• Denver in 5
    • Denver in 6
    • Denver in 7
    • Portland in 4
    • Portland in 5
    • Portland in 6
    • Portland in 7

12 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I get what you're saying, but those aren't needle moving wings. They need a top 10-15 wing in the NBA type.

In the end they just need to draft better though. Point blank. They've done nothing since they drafted Dame & CJ like the best they've done is Simons I guess and why the hell do they need another scoring guard that can't defend to save his life? That organization is all kinds of stupid.

They've barely drafted since McCollum was picked.

Collins would have been a good pick, but injuries killed him.

Gary Trent Jr. was a good pick.

I don't get the Simons gripe here. He was a late 1st rounder. You swing for the fences with those picks. He was a great talent. If he develops enough then he can be a trade asset. You can't look at 1sts, especially late 1sts, as just potential fits on the current team. He was, what, 18 when drafted?

Same with Nas Little. Swing for the fences. Good tools, size, and talent at the wing position. Hoped he would develop.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

They've barely drafted since McCollum was picked.

Collins would have been a good pick, but injuries killed him.

Gary Trent Jr. was a good pick.

I don't get the Simons gripe here. He was a late 1st rounder. You swing for the fences with those picks. He was a great talent. If he develops enough then he can be a trade asset. You can't look at 1sts, especially late 1sts, as just potential fits on the current team. He was, what, 18 when drafted?

Same with Nas Little. Swing for the fences. Good tools, size, and talent at the wing position. Hoped he would develop.

People were saying the Blazers were one of the winners of the off-season when they resigned Carmelo and acquired Covington, Kanter, and Jones. They also aggressive at the trade deadline when they acquired Norman Powell and had the #1 offense in the league after they added him.  

37 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

And, whose fault is that?

You mean another dude that is a terrible defender? 

Well their fault for making trades I guess, but you can't criticize them for poor drafting when that hasn't really been the case considering where they've drafted.

I guess so, but also one of the best 2nd round picks of the last few years that helped them get Norm Powell.

Edited by seminoles1

54 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Well their fault for making trades I guess, but you can't criticize them for poor drafting when that hasn't really been the case considering where they've drafted.

I guess so, but also one of the best 2nd round picks of the last few years that helped them get Norm Powell.

On the surface level the picks were fine. Simons came along offensively this year. He's always gonna be a huge negative defensively though. Trent is a streaky offensive player. He killed my Lakers off the bench early in the season. When he's on he's on.

Powell's analytics this year weren't good. Offense or defense really. Better defensively than Simons, Lillard, and Trent... sure, but that's a low bar. At least they were proactive with trading Trent for him though. Too bad they ignored him open in the corners a ton this series anyways. He's had plenty of open 3 attempts or ability to attack close outs, but too often has been ignored, but I digress.

They should have been proactive shopping CJ years ago. It's been blatantly obvious that pairing wasn't gonna work come playoff time for a while now. Maybe they can get something good for him this offseason, but who knows if they even trade him this offseason. I just don't trust that organization. They'll be coming up on a decade since they took Lillard and this is the best they've surrounded him with?

You are right about them not having a lot of picks, but it just feels like what they've done over the past years has mainly been to try and contend in the regular season rather than building for a legit contender that can compete come playoff time when defense becomes so much more important. I feel like they tried to do something about that recently with the pick of Little last year and trading Trent for Powell and bringing in Covington to the mix... although he completely whiffed as a defender last night.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Re: the Dame foul or no foul - I was more annoyed with MPJ for not getting in his grill. Why are you backing off when there is 5 seconds left, up 3? He isn't driving to the basket, Michael ..... Just get up there and get your 7ft 3 wingspan in his face.