2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

8 minutes ago, xrade said:

And they both couldn’t suck more. IIRC, Chi and Jax were both belittled for those moves. I think GM’s learned from that. Still, I can’t see a team giving all that draft capital to move up for a Pickett. Det. has an underwhelming Goff but even they are not foolish enough to reach for a QB this year. Not to mention a couple that may return to school once they get their draft grade.

2023 may look a little better with Young and maybe Stroud eligible. I like Young. Hell, we may be in on him depending on how Zach plays next year.

I think you have to Put yourself in each of those teams shoes. We as a Jets fan base should know this better than anyone. That sometimes you just need a new QB for the fan base to not call for the whole organizations head. Do you really think DET loves Goff? Do you really think HOU thinks Mills is the QBOTF? Pit thinks Ben has another year in him? NYG think Jones is the answer? Etc. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Exactly that’s my point. So 1 class in all these years. So the odds are very slim. And this class is A LOT more talented than that class was. As a whole and as far as QBs go. Never fails that a couple QBs wow in pre draft stuff. Did any of us think Bortles or Trubisky would go so high? No, but they did. And that’s just a couple examples. There’s several more. If I had to take a bet right now, I’d say a QB goes top 5 even though there seems to be no guy worth it. 

This time last year pretty sure Wilson and Lance were mid 1st round picks right?

35 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

This time last year pretty sure Wilson and Lance were mid 1st round picks right?

No Wilson was high but Lance wasn’t as high bc he missed the whole season besides 1 game. But in general you’re correct. There’s no clear too 5 QB. But I’d bet a ton of money a QB goes too 5 still after all the pre draft stuff.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We as a Jets fan base should know this better than anyone. That sometimes you just need a new QB for the fan base

True but I still think Mac passed on QB in 2017 because of the strength of the 2018 class.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Do you really think DET loves Goff? Do you really think HOU thinks Mills is the QBOTF? Pit thinks Ben has another year in him? NYG think Jones is the answer? Etc. 

No Det does not love Goff but I just don’t see them taking a QB this year at 3. Mills will be given a shot next year. Pitt picks later so, yeah, they could draft a QB. Jones will be given another year.  

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

But I’d bet a ton of money a QB goes too 5 still after all the pre draft stuff

I’ll take that friendly wager. I kind of hope I lose. Better odds for the Jets getting Thibs or Hutch. This is also the Jets we’re talking about. When was the last time they were gifted anything?

1 hour ago, xrade said:

True but I still think Mac passed on QB in 2017 because of the strength of the 2018 class.

No Det does not love Goff but I just don’t see them taking a QB this year at 3. Mills will be given a shot next year. Pitt picks later so, yeah, they could draft a QB. Jones will be given another year.  

I’ll take that friendly wager. I kind of hope I lose. Better odds for the Jets getting Thibs or Hutch. This is also the Jets we’re talking about. When was the last time they were gifted anything?

We’ve been gifted guys before. We just chose the wrong guy. We were gifted Josh Allen and chose Q. We were gifted Watson and Mahomes and chose Adams 

6 hours ago, xrade said:

I think Det. is a little smarter than that. Millen is no longer GM. Why draft a QB at 3 when you can get one in round 2 that has similar potential?  It’s just a bad year for QB’s and I can’t see a team trading with us or jumping us to get a QB. 

Every year there isn't an over hyped star QB is labeled a bad year until they perform. I remember when people on here didn't want Mahomes because he was too raw. If they like Pickett or Carrol with the #2 pick, it's very unlikely for them to pass on the top QB to go for a 2nd round QB in a "bad" class that may not ever compete with Goff. Campbell called out Goff early in the season and things haven't gotten better. 

Of course if all depends on if they like the top QB or not and if there is a QB they can trade for. Maybe they trade for Mike White and actually have a competition. But if they go into the draft with just Goff, they're drafting someone. lol

38 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Every year there isn't an over hyped star QB is labeled a bad year until they perform. I remember when people on here didn't want Mahomes because he was too raw. If they like Pickett or Carrol with the #2 pick, it's very unlikely for them to pass on the top QB to go for a 2nd round QB in a "bad" class that may not ever compete with Goff. Campbell called out Goff early in the season and things haven't gotten better. 

Of course if all depends on if they like the top QB or not and if there is a QB they can trade for. Maybe they trade for Mike White and actually have a competition. But if they go into the draft with just Goff, they're drafting someone. lol

1/2 of a QBs battle is where they get drafted, how they’re groomed and the coaching they’re getting. Other 1/2 is the actual QBs skill set.

We draft Mahomes and give him the weapons we gave Darnold… he’s not Mahomes. Josh Allen was atrocious as a rookie. But he had good coaching and they improved weapons for him. And he improved. Where teams mess up (US)… is the draft a QB and don’t give them much. Have poor coaching and all and expect them to make wine out of water. At least we’ve been investing quality picks on offense to help whoever is at QB. That’s something we haven’t done in like 15 years. It doesn’t happen overnight… but this is why a lot of QBs fail. I loved Mac Jones and am not surprised at all at his success. But his success isn’t a stat success. It’s that he’s winning. And that’s bc he’s being coach ones properly and not being asked to do too much. Over time they can lean on him more. And he’s then being groomed properly. 

20 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

1/2 of a QBs battle is where they get drafted, how they’re groomed and the coaching they’re getting. Other 1/2 is the actual QBs skill set.

We draft Mahomes and give him the weapons we gave Darnold… he’s not Mahomes. Josh Allen was atrocious as a rookie. But he had good coaching and they improved weapons for him. And he improved. Where teams mess up (US)… is the draft a QB and don’t give them much. Have poor coaching and all and expect them to make wine out of water. At least we’ve been investing quality picks on offense to help whoever is at QB. That’s something we haven’t done in like 15 years. It doesn’t happen overnight… but this is why a lot of QBs fail. I loved Mac Jones and am not surprised at all at his success. But his success isn’t a stat success. It’s that he’s winning. And that’s bc he’s being coach ones properly and not being asked to do too much. Over time they can lean on him more. And he’s then being groomed properly. 

We really don't know what any QB would have done with us. Mahomes sat for 1 season and popped out with 50Tds, 5k yds, and was a game away from the SB. The year after, came out and won it. That's way more than coaching and a couple of targets. He admitted on the shop he didn't learn how to really read defenses until after the SB. None of his top targets were drafted in the first or huge free agent pick ups. 

My point is, as fans, we have no idea what QB would work and what these teams are thinking. No one called Mitch Tribusky being drafted as high as he was (and above Mahomes & Watson) that year. So as for this draft, we can say "this isn't a good draft" and be wrong again. 

As for the Jets lack of success with QBs, you're right along with picking the wrong guys and forcing young QBs out there without developing & earning their spot. I remembering mentioning top targets we should trade for and some people on here said we shouldn't because we're not contenders. The most annoying thing in the world to me. Cardinals drafted their QB and traded for Hopkins, Bills grabbed Allen and traded for Diggs, Prescott/Cooper, and others made moves. 

From who we drafted, coaching, and the lack of moves have killed us. Since 09, all our winning seasons have come with building a good defense and a rushing attack. If we can rebuild that while find a WR defenses have to take seriously, we'll be fine. We watched it work with the Titans and Colts after they picked up 2 struggling QBs. It will work for Wilson until he can take over.