fields
Trey Lance
Zach Wilson
Mac Jones

Would be great for Minnesota and many other teams if they pass on QBs.  But there is almost no way that happens, but say it did then obviously the likes of Stingley or Travon Walker could fall to Minnesota.  But that is almost absurd to even pretend 3 QBs would be taken that high.

10.    New York Jets via (Seattle Seahawks) - Jermaine Johnson Florida State SR LB/DE

What Willis, Pickett and Strong?  Maybe long shot two but that is a big long shot, not sure Willis would even be as good as Mills was last year, more upside granted but not sure he is ready to start out the gate and not sure the Panthers would take Pickett or Sam Darnold either or Strong/Ridder of Marcus Mariota with a HC that has been with Mariota before.

Lions, Seahawks & Commanders all can be in on QBs. When your job is on the line I don't think NFL GMs and coaches are going to be very patient.

IMO Malik Wills' floor is @6 to Carolina and I wouldn't be surprised if 3 QBs went top 10 either.

Edited by viking
  • Like 2

If the Vikings went Jordan Davis at 1.12 I'd be so disappointed. Combine warrior shooting up the draft boards not because of his tape. Also while player NT - a position we have 2 players at.

Davis isn't even the best DT on his college team.....

EDGE/WR/CB at 12 is the only option  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, viking said:

If the Vikings went Jordan Davis at 1.12 I'd be so disappointed. Combine warrior shooting up the draft boards not because of his tape. Also while player NT - a position we have 2 players at.

Davis isn't even the best DT on his college team.....

EDGE/WR/CB at 12 is the only option  

Combine warrior?  Sure his tape at times was not great and he was in and out of games a lot, but the dude is absolutely huge and I believe he never played football being that well conditioned as he is right now and during the combine.  The entire team improved their conditioning before the College Football playoff because of what Bama did to them.  Jordan Davis brings energy, enthusiasm, has a motor and one could see it during the combine.   If he can keep up his current level of conditioning he could be an total terror in the NFL especially on a 3/4 with good edge guys.  

"Pass rushing and weight," Davis said. "Vonte and me stay together so we have pre-planned meals and nutritionists and we have we work out with someone to help us on our pass-rushing skills. We just keep working. I say as humans we all have the ability to change. People are going to put me in that run-stuffing box, so I wanted to show out here that I have the ability to be a three-down player."

Vita Vea: 99 tackles, 15 TFL, 9.5 sacks in 37 games over three years.

Jordan Davis (taking out 2020 where he was hurt on and off): 74 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 6 sacks in 34 games over three years.

Jordan Davis also is taller than Vea, longer arms and bigger hands and obviously ran faster and probably jumps higher, Vea did not do the jumps just ran and benched.  

Not a huge difference in terms of production and Jordan Davis was in and out a lot so that did matter in terms of his production.  Wish he would have did the bench press to see what kind of power he has but still I do not think he was this well conditioned during the year and if he continues his current treat of working out and eating he could be way better in the NFL.  But sure they could go another way depending on who falls but only way they fall is if teams get QB crazy and not sure that happens.  

1 hour ago, viking said:

Lions, Seahawks & Commanders all can be in on QBs. When your job is on the line I don't think NFL GMs and coaches are going to be very patient.

IMO Malik Wills' floor is @6 to Carolina and I wouldn't be surprised if 3 QBs went top 10 either.

Sure he could go top 3 but honestly Trey Lance to me had a more impressive Pro day, was physically more impressive, looked a bit more powerful and strong and had a better more compact release.  And he did not play last year and was not ready for the NFL to start and Willis is a less developed passer in terms of knowing where to put the football and not throwing interceptions and making mistakes.  So if a team takes him that high and sits him all year, not sure they will love that which is the issue, is an organization willing to sit him and give him time to develop or just throw him out there because he has upside.    

