Grade the offseason- no Monday QBs

Humble_Beast

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

One thing that I think may be causing the offense to stall late into the season is that Gruden reveals too much of his playbook early on in the year and at the end of the season teams have too much tape on us. 

I think there is def some truth to this! He is also a very predictable play caller IE lets start every game with a nice run up the middle for 1 yard 😆

I think there are a lot of reasons why we have fallen apart the last 3 seasons. 
Carr 100% is part of the problem, but there are many factors. None of which are the sole reason. 

When you are a team built and designed to run the ball, if you cannot crack 100 yards in a game, it is not a good sign. 
I think its a fair assumption that most games we try to establish a run game, so when we are held under a 100 yards, it shows we are playing catch up on down and distance in my opinion. 
Those 3rd and 7s, lead to more blitzes, aggressive coverage schemes, which leads to more INTs and Sacks. 

1, some of Carrs fumbles are inexcusable. It hurts when you see guys like Mahommes get destroyed while holding onto ball with one arm, and maintain possession, meanwhile Carr has it in 2 hands and it pops out. Realistically, prob cant change that at this point. But, he needs to get people swatting at him throughout every practice. 

2. some times on 3rd and longs, ints dont really bother me (obviously a lot of conditions here), but if we are around mid field, a punt on 4th is going to be pretty small net gain. 

But mainly, Gruden wants to run the ball, to set up 3rd and 2s, 3rd and 3s, when we find ourself in 3rd and longs, we are in trouble because Gruden loves quick passes. Thats why we get those 3rd and 7, 2 yard passes to Jason Witten lol

Edited by BackinBlack
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

No. But in 2016 when we made the playoffs we rushed for 1,922 yards and 17 TD, we rushed for 1,916 yards and 20 TD in 2020. So we had 6 less yards on the season and 3 more TD on the ground. We were able to run the ball last year, it was the second best rushing attack Carr has ever had. 

By raw stats, sure.

But our 2020 rushing attack was wildly inconsistent. Jacobs had all of 2 100 yd games and 9 games where he averaged less than 4 ypc. And Booker didn't fair any better. 

In 2016, Murray led with 195 attempts, while Washington and Richard got 87 and 83 each, all putting up over 400 yds on a combined 365 carries at a 5.1 ypc clip. 

In 2020, Jacobs led with 273 carries at a 3.9 clip. Booker got 4.1 on 95. Richard hit 5.6 but only contributed 22 for 123. With Jacobs and Booker leading by far, it was a "4.0 ypc", but the split was decidedly skewed on their combined 368 carries. 

It may indeed have been the "2nd best rushing attack Carr has ever had", but let's not pretend it was at all comparable to the productivity and consistency that we saw in 2016 where our 3rd RB was more effective than our 2020 backup. Totally different story. Frankly, I find it hard to categorize our 2020 run game as anything but barely average. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

One thing that I think may be causing the offense to stall late into the season is that Gruden reveals too much of his playbook early on in the year and at the end of the season teams have too much tape on us. 

Gruden practically calls the exact same plays week to week too. 

No doubt our calls could easily be figured out by a savvy D. We weren't especially creative at all.

17 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Oh I'm expecting worse until the new O-line proves me wrong. 

Agreed. Cable is going to have to earn his money this year. Much easier to have a very good offensive line when you have Incognito, Hudson, Jackson, and TB. 

On 5/14/2021 at 12:07 PM, ronjon1990 said:

By raw stats, sure.

But our 2020 rushing attack was wildly inconsistent. Jacobs had all of 2 100 yd games and 9 games where he averaged less than 4 ypc. And Booker didn't fair any better. 

In 2016, Murray led with 195 attempts, while Washington and Richard got 87 and 83 each, all putting up over 400 yds on a combined 365 carries at a 5.1 ypc clip. 

In 2020, Jacobs led with 273 carries at a 3.9 clip. Booker got 4.1 on 95. Richard hit 5.6 but only contributed 22 for 123. With Jacobs and Booker leading by far, it was a "4.0 ypc", but the split was decidedly skewed on their combined 368 carries. 

It may indeed have been the "2nd best rushing attack Carr has ever had", but let's not pretend it was at all comparable to the productivity and consistency that we saw in 2016 where our 3rd RB was more effective than our 2020 backup. Totally different story. Frankly, I find it hard to categorize our 2020 run game as anything but barely average. 

I've always liked Richard.  Guy makes plays.  I hope we keep him and use him more.

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I've always liked Richard.  Guy makes plays.  I hope we keep him and use him more.

He's aight. Not a fan of his salary number as a 3rd RB option though. 

I agree with some that Drake likely makes him a redundancy. His contract is up in 2022, so unless he really shows out or Jacobs or Drake suffer a major injury, I can't see us re-signing him. He shouldn't take much less (if any) as an offer, but if we brought him back at his current or increased salary, I'd be a bit irked. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 8:57 AM, ronjon1990 said:

He's aight. Not a fan of his salary number as a 3rd RB option though. 

I agree with some that Drake likely makes him a redundancy. His contract is up in 2022, so unless he really shows out or Jacobs or Drake suffer a major injury, I can't see us re-signing him. He shouldn't take much less (if any) as an offer, but if we brought him back at his current or increased salary, I'd be a bit irked. 

Yeah I'd prefer to cut Richard and bring in a bigger back to be RB3. Bell or Gurley would be good additions.