The o-line elephant in the room

NudeTayne

Jabrill Dr. Peppers  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Should I bump the nickname thread?

• Yes. The time is now. We need this.
    • No. We will miss NudeTayne too much after his perma-ban.

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

And we are 0-7 as a result of us not prioritizing the passing game.

I would suggest that we prioritized the passing game by signing two o-lineman, one to a huge contract; our o-line should be better than last year.  Our receivers suck, but they did last year as well.  Pryor was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY--need more Ys to really emphasize but character limit--overrated in here.  I don't know how I am not getting more agreement here.  Our o-line looks like trash every game.  Our passers have no time.  We've given up near the most sacks in the league, and our passers are often avoiding sacks.  Sure, Kizer has taken a few from holding the ball too long, but he has also escaped a lot of free rushers within the first second or so of dropping back.  It looks like our line cannot pass block or run block effectively, so I don't know how we could be prioritizing either.  

4 hours ago, DawgX said:

I don't see the offensive line being a problem. Early in the year they were giving up a lot of sacks, but a lot of those were on Kizer. Would like to see them improve on run blocking, though. However, to say they're one of the worst units in the league is absurd.

I don't think it's absurd.  That's what the stats say as far as our rushing and passing.  When I watch them, they look awful.  I don't know why one would see the idea that our o-line sucks as being absurd.  Joe Thomas was great, but there are four other guys on the line.  Bitonio is ranked #9 guard per pff; Zeitler is ranked #15 guard per pff--take for what that's worth.  I'm not sure how that website works, though.  I would think with those two guys & Joe that our run game wouldn't be awful & that our passers wouldn't be getting sacked so much.  Hmm.

6 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I would suggest that we prioritized the passing game by signing two o-lineman, one to a huge contract; our o-line should be better than last year.  Our receivers suck, but they did last year as well.  Pryor was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY--need more Ys to really emphasize but character limit--overrated in here.  I don't know how I am not getting more agreement here.  Our o-line looks like trash every game.  Our passers have no time.  We've given up near the most sacks in the league, and our passers are often avoiding sacks.  Sure, Kizer has taken a few from holding the ball too long, but he has also escaped a lot of free rushers within the first second or so of dropping back.  It looks like our line cannot pass block or run block effectively, so I don't know how we could be prioritizing either.  

I think the line is only as good as the offense they block for, and our offense is the most ridiculously stupid in the league.  High school coaches be like "that play was dumb" on most snaps.

Especially the ones where we leave DeValve in to 1-on-1 block and try to run behind him.

29 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

I think the line is only as good as the offense they block for, and our offense is the most ridiculously stupid in the league.  High school coaches be like "that play was dumb" on most snaps.

Especially the ones where we leave DeValve in to 1-on-1 block and try to run behind him.

I'm not necessarily sure that this is it, but I can't disagree with any of your assessments; Hue's offense is stupid dumb & our skill dudes are below league average.

We are the only offense that runs a 3 offensive lineman formation.  For me, it's impossible to judge any player (not named Kenny Britt) as long as we've got some moron calling plays like that.

The team actually spends practice time working on **** like that.

I can't even with Hue.

Just now, ditchdigger said:

We are the only offense that runs a 3 offensive lineman formation.  For me, it's impossible to judge any player (not named Kenny Britt) as long as we've got some moron calling plays like that.

I can't even with Hue.

*waits patiently for the apologist brigade to explain how that is actually smart football and the players are the ones who are dumb for not executing it

Overall, though, the offensive line is underperforming drastically.  Tretter is not #good, Zeitler is decent but not great, Coleman is a stiff in pass pro, and Bitonio has regressed from his rookie season level of performance.

I don't think this is all coincidence.

Until we get a franchise QB, our offense is never going to score a whole lot of points or look pretty playing each week. No matter how good or bad they play, our OL has no skill players who can do a whole lot and no QB who can compensate for our obvious weaknesses at the skill positions. The OL could play a perfect game and it would still mean, we would not score a whole lot of points.

What is the mindset of our offensive players??? Gee, we stink, so why kill ourselves playing hard except to keep our jobs. Imagine going to work, feeling you probably will not win a game all year and we fans ask, why aren't they playing better??? Player can smell a sinking ship and all they are thinking of is, G-d, please get me on another team, so I can go back to having some fun and have a reason again, to love this game!!!!!!

21 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I'm not necessarily sure that this is it, but I can't disagree with any of your assessments; Hue's offense is stupid dumb & our skill dudes are below league average.

I do not know about Hue, he has very little to work with, but I do know that below average skill players does not describe our situation, we have absolutely no reliable skill players and are way below the league average in that area, which goes a long way in understanding why we are likely to finish 0-16 or 1-15.

5 minutes ago, Don Roshi said:

Maybe it's the signal callers not calling the right signals that's making our o-line look average.

Pat Shurmur got 9 wins in 2 years with Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace, Thad Lewis and Brandon Weeden.

Hell, he even got 4 wins that first year without an offensive coordinator.

That was bad coaching.  

What we are witnessing is historically abysmal coaching, and the players are responding accordingly.

1 minute ago, ditchdigger said:

Pat Shurmur got 9 wins in 2 years with Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace, Thad Lewis and Brandon Weeden.

Hell, he even got 4 wins that first year without an offensive coordinator.

That was bad coaching.  

What we are witnessing is historically abysmal coaching, and the players are responding accordingly.

P.S.  Look at this crapfest of a roster that got 4 times the wins that Hue got.

So please spare me the "He doesn't have the weapons" trope, if you feel so inclined.

1 hour ago, ditchdigger said:

I can't even with Hue.

Oh, you can and you will, old boy...for nine more games.

Archived