Grade the offseason- no Monday QBs

Humble_Beast

18 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

This doesn't get enough attention in regards to how it impacts the offensive playcalling. 

We can't get our defense off the field without giving up points, meaning our margin of error on offense is essentially nonexistent. 

When we started hot last year in games, we looked really good on offense, but virtually everything was a shootout. 

If we didn't keep pace, we were stuck playing catch up and hoping for a miracle stop on D. 

Now, the run game clearly wasn't all that great to begin with given the state of the O-line and whatnot. But we also rarely got into a position to grind the clock and get the run game's rhythm going. 

Not to excuse anyone too much, but I find it difficult to really grade anyone on offense (unless they were extraordinarily bad) given the positions we were most often in. Playcalling was bad, too, but I'm willing to wait and see if a competent defense makes any difference first. 

A decent defense will produce more turnovers and better fields position which equals to more points.

I don't know this for a fact but I'm pretty sure were one of the top teams with 80+ yd drives

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You do know the O-line was ranked 24 last year and Carr did great

Ranked 24th by who? Carr did play really well for the first 10 games of the season but then he regressed when we were in playoff contention just like he did in 2019. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Big Ben went 12-3 with the worst running game in the NFL.

This is what you quoted me saying 
Id be willing to bet that most QBs successful years are when theyve also been able to run the ball. 

Are you trying to tell me you think last year was Big Bens most successful season?

6 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

This is what you quoted me saying 
Id be willing to bet that most QBs successful years are when theyve also been able to run the ball. 

Are you trying to tell me you think last year was Big Bens most successful season?

No. But in 2016 when we made the playoffs we rushed for 1,922 yards and 17 TD, we rushed for 1,916 yards and 20 TD in 2020. So we had 6 less yards on the season and 3 more TD on the ground. We were able to run the ball last year, it was the second best rushing attack Carr has ever had. 

18 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

A decent defense will produce more turnovers and better fields position which equals to more points.

I don't know this for a fact but I'm pretty sure were one of the top teams with 80+ yd drives

Hope so. 

And yeah, I feel like we had a lot of long drives (especially ones that came up short). We were pretty good about turnovers, we just stalled out too often. And, it sure felt like every single possession was a "must score" situation. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

No. But in 2016 when we made the playoffs we rushed for 1,922 yards and 17 TD, we rushed for 1,916 yards and 20 TD in 2020. So we had 6 less yards on the season and 3 more TD on the ground. We were able to run the ball last year, it was the second best rushing attack Carr has ever had. 

We were tied for 20th in yards per attempt, and as you said, thats the 2nd best rushing attack Carr has ever had! (IE 20th isnt very good)
We also were 10th in PPG. 

So, if we were 20th in rush yards per attempt, and 10th in scoring. . .
Im no logic wizard, but id say, our passing attack must of been pretty efficient to make up for down and distance, no?

All that again to say, a good running game helps most QBs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Hope so. 

And yeah, I feel like we had a lot of long drives (especially ones that came up short). We were pretty good about turnovers, we just stalled out too often. And, it sure felt like every single possession was a "must score" situation. 

We were 6th worst in the league with 26 turnovers last season. 

Just now, BackinBlack said:

Im no logic wizard, but id say, our passing attack must of been pretty efficient to make up for down and distance, no?

As I've said Carr played at a borderline elite level the first 10 weeks of the season and then regressed down the stretch. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

As I've said Carr played at a borderline elite level the first 10 weeks of the season and then regressed down the stretch. 

Very interesting, Carrs last 6 games our rushing yards;
KC 89 yards
ATL 40
NYJ 72
Colts 79
Dolphins 104
Broncos 106

Raiders run game, that you say is the 2nd best we have ever given Carr, fell apart down the stretch. 

Very interesting, Carrs last 6 games our rushing yards;
KC 89 yards
ATL 40
NYJ 72
Colts 79
Dolphins 104
Broncos 106

Raiders run game, that you say is the 2nd best we have ever given Carr, fell apart down the stretch. 

Carr had like 12 turnovers in the final 6 games of the season. 

yea thats bad, I do feel like QBs probably have a majority? as they are the only ones fumbling and throwing pics. 
But no doubt over 50% seems high

IIRC Carr led the league in turnovers last year and has regularly led or been near the top of the league in fumbles almost every year of his career.