2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

I'm not too worried yet. If Wilson is trash, there are vets out there that can still give us a chance to go far. Also, with Rodgers returning and the depth of next year's draft class, we'll be in a good position next year. 

If we miss the playoffs, Wilson and the coaching staff will be out. 

43 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm not too worried yet. If Wilson is trash, there are vets out there that can still give us a chance to go far. Also, with Rodgers returning and the depth of next year's draft class, we'll be in a good position next year. 

If Rodgers opts for retirement then the entire coaching staff may be shown the door.

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

If Rodgers opts for retirement then the entire coaching staff may be shown the door.

I don't see that happening unless Wilson looks good, but Wilson looking good will save the staff. 

I honestly don't know who we should even consider if we fire the coaching staff this year. I can only think of 2 people I would be interested so far. 

44 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I don't see that happening unless Wilson looks good, but Wilson looking good will save the staff. 

I honestly don't know who we should even consider if we fire the coaching staff this year. I can only think of 2 people I would be interested so far. 

I don't think there's really anyone hot out there.  All the good teams have consistent coaching.  Shannahan had two rough seasons to start in SF and now he's considered one of the best coaches in the league.  I think Saleh can take a step forward this season.  Heck even Zach Taylor still doesn't have a winning record with the Bengals and he's safe.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 5:27 PM, rickyt31 said:

Eric Bieniemy.   He has done well with inexperienced qb in Sam Howell and his offense looked a lot better yesterday.   Imagine it with proven qb like Rodgers.    As HC, he should demand to fix OL asap since Rodgers won't run as good as young ones.  

Firing coaching staff and Rodgers hanging up is a grave nightmare because salary cap will be tighter before June 1st.  What new head coach will consider the job?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Eric Bieniemy.   He has done well with inexperienced qb in Sam Howell and his offense looked a lot better yesterday.   Imagine it with proven qb like Rodgers.    As HC, he should demand to fix OL asap since Rodgers won't run as good as young ones.  

Firing coaching staff and Rodgers hanging up is a grave nightmare because salary cap will be tighter before June 1st.  What new head coach will consider the job?

AR bought into this staff. This staff goes, AR might very well go too.

On 9/16/2023 at 1:39 PM, rickyt31 said:

Doubtful. 

Wilson will be out probably. But the coaching staff probably gets a free pass this year because of Rodgers going down. They will probably draft a QB, have Rodgers start the next year or 2 while that QB sits and learns. 

Rodgers came here because he liked what the Jets were building and is comfortable with the coaches, he won't play in 2024 with just anybody. 

Saleh and Douglas bad records need context, they took over a dumpster fire team that should have went 0-16. They took on a full rebuild, by year 3 the team was seen as contenders but lost their starting QB in 4 plays. They will get a pass. very few teams recover when their starting QB goes down. Its a rare thing in the NFL for the QB to go on IR because of how they are protected and Rodgers had a freak injury.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Doubtful. 

Wilson will be out probably. But the coaching staff probably gets a free pass this year because of Rodgers going down. They will probably draft a QB, have Rodgers start the next year or 2 while that QB sits and learns. 

Rodgers came here because he liked what the Jets were building and is comfortable with the coaches, he won't play in 2024 with just anybody. 

Saleh and Douglas bad records need context, they took over a dumpster fire team that should have went 0-16. They took on a full rebuild, by year 3 the team was seen as contenders but lost their starting QB in 4 plays. They will get a pass. very few teams recover when their starting QB goes down. Its a rare thing in the NFL for the QB to go on IR because of how they are protected and Rodgers had a freak injury.

Jets still need a bunch of wins to justify that Jets are still only one qb away.  Otherwise, pfffttt

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Jets still need a bunch of wins to justify that Jets are still only one qb away.  Otherwise, pfffttt

Well, they just lost to one of the better teams in the league.  We are starting off the season with a hard schedule. If we had Rodgers it would be easier because the offense would be scoring TDs. With Wilson they need everyone to step up. Yesterday everyone played bad, the team didn't show up. 

I am sure the Jets will play with more effort and better than what they showed yesterday.  No one else has a Michah Parson either. 

• Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 11:54 AM, NYJets4716 said:

Well, they just lost to one of the better teams in the league.  We are starting off the season with a hard schedule. If we had Rodgers it would be easier because the offense would be scoring TDs. With Wilson they need everyone to step up. Yesterday everyone played bad, the team didn't show up. 

I am sure the Jets will play with more effort and better than what they showed yesterday.  No one else has a Michah Parson either. 

Considering the OL situation, almost every rusher in NFL is Parson. heh?

Hard to believe that Tomlinson was top pass protector against Cowboys with slightly under 75 mark according to PFF.  Vera Tucker is next with pathetic 53 mark.   If Tomlinson is consistent at over 70 plus, he could stay with Jets next year.

Edited by JetsandI

Damn... I must be missing the memo that Becton's 5th year option was declined.   I still am not sure about Carter Warren and Max Mitchell as next Tackles in line for 2024. 

Top 5 potential:

Olu Fashanu

Joe Alt

Graham Barton ( I heard draft evaluators have been paid an attention on him real heavily so far)

On 9/18/2023 at 9:50 AM, JetsandI said:

Yeah, Bieniemy seems like an obvious choice. Would Rodgers be OK with that? Would Bieniemy be hired by a new GM? Would Bieniemy be OK with having Hackett as his OC? Would Rodgers be OK without having Hackett around? 

As far as the draft goes, we can't start talking about left tackles before we secure the QB position, long term. Even in a best-case scenario where Aaron Rodgers comes back in 2024 and fulfills his contract through 2025, we would still need a new starting quarterback by 2026 at the latest. It is time to start looking for the heir apparent, because clearly that player is not currently on the roster. Also, we do not want to throw someone to the wolves before he is ready to handle all that comes with being a starter in the NFL. Draft a guy in 2024, let him marinate on the practice squad for two years and learn under Rodgers and hopefully a guy like Eric Bieniemy, and then see what we have in him.

Caleb Williams is not going to be our guy, mainly because I doubt we will be worse than teams like Houston, Carolina, Indy, Arizona and a few others. 

That said, where are guys like Sanders (Colorado), Van Dyke (Miami) and Shrader (Syracuse) projected to go in the draft? It is early days in the season, but those are the standouts for me right now.