2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

I chuckled for a while.

I distinctly remembered the talk about Jake Long (Wolverine OT) being not "good" tackle because of Vernon Gholston (Buckeye Edge) alone.  Long had not given up sacks to anyone but Gholston.  Long went #1 and Gholston was out of top 5.  Boom.  Long had NFL career and Gholston was one of first class busts in NFL history.

Now,  Nicholas Petit-Frere (Buckeye OT)'s name was just included in first round discussion few weeks ago. He has been solid blocking against anyone but Aidan Hutchinson (Wolverine Edge).  Hutchinson is in top 2 talk constantly as hell while NPF is set to fight for being number 2 OT off the board for upcoming draft as Jets may have one top 5 pick and another one barely outside of top 5.

Edited by JetsandI

16 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I chuckled for a while.

I distinctly remembered the talk about Jake Long (Wolverine OT) being not "good" tackle because of Vernon Gholston (Buckeye Edge) alone.  Long had not given up sacks to anyone but Gholston.  Long went #1 and Gholston was out of top 5.  Boom.  Long had NFL career and Gholston was one of first class busts in NFL history.

Now,  Nicholas Petit-Frere (Buckeye OT)'s name was just included in first round discussion few weeks ago. He has been solid blocking against anyone but Aidan Hutchinson (Wolverine Edge).  Hutchinson is in top 2 talk constantly as hell while NPF is set to fight for being number 2 OT off the board for upcoming draft as Jets may have one top 5 pick and another one barely outside of top 5.

NPF did get worked in that game against Michigan. But from what I’ve seen is his name in the same area as it was before that game. A fringe late 1st to early 2nd type guy. Fact is…. He’s not as good as Ikem and Neal. He’s not in that category. He’s still a starting OT. But not elite

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Lloyd was awful today against actual talent. So let’s stop the talk of him top 10

That's a huge stretch.  They spent all game avoiding him and when their secondary was getting lit up, Lloyd had to drop back in coverage. If you want an example of how he is being used, look back at Micah Parsons.  Dude had 5 sacks against no one but you're seeing what he can do when he's asked to blitz. Lloyd has a similar role but with 8 sacks. 

I can understand not wanting him in the top-10, but acting like OSU was killing him is a bit much. 

Edited by rickyt31

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

That's a huge stretch.  They spent all game avoiding him and when their secondary was getting lit up, Lloyd had to drop back in coverage. If you want an example of how he is being used, look back at Micah Parsons.  Dude had 5 sacks against no one but you're seeing what he can do when he's asked to blitz. Lloyd has a similar role but with 8 sacks. 

I can understand not wanting him in the top-10, but acting like OSU was killing him is a bit much. 

Can’t disagree more. You can take a pass rusher out of a game by double teaming them. You can take a shutdown CB out of the game by not throwing their way. But It’s virtually impossible to take a LB out of the game. They’re at the second level and job is to recognize plays and attack. And it’s nearly impossible to double team a guy on the 2nd level. Fact is… he wasn’t making plays. Still a good talent. I just think the top 10 talk of him needs to chill. LB for starters shouldn’t be a top 10 pick. And his bad game against good competition yesterday kinda exposed him a tad. Still a 1st rounder though.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Can’t disagree more. You can take a pass rusher out of a game by double teaming them. You can take a shutdown CB out of the game by not throwing their way. But It’s virtually impossible to take a LB out of the game. They’re at the second level and job is to recognize plays and attack. And it’s nearly impossible to double team a guy on the 2nd level. Fact is… he wasn’t making plays. Still a good talent. I just think the top 10 talk of him needs to chill. LB for starters shouldn’t be a top 10 pick. And his bad game against good competition yesterday kinda exposed him a tad. Still a 1st rounder though.

You can take a LB out of the game when all you have to do is throw over him to JSN. The only one in the front 7 who was able to make tackles was Sewell that's because they went at him avoiding Lloyd. The rest of the tackle leaders were the Dbs who got torched all game. Just go back and look at how many times Stroud pointed Lloyd out before the snap. 

You really can't judge it all off of competition unless they are targeted. Khalil Mack, Bobby Wagner, and others literally played no one and looked great in the NFL. Lloyd is coming out of the Pac12 and has had great games against teams like Oregon, Ranked Arizona State, and others. Oregon beat Ohio State. So we can't make it seem like Lloyd was out there playing against the Mountain West type of competition.

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

His draft stock won't be affected.

It may slightly, but not huge. Just feel bad because that's the type of game competitors want to play in and finish his college career with. Stock wise, it would have been boosted if he had a big game. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

NPF did get worked in that game against Michigan. But from what I’ve seen is his name in the same area as it was before that game. A fringe late 1st to early 2nd type guy. Fact is…. He’s not as good as Ikem and Neal. He’s not in that category. He’s still a starting OT. But not elite

I don't consider Ikem as LT yet.  I am thinking more about Charles Cross.  Cross's huge improvement in 2021 alone earns him a potential top 5 or 10 money.  Is it for real or not?   who knows.  Someone will surprise us.

2 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

It may slightly, but not huge. Just feel bad because that's the type of game competitors want to play in and finish his college career with. Stock wise, it would have been boosted if he had a big game. 

Maybe.  NFL teams should draft him to show those prospects, that opt out bowl games, up. lol.

Edited by JetsandI

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Maybe.  NFL teams should draft him to show those prospects, that opt out bowl games, up. lol.

lmao I feel like Matt Campbell would do something like that and we'll see the others become stars just because of it. 

Just now, jetsfan4life51 said:

Are we better off going with someone like Patterson who may be able to play C or RG?

I like Patterson. Lindstrom is a stud too. If we don’t draft Lindy… there’s those 2 that can be immediate starters as well. McGovern can move to RG if we draft a C.

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I like Patterson. Lindstrom is a stud too. If we don’t draft Lindy… there’s those 2 that can be immediate starters as well. McGovern can move to RG if we draft a C.

If Seahawks win another one or two then definitely go Linderbaum.  If we are picking top 10 I can't see them taking him though.  I think a #1 WR is going to be a sneaky pick.