2 hours ago, viking said:

Agreed.  If you've paid any real attention to the draft over the years, you know that teams that don't have franchise QBs will continue to take swings at QBs even in years where they may not be real strong at the position.  One needs to even look at the 2011 Draft for a perfect example.  While there were some decent prospects at the top after Cam Newton, most of us thought for sure that either Gabbert or Locker would be available for the Vikings (at 12 ironically), but no, they were both taken in the top 10...and then we reached for Ponder.  They potentially could have traded down or traded up in the 2nd rd and got Dalton or Kaepernick, but didn't want to risk it.  It could go the same way here.  The Seahawks, rather than waiting until the 2nd rd (or packaging their 2 2nds to move up into the late 1st) could decide to take one of them at 9.  The Falcons could take one at 8 rather than waiting until the 2nd rd as well.  The Panthers are, by far, the most likely, because their 2nd pick isn't until late in the 4th round.  They may have no choice other than to take a QB in the 1st round.  

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Lions, Panthers, Falcons, Seahawks and maybe even Commanders will sniff the QBs.

Maybe even Giants; they tried to bring Trubisky in this offseason and Daniel Jones probably only has 2022 to show anything.

I can see Willis, Pickett and Corral going in the top 20.

Right now I’ve got Willis going to Detroit, Pickett going to Carolina, and Corral going to Seattle. 

Willis has a tremendous skill set, and he has that infectious personality that will galvanize a locker room. Detroit reportedly loved Willis at the Senior Bowl, and they got a great look at him while coaching that week. Willis does need some refinement in his game, and he’s probably not ready to start day one, but that’s where the Lions have the benefit of having Jared Goff. This is basically the last year of Goff’s contract (it becomes very easy to cut him after 2022), and he’s a perfect cerebral QB for Willis to learn behind. 

Pickett seems like a natural fit with Rhule’s vision, and he’s the one QB in the draft who could probably step in day one and start. He is limited a little physically, but he does so many of the nuances of the position well. Rhule and the Panthers are likely feeling the heat and they need to start winning some games.

Seattle right now has no viable QB. Yes, the coach speak talking up Drew Lock is out there, but no one is buying it. Matt Corral from a skill set stand point fits a lot of what Pete Carroll likes. He’s accurate, he’s got a lightning quick release, he understands how throw with rhythm, and he’s not afraid to push the ball down the field. But also, his personality is very fitting with Carroll. Corral is a tough as nails, highly competitive player who commands great respect from his teammates.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Right now I’ve got Willis going to Detroit, Pickett going to Carolina, and Corral going to Seattle. 

Willis has a tremendous skill set, and he has that infectious personality that will galvanize a locker room. Detroit reportedly loved Willis at the Senior Bowl, and they got a great look at him while coaching that week. Willis does need some refinement in his game, and he’s probably not ready to start day one, but that’s where the Lions have the benefit of having Jared Goff. This is basically the last year of Goff’s contract (it becomes very easy to cut him after 2022), and he’s a perfect cerebral QB for Willis to learn behind. 

Pickett seems like a natural fit with Rhule’s vision, and he’s the one QB in the draft who could probably step in day one and start. He is limited a little physically, but he does so many of the nuances of the position well. Rhule and the Panthers are likely feeling the heat and they need to start winning some games.

Seattle right now has no viable QB. Yes, the coach speak talking up Drew Lock is out there, but no one is buying it. Matt Corral from a skill set stand point fits a lot of what Pete Carroll likes. He’s accurate, he’s got a lightning quick release, he understands how throw with rhythm, and he’s not afraid to push the ball down the field. But also, his personality is very fitting with Carroll. Corral is a tough as nails, highly competitive player who commands great respect from his teammates.

That would be wonderful for Minnesota, but honestly not sure coming out of college as prospects I would take Willis over Jared Goff (sure easy to say now but not Goff coming out of Cal).  Or Pickett over Sam Darnold out of USC no way or Corral over Drew Lock out of Missouri even in terms of arm talent, maybe but Corral's injury issues are a slight concern. 

But yeah easy to say all three of those veteran guys suck on those NFL teams but not sure the rookies coming in would have amazing success and most would most likely not even start much of the year.  All would be smart to just wait and see if a QB falls to them in the 2nd but sure maybe they gamble and better players drop down because of it.

