Coach K to retire after season, Scheyer named coach in waiting

NYRaider

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Seems like a lack luster hire if true.  Figured this time was coming soon.  Izzo and Boeheim will likely be out in the next couple of years too.  Some major changing of the guard in college hoops coming. 

Agreed. Scheyer has been an assistant since 2014 and the associate head coach since 2018 but he has zero head coaching experience. He'll be 34 when he takes over the program. I was hoping we'd pursue Brad Stevens or Mike Brey but it is what it is.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. Scheyer has been an assistant since 2014 and the associate head coach since 2018 but he has zero head coaching experience. He'll be 34 when he takes over the program. I was hoping we'd pursue Brad Stevens or Mike Brey but it is what it is.

This is th exact way that Tom Izzo was hired with similar experience (more years as an assistant but similar roles).  But these situations just don't seem to work out well.  Its hard to follow a legend, especially when you are someone with no experience.  

Stevens would have made sense but looks like he is stepping away from coaching now.  But still are a few other names out there I would have expected to have a shot at this job. 

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Jon Scheyer is my 2nd most hated Duke player ever, so this won't improve relations at all 😆

It's just such a weird hire too, I can't believe it. This entire thing seems rushed, not sure why we wouldn't wait and look for candidates throughout the season. Especially since Brad Stevens moved into a front office role with Boston.

• Like 1

We’ll see but I always thought Scheyer would be the best of K’s disciples to become a head coach. I’m excited to see a youth movement with him and Nolan Smith leading our coaching staff.

Wonder what Kyle Singler is up to these days.,,.

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

This is th exact way that Tom Izzo was hired with similar experience (more years as an assistant but similar roles).  But these situations just don't seem to work out well.  Its hard to follow a legend, especially when you are someone with no experience.  

Stevens would have made sense but looks like he is stepping away from coaching now.  But still are a few other names out there I would have expected to have a shot at this job. 

This "keep it in the family" approach likely won't work out well for Duke or North Carolina. Scheyer is said to be our best recruiter and guys seem to love him but it will be nearly impossible for him to continue the recruiting success with K retiring. Although we are moving into a new era of college basketball with the overtime league, G-League, and NBA likely to change the one-n-done rule. 

Duke paid Coach K more than double what Boston was paying Stevens, we could've handed any coach in the world a blank check.

Just now, NYRaider said:

It's just such a weird hire too, I can't believe it. This entire thing seems rushed, not sure why we wouldn't wait and look for candidates throughout the season. Especially since Brad Stevens moved into a front office role with Boston.

I mean, if you wanted to stick with ties too, I'd get Johnny Dawkins or Jeff Capel (not that they have incredible track records, but still, they've coached). Amaker would have made sense, and I am sorry that's out. Mike Brey? He's been good at ND. Bobby Hurley? Woj? There were so many options. I get why you and other Duke fans aren't going to be happy. 

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I mean, if you wanted to stick with ties too, I'd get Johnny Dawkins or Jeff Capel (not that they have incredible track records, but still, they've coached). Amaker would have made sense, and I am sorry that's out. Mike Brey? He's been good at ND. Bobby Hurley? Woj? There were so many options. I get why you and other Duke fans aren't going to be happy. 

Apparently it isn't official but he's the leading candidate. I guess the only benefit of having a coach in waiting is that we can still pursue 2022 recruits. 

• Like 1