2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

Let's set up a huge post about each position, what characteristics are needed, what rounds/draft strategy work best, rank the players and what rounds they are projected.

I'll start but it will be a little sloppy.

EDGE- I think this position needs to be a 1st round pick, the higher the better.  Between the history of this team, how non-existent our pass rush is at times and Saleh having a strong DL in SF.  We need an elite prospect on the edge.  Hutchinson is the best fit opposite Lawson.  Kayvon and Ojabo provide massive athletic upside and speed off the edge incase Lawson is hurt or has to change his style of play.  I don't see the need to grab a late round flier because we already have Huff and JFM can play outside too.

OL- The OL has been stronger as the year has gone on.  When it comes to Tackle, 1st round is a luxury, but also smart.  OG again 1st round is a luxury.  OC we can really help out Zach and grab an anchor. It would be foolish to grab a guy to groom on Day 3.  At minimum we need a 2nd round pick on Center IMO.  But grabbing OG and OT to groom later is not a bad idea.

WR- There are only two options for me.  A top 15 pick #1 star WR or a Day 3 burner.  I'm tired of taking 2nd round WRs, even though Moore looks legit.  But we either need a reliable option on the outside or an absolute burner for Zach to stretch the field.

TE- You can go back and forth on this one.  Because we have extra picks you can convince me to take a TE and hope he has an impact early.  But I would rather grab one in FA who we know can play right now, then grab a mid round guy to groom with Yeboah.  If there was a Kyle Pitts in this class then yes I'd be banging the table.

RB- I love MC but I want a big, bruising back for short yardage and goal line.  Also good insurance for MC and if we decide we want to beef up the OL and run for 150 yards a game until Zach takes over games.

DT- another pick like Jonathan Marshall is great.  Keep a constant rotation at DT, Rankins has one year left, is a massive Q extension smart?  Let's focus on EDGE with this defense.

LB- I think we all agree the 2nd round is where we will land the next leader of our defense.  The depth is so good in this class where we will for sure get a 1st round talent there.  I don't want to risk waiting until R3 but there will be a guy there as well.  I think between a top draft pick and Mosley, that will push the play of Sherwood and Nas.  I like the idea of those two battling it out and the loser flirts with getting cut.

S- I think we need to take last year's CB approach.  If there is a great player available on Day 2 then jump on it.  But also grab another one late and just let two rookies, Ashtyn, Pinnock and a starting caliber vet in FA battle it out.  Will that happen after we now have a bunch of young guys getting a ton of snaps? I'm not sure.

CB- Honestly, I don't touch this position aside from vet depth.  These guys battle and have bright futures.

• Like 1

Jets will have a variety of RBs to choose between 2nd-4th round but if they didn't draft one because of a various reason, I have eyed for either 3 big RB/FB/h-back type prospect for late round or UDFA.

A) H-Back Zander Horvath, Purdue.

He just recovered from broken fibula and is said to participate both Hula and Shrine Bowls. He runs sloppy but oh boy! how hard to get him down on first contact?  Very impressive on body movement as ballcarrier. Solid hands.  Unfortunately, he isn't quick or fast and I don't know if his blocking skill is there but he should upgrade a spot where Trevon Wescon supposed to master at.

B) RB Abram Smith, Baylor.

He will participate in the Reese's showcase. He has experience with both LB and RB. He is confirmed to be a natural ZBS runner despite of running tall.  He can plant and go in no time and thats it. He has zero problem running into players like bowling ball in 2nd level.  I don't remember seeing him going out to catch some football.  Will recheck that later.

C) RB/FB Clint Ratkovich, Northern Illinois.

Like Horvath, he accepts both Hula and Shrine Bowl invitees.  He doesn't run particularly fast, unfortunately but he can run well in open space.  Excellent at catching football.  Inconsistent at blocking skill as he tends to go forward too much so defender can change the direction with ease. 

If we must pick one of them I would go with Smith because of better speed. I will continue looking for other prospects like Hawaii's RB Calvin Turner Jr who excels at receiving part.

Edited by JetsandI

Is this draft pretty weak?

Doesn't seem like a lot of studs to take high. 

Kyle Hamilton is a stud, but do you take a safety that high?  There seems to be some pretty good WRs that we could take. 

We seem to be in position to miss the top EDGE guys. I don't want George Karlaftis, 4.5 sacks is not top 5 worthy. 

Derek Stingley is a top end talent, but injury concerns is worrisome. 

I would really like to land Tyler Linderbaum somehow, hes going to be a stud center for a long time.  I would consider going WR top 10, get Wilson another weapon. 

Next 4 RBs are

1) Raheem Blackshear, Virginia Tech.

He is very similar to Michael Carter.  Probably faster but lesser strength at the moment.  I think I have to pass on him because I am fine with Austin Walter.  He may be gone undrafted so picking him up for PS spot isn't a bad idea.

2) Calvin Turner Jr, Hawaii.

He is used as a receiver heavily. Not much offer on the ground. Speed looks good (YAC). I don't feel his strength presentable.  Possibly undraftable.

3) James Cook, Georgia.

Dalvin's younger brother is strength short to be another Deebo Samuel. He has quickness, speed and hands to show off at next level. Blocking is there but it still needs more work. Adding some weight to his frame is recommended.  Maybe he is ready to rock in year 2 so I may want to double dip on RB with legit RB.

4) Rachaad White, Arizona State.

He has solid size, vision, hands and 2nd gear. He is lousy at burst and first step quickness. Thus his patience is visibly shown. I am not sure he may fit what Jets are looking to upgrade at RB but he is an ideal for ZBS all the way.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

2 solid center prospects are already staying in NCAA.   C depth gets lighter now.  If Jets want C they get one earlier or nothing.  I have eyed Ricky Stromberg for next draft if no Center after this April

There is a center from App state name Baer Hunter. That's my scouting report. Draft him in the 1st. 

On a serious note about Baer Hunter, I really do like him. I don't know what round he's projected as, but he's one of the toughest centers I've seen in a while and athletic. He should be in consideration. Especially if we don't cut McGovern early. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

On a serious note about Baer Hunter, I really do like him. I don't know what round he's projected as, but he's one of the toughest centers I've seen in a while and athletic. He should be in consideration. Especially if we don't cut McGovern early. 

Good find. 

He is 6 1 and will attend Tropical Bowl. Both suggest that he may be either late round or UDFA.   However, he is definitely a gem candidate.

Just now, JetsandI said:

Good find. 

He is 6 1 and will attend Tropical Bowl. Both suggest that he may be either late round or UDFA.   However, he is definitely a gem candidate.

I agree. If we were to draft him and keep McGovern until Hunter is ready, I'm good with that. I was a little concerned about his height, but Rodney Hudson is like 6'2 and is good. So 6'1 shouldn't be a kill unless his arms are really short. 

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

I agree. If we were to draft him and keep McGovern until Hunter is ready, I'm good with that. I was a little concerned about his height, but Rodney Hudson is like 6'2 and is good. So 6'1 shouldn't be a kill unless his arms are really short. 

Yeah..  Saleh said McGovern and Fant will be ready for OTA so that may sound like they stick around.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Yeah..  Saleh said McGovern and Fant will be ready for OTA so that may sound like they stick around.

Lol to be fair, he can't act like they'll be gone before then. So he has to say things like that. 

We're in a great position to replace the center and RG one way or another this off-season. 

Side note... I just watched Karlaftis. Dude is legit. I don't know if he's top-10 pick worthy,  but his burst is wild. 

• rickyt31 changed the title to 2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk