Starfield [Xbox|Bethesda]

Kiltman

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:
2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

So, when I play games, I usually pick the "better graphics" over "higher framerate" option when given. With FFXVI, I switched that to see if I could tell any difference on anything. Not sure I truly can. Does it matter to the average Joe? I feel like the 30 FPS won't bother me. 

Its really a complicated question. The simple answer is human eyes have a hard time distinguishing anything above 30 FPS which is why most movies nowadays still cap at 24 FPS even though film is alot easier to come by now then when that was established 100 years ago. 

However, the biggest difference between movies and games is motion blur. In most games motion blur is turned on by default which means they look pretty good at 30 FPS but in a lot of modern games motion blur is generally turned off either in the settings or as a design decision. Below 30 FPS turning off motion blur will turn animations odd and clunky. Not really a huge difference but you can key in on it while 60 FPS+ tends to give a much clearer picture. Its not really a big deal but I would expect to see a difference in movement for a fast paced game like FF16. I generally play my games in "Performance Mode" FYI. 

This isn't a FPS so having super high frames is not as relevant, but having it at 30 will definitely make the shooting and advanced movement (if there is any) feel more clunky. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

This isn't a FPS so having super high frames is not as relevant, but having it at 30 will definitely make the shooting and advanced movement (if there is any) feel more clunky. 

I'm less concerned about actually playing on 30 FPS compared to the reason its a necessity. 

32 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I'm less concerned about actually playing on 30 FPS compared to the reason its a necessity. 

I would rather downgraded graphics to 1080p to get better frames. To each their own, and that's kind of the issue. It has become more or less the norm to offer a performance mode and a graphics mode to give the players a choice. 

Edited by JBURGE

7 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

So, when I play games, I usually pick the "better graphics" over "higher framerate" option when given. With FFXVI, I switched that to see if I could tell any difference on anything. Not sure I truly can. Does it matter to the average Joe? I feel like the 30 FPS won't bother me. 

a lot of people actually can’t tell the difference, it’s really a much more complicated thing than the number. It does tend to become easy parlance to judge how well a team does with optimization and crafting their games. But with a giant games it’s not always the telltale sign of that that it is with the midsize ones.

There are a lot of other ways you can make things feel good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Bethesda's recent history mixed with a game that needs to be built from the ground up and to be successful will need to be pretty expansive. The most recent example of a studio doing something like this was the disaster that was Cyberpunk. I think their RPG games have been lacking more and more so your spot on regarding the watered down aspects of the last few entries. The gameplay trailer seemed pretty mediocre to average to me which is also a bad sign. 

Like you, I think the NPCs almost look like they were pulled out of last gens Fallout. "Deadeyed" is a good way to describe them. I also thought the lack of much movement when talking was odd. Makes it seem like your having a dialogue with a Disney World robot. 

The final nail is the 30 FPS issue. Although I don't mind playing on 30 FPS I think it points to a larger issue with optimization which is a HUGE red flag. A AAA title should not be capped at 30 FPS on modern hardware it just seems like either the game isn't ready, it wasn't optimized, or there willing to cut corners. Any way you slice it for me it seems bad. 

I haven't even gotten into the "Random Generated Worlds" which outside of rougelikes really haven't been very good also seems like a way to artificially inflate game content for headlines but who cares if its not fun to do. 

So you put all that together and I have a series of red flags long enough for me to not preorder at all and just wait for full release and some of my trusted reviewers to go over it. 

Think that’s totally fair, especially if the metric is wether or not to preorder. Which I’m always in the camp of not doing it, except like a day or two before if I’m going to get it day 1 and all that stuff checks out.

I definitely get the Cyberpunk comp, does feel like the biggest new game since that. Which if it’s as good as Cyberpunk got to be, awesome. If it’s as rough as Cyberpunk launched…we’ll know it. There was talk of this launching Fall 2021 internally, and they had that “set in stone” date last fall. So hopefully that was the delay that Cyberpunk needed, just before launching and not after.

17 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Think that’s totally fair, especially if the metric is wether or not to preorder. Which I’m always in the camp of not doing it, except like a day or two before if I’m going to get it day 1 and all that stuff checks out.

I definitely get the Cyberpunk comp, does feel like the biggest new game since that. Which if it’s as good as Cyberpunk got to be, awesome. If it’s as rough as Cyberpunk launched…we’ll know it. There was talk of this launching Fall 2021 internally, and they had that “set in stone” date last fall. So hopefully that was the delay that Cyberpunk needed, just before launching and not after.

Yeah, and don't get me wrong i'm not a "Hater". I really want this to succeed and be awesome. Some of my fondest memories are in Fallout3, Oblivion, and Skyrim. I just don't know if Bethesda has the ability or the want to do it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.newegg.com/AMD-Starfield-Game-Bundle-Promotion-Store/EventSaleStore/ID-10655

I was 100% gonna buy Starfield anyway, so this is basically a $70 discount on a new graphics card. AMD hasn't always been the best but I have been hearing good things about this generation and it's about 1/3 the price of the comparative nVidia. Hopefully I'm not just a dummy.

24 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

https://www.newegg.com/AMD-Starfield-Game-Bundle-Promotion-Store/EventSaleStore/ID-10655

I was 100% gonna buy Starfield anyway, so this is basically a $70 discount on a new graphics card. AMD hasn't always been the best but I have been hearing good things about this generation and it's about 1/3 the price of the comparative nVidia. Hopefully I'm not just a dummy.

They offer good bang for the buck, I'd honestly go with Nvidia just for driver support honestly and DLSS but depending on the card it won't matter lol.

8 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Aug 31st review embargo. I am beyond hyped for this, too bad I am going camping from the 3-6 so I didn't get the early access version. 

Nice of them to plan it for a long weekend.

Ive shut down all plans for at least two weeks.

Some of the info im hearing/ seeing isnt good.

Some of the 1000+ planets to explore seem to be a lie from what ive heard it includes moons and gas giants which you cant explore

A lot of copy pasted assets. Like one planet youll come across an abandoned mine and later on the game youll come across the exact same abandoned mine even the bodies were in the exact same place.

Even people coming across invisible walls while exploring worlds that limit exploration.

Start at 18:25 on this video.