2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't neccasirly have a problem with it either.

But where I believe I differ with you (I'd assume) is that trying to make Wilson our franchise QB for me is vastly vastly more important than making the defense better. If we have the best defense in the world and have nothing at QB it doesn't matter. We have a good QB and you can even win in this league with a below average defense. Now that's not me saying don't draft defense bc we do need to. But putting pieces to the puzzle to make Wilson succeed, outweighs that. Whether that be more OL help, a WR and TE. drafted high so be it. We just need him to be in position to succeed.

We draft Hamilton and Stingley Round 1... that doesn't help Wilson out much at all.

This is a QB driven league and we need to make sure we do everything we can to try and make Wilson that guy for us. 

Even I don't like the Hamilton & Stingley combination. 

I agree, Wilson is important, but the talent in the positions we need and free agency is stacked with options that can help. I doubt there is a TE we should pick in the first. For Center, I like guys like Jarrett Patterson, Liam Shanahan, Olusegun Oluwatimi, Baer Hunter, Linstrom, and possibly others. I can go down the list for the other offensive needs as well. Because of the talent depth in this class at those positions, I don't feel like we have to draft someone in the first round to help Wilson. 

Wilson is currently being asked to score more points than the #1 offense in the league every game for us to have a chance to win because of our defense. I'm going into this draft open minded and I just want great players at the end of the day. If we go Center & WR in the first, I'm cool. But the best players in the draft are defensive and if we come away with 2 out of Thibo, Lloyd, Gardner, or Hamilton, I'll be hyped. 

4 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Wow.  End of NFL period will be ridiculously condensed

NFLPA Bowl on Jan 29

East-West Shrine Bowl on Feb 3

Underclassmen declaration deadline on Feb 4.

Senior Bowl on Feb 5.

Super Bowl on Feb 13.

Then free agency hits in March. 

54 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Defense is stronger in that 2022 draft class and Jets happen to own two top 10 picks.  Unless Becton situation gets clearer, we may have to deal with 2 defensive players.

Wilson is on his own to develop into NFL qb.  Jets continue adding best talents they see fit.  If Wilson can't and Jets are ready to roll then Jets will make a move on veteran to replace Wilson for 2023 as JD and Saleh would be on hot seat.

I reckon that this remind us of the past but this time is the first time in long time GM runs the show solely for real.

The depth is great on defense though. So that's where there's for sure another side to this. There's a pretty decent drop off from the 1st round offensive talent in this draft to the rest of the draft. Where on defense there's still A LOT of very talented LBs, CBs, Ss, Edge's that can be had in those mid rounds.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The depth is great on defense though. So that's where there's for sure another side to this. There's a pretty decent drop off from the 1st round offensive talent in this draft to the rest of the draft. Where on defense there's still A LOT of very talented LBs, CBs, Ss, Edge's that can be had in those mid rounds.

I'll save the secondary for later.  We need top tier talent at Edge otherwise no point.  LB we can definitely get away with Round 2 or 3.

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes but this may prevent Jets from drafting good TE, WR, or even OL.

14 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Yes but this may prevent Jets from drafting good TE, WR, or even OL.

It’s not a loaded TE draft. Best bet is to sign a high upside guy like Howard, Njokiu etc and hope to catch lightning there and draft a guy in the mid rounds.

WR I’m good with waiting on bc we’re drafting too high in Round 1 to take one. Rounds 2-3 there’s talent though. But really IMO we should only need 1 legit WR. So if we get that in FA… then I don’t think WR is a need for us too much.

OL we have flexibility. And for that reason I don’t expect us to really grab much in FA there. Meaning Connor and Fant have very cuttabke contracts if we want to cut them. But we won’t cut them unless we have a better replacement. So I don’t see us spending big there in FA. But in the draft I for sure see us drafting a guy with 1 of our 1 3 round picks. If I had to bet today… I say we take Lindy with our SEA pick. Which allows us to slide Connor to RG if we want keep in mind.

If we came out of Round 1 with Stingley and Lindy I’d be happy.

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'll save the secondary for later.  We need top tier talent at Edge otherwise no point.  LB we can definitely get away with Round 2 or 3.

I do think we might be underestimating the Purdue DE as well. If Kayvon and Hutch are gone like we might expect. He’s not off the table for us.

The D needs WAY more work than the O. I think if you replace Wilson with a vet like Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitz, or Jamison Winston you will have an average O. 

The Jets must walk away with A Hutch or KT for an edge and either Gardner or Stingley for the CB. This would improve the team real fast. I have no problems going after a QB like Watson or trying to talk Andrew Luck into coming back. The sad part out of all of this is Wilson will still be the starter and Saleh will still be the HC next year and the Jets will start of 0-6 and Saleh will still have that stupid look on his face lying to us all saying Wilson is the QB and it takes time. Trust the process. 

7 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

The D needs WAY more work than the O. I think if you replace Wilson with a vet like Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitz, or Jamison Winston you will have an average O. 

The Jets must walk away with A Hutch or KT for an edge and either Gardner or Stingley for the CB. This would improve the team real fast. I have no problems going after a QB like Watson or trying to talk Andrew Luck into coming back. The sad part out of all of this is Wilson will still be the starter and Saleh will still be the HC next year and the Jets will start of 0-6 and Saleh will still have that stupid look on his face lying to us all saying Wilson is the QB and it takes time. Trust the process. 

Not arguing the D doesn’t need work. But making sure Wilson is a franchise QB and getting pieces around him to try and ensure that is SOOOOO important. Never mind if the offense is worth a darn… the D is off the field more making the D better just by not being on the field as much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I do think we might be underestimating the Purdue DE as well. If Kayvon and Hutch are gone like we might expect. He’s not off the table for us.

Sure, but there are just some guys when you say their name it’s not going to be a good football player. Cannot picture anyone saying AND KARLAFTIS WITH THE STRIP SACK.  Karlaftis sounds like a PS name. 

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s not a loaded TE draft. Best bet is to sign a high upside guy like Howard, Njokiu etc and hope to catch lightning there and draft a guy in the mid rounds.

WR I’m good with waiting on bc we’re drafting too high in Round 1 to take one. Rounds 2-3 there’s talent though. But really IMO we should only need 1 legit WR. So if we get that in FA… then I don’t think WR is a need for us too much.

OL we have flexibility. And for that reason I don’t expect us to really grab much in FA there. Meaning Connor and Fant have very cuttabke contracts if we want to cut them. But we won’t cut them unless we have a better replacement. So I don’t see us spending big there in FA. But in the draft I for sure see us drafting a guy with 1 of our 1 3 round picks. If I had to bet today… I say we take Lindy with our SEA pick. Which allows us to slide Connor to RG if we want keep in mind.

If we came out of Round 1 with Stingley and Lindy I’d be happy.

Cant argue with it, talent wise. However, Linderbaum shouldn't be taken in top 15.