Coach K to retire after season, Scheyer named coach in waiting

NYRaider

13 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I think he considered the Lakers job post Phil. Can’t remember if it was right after Phil left in 04 or sometime between 06-07.

Without knowing they’d trade for Pau that was a smart decision to stay.  I remember Izzo flirting with the Cavs when Lebron came back. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

What're your thoughts on this hire @beekay414? And do you agree that no coach in college basketball history fumbled the bag worse than Jeff Capel did?

Capel's proven he's not a good coach so you saved yourself that problem. Same with Wojo. 

Y'all are just basically trying to be like y'all's big brother down the road.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Capel's proven he's not a good coach so you saved yourself that problem. Same with Wojo. 

Y'all are just basically trying to be like y'all's big brother down the road.

That's true but if Capel would've just stayed on the staff instead of taking the Pitt job he would've been the next coach 100%. 

And agreed, this "keep it in the family" way of thinking is so annoying. It made sense for UNC when they hired Roy because he had actually proven to be an elite coach at another Blue Blood program. Scheyer and Davis haven't ever even been a head coach and have to fill the shoes of 2 of the greatest coaches in the history of CBB.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's true but if Capel would've just stayed on the staff instead of taking the Pitt job he would've been the next coach 100%. 

Which would've been a mistake IMO. He's already bombed at two other programs (OU and Pitt) so I don't see how he would've worked out at Duke. Yeah, the resources are better at Duke but Capel just doesn't have it. In 12 seasons as a coach, he's won 20+ three times, two times in 8 years at OU and Pitt and the last one came with Blake Griffin.

Edited by beekay414

Just now, beekay414 said:

Which would've been a mistake IMO. He's already bombed at two other programs (OU and Pitt) so I don't see how he would've worked out at Duke. Yeah, the resources are better at Duke but Capel just doesn't have it. In 12 seasons as a coach, he's won 20+ three times, two times in 8 years at OU and Pitt and the last one came with Blake Griffin.

That's true but Scheyer is so young and inexperienced we've never seen him as a head coach. He has been touted as a great recruiter but he's so young and unproven as a head coach. Hopefully we can get K's 6th title this year because the future doesn't look too bright for us after that.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

That's true but Scheyer is so young and inexperienced we've never seen him as a head coach. He has been touted as a great recruiter but he's so young and unproven as a head coach. Hopefully we can get K's 6th title this year because the future doesn't look too bright for us after that.

Gotta give it time, I guess. Hubert Davis and Jon Scheyer leading the two best programs in college basketball is just so hilarious. 

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Gotta give it time, I guess. Hubert Davis and Jon Scheyer leading the two best programs in college basketball is just so hilarious. 

The only thing that I'm kinda happy about is that we announced it early so that we can still go after top recruits in the 2022 class. But yeah man, Hubert/Scheyer at UNC/Duke is going to be strange. 

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

The only thing that I'm kinda happy about is that we announced it early so that we can still go after top recruits in the 2022 class. But yeah man, Hubert/Scheyer at UNC/Duke is going to be strange. 

The promising thing, so far, with Hubert is it seems like he's going away from Roy's offense, which is a huge plus. All 3 big men that he's taken in so far are all capable of playing to the 3pt line. So spacing seems like it's going to be key to Hubert's offense. If he can bring an NBA style approach, UNC may be alright going forward. My biggest fear was just status quo and running Roy's outdated system and Hubert's done a little to sway my concerns there. Of course, we'll have to see how it looks on the court but I have my hopes.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

The promising thing, so far, with Hubert is it seems like he's going away from Roy's offense, which is a huge plus. All 3 big men that he's taken in so far are all capable of playing to the 3pt line. So spacing seems like it's going to be key to Hubert's offense. If he can bring an NBA style approach, UNC may be alright going forward. My biggest fear was just status quo and running Roy's outdated system and Hubert's done a little to sway my concerns there. Of course, we'll have to see how it looks on the court but I have my hopes.

I think the biggest thing for both of our programs will be our approach to recruiting with the impending shift as guys will be able to go pro earlier and a lot of top guys skipping out on college basketball. The one-n-done era has brought us a ton of success but also a ton of disappointing seasons. I doubt Capel would be thrilled with the idea of coming back to coach under Scheyer but I'd love to add him to the staff if he gets canned at Pitt.

There is a lot of talk about MSU hiring internally when Izzo decides to retire and for our sake, i am hoping both UNC and Duke situations blow up in their face so we can have some support to expand the search.  Dwayne Stephens is a great guy but he can't even get a job at a mid major so why would you hand him the keys to MSU?