Could argue from a talent standpoint none of those QBs deserve to be top 10 picks because ranking them none are top 10 talents.  They are more bottom middle of the 1st to the early to mid 2nd round talents.  

Still got Baker Mayfield out there and I assume he will be traded to fill that QB void for one of those teams potentially.  Sure maybe the Panthers and Seahawks really need a QB based on the lack of recent success their QBS have had yes.   But Jared Goff had 3200+ yards and 19 TDs last year on a team with a lot of injured OL and pretty crap WR talent so for the Lions to waste the #2 overall pick on a QB seems foolish when they could either trade up in the middle of the 1st or wait to see who falls at the end of the 1st or wait even more till early 2nd.

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Combine warrior?  Sure his tape at times was not great and he was in and out of games a lot, but the dude is absolutely huge and I believe he never played football being that well conditioned as he is right now and during the combine.  The entire team improved their conditioning before the College Football playoff because of what Bama did to them.  Jordan Davis brings energy, enthusiasm, has a motor and one could see it during the combine.   If he can keep up his current level of conditioning he could be an total terror in the NFL especially on a 3/4 with good edge guys.  

"Pass rushing and weight," Davis said. "Vonte and me stay together so we have pre-planned meals and nutritionists and we have we work out with someone to help us on our pass-rushing skills. We just keep working. I say as humans we all have the ability to change. People are going to put me in that run-stuffing box, so I wanted to show out here that I have the ability to be a three-down player."

Vita Vea: 99 tackles, 15 TFL, 9.5 sacks in 37 games over three years.

Jordan Davis (taking out 2020 where he was hurt on and off): 74 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 6 sacks in 34 games over three years.

Jordan Davis also is taller than Vea, longer arms and bigger hands and obviously ran faster and probably jumps higher, Vea did not do the jumps just ran and benched.  

Not a huge difference in terms of production and Jordan Davis was in and out a lot so that did matter in terms of his production.  Wish he would have did the bench press to see what kind of power he has but still I do not think he was this well conditioned during the year and if he continues his current treat of working out and eating he could be way better in the NFL.  But sure they could go another way depending on who falls but only way they fall is if teams get QB crazy and not sure that happens.  

Just watched Jordan Davis Vs Clemson & Florida from this past season and his play just doesn't do it for me. I really don't think he would move the needle significantly for us. He's a great college NT but it's not something we need right now and I don't see him as dominant on tape.

Vita with 50% more TFLs and sacks is a significant increase in splash plays (funny he was drafted 12 overall in the 2018 draft).

If a NT needed team (cough Chargers cough) wants to trade up to 12 to get him I'd be happy to make that trade - possibly for draft capital in he 2023 draft when I imagine the Vikings will be trading up to draft our QBOTF

7 minutes ago, viking said:

Just watched Jordan Davis Vs Clemson & Florida from this past season and his play just doesn't do it for me. I really don't think he would move the needle significantly for us. He's a great college NT but it's not something we need right now and I don't see him as dominant on tape.

Vita with 50% more TFLs and sacks is a significant increase in splash plays (funny he was drafted 12 overall in the 2018 draft).

If a NT needed team (cough Chargers cough) wants to trade up to 12 to get him I'd be happy to make that trade - possibly for draft capital in he 2023 draft when I imagine the Vikings will be trading up to draft our QBOTF

I believe this was against Trey Smith who was an awesome pro last year for the Chiefs, Davis can play and sure NT is not a giant need but might be the best player available unless there is this run on QBs which would be flat out stupid but sure could happen.  

9969340.gif

And reality is, over his entire career Jordan Davis was not a great college NT, great this past year but the years previous he was inconsistent.  I think it is a new dude with a new way to prepare physically and could be better as a pro than he was in college but will see.  

On 3/24/2022 at 3:34 PM, viking said:

I get it's not the sexiest of positions to draft, but that man impacts a game well beyond the stat lines.  He's probably never going to be a big sack guy, but a guy who can consistently eat double teams not give up substantial ground has quite a bit of value.  I'd suspect if he was given more single-blocking opportunities the stat line would look different.

• Like 2