• Jazz in 5
    • Jazz in 6
    • Jazz in 7
    • Clippers in 4
    • Clippers in 5
    • Clippers in 6
    • Clippers in 7

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Mitchell has been other worldly in his last 11 playoff games and will take his team to the finals in year 4. Luka hasn't even gotten out of round 1 in year seasons. 

Luka's playoff numbers are better than Mitchell's and he has a much worse team around him. I guess 87 Jordan wasn't elite because he hadn't gotten out of the first round yet. Luka is dominating at an age when Mitchell was singlehandedly tanking the Jazz against the Rockets in the postseason.

29 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Luka's playoff numbers are better than Mitchell's and he has a much worse team around him. I guess 87 Jordan wasn't elite because he hadn't gotten out of the first round yet. Luka is dominating at an age when Mitchell was singlehandedly tanking the Jazz against the Rockets in the postseason.

Donovan Mitchell has had two poor series against the best team in the Western Conference at the time with Mitchell in his 1st/2nd seasons. We've been to the second round in 2/4 of those years and would've been 3 if we had Bogdanovic healthy in the playoffs last year. Mitchell was able to carry the Jazz with a pretty bad roster into the 2nd round vs the MVP in Westbrook and Paul George during his rookie season. 

We retooled the roster and surrounded Mitchell with shooters and other playmakers and what has happened? I like Luka and think he's a great player and from a statistically perspective he has been better but that hasn't led to wins. Luka was getting absolutely destroyed in clutch time and Mitchell just took it to Kawhi Leonard who's supposedly one of the top 5 players on the planet. 

I also think that there's more too it then just the box score, Mitchell just has that winning mentality that very few players have and can absolutely take a game over at will when he's on. We've caught some bad breaks but it's year 4 and we're a legitimate title contender as a small market team. Very few players in the history of the league have been in the position that Mitchell is in as a 24 year old star on the rise with a chance at a title in a small market. 

51 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

This is like your Mitchell/Giannis comparison two years ago. General statements based on myths aren't going to get anywhere with me. The difference between Luka and Mitchell is Mitchell has a great team around him and his best teammate had one of the best individual defensive seasons in the history of the NBA.

And we're a small market team that built that around him. Rookie Mitchell with one of the least talented rosters in the league took Utah to the second round as a rookie. 

1st 2nd 3rd 4th
Points 11.0 11.4 9.2 3.4
FG% 51.2 63.6 48.7 22.2
3FG% 47.4 63.6 42.9 16.7
Rebounds 2.6 1.2 2.8 1.4
Assists 3.2 1.6 2.8 1.8
Turnovers 1.2 1.2 0.8 1.4
Minutes 10.5 8.5 11.5 8.5

Luka's stats by quarter, great players typically don't fold in clutch time.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Alright....let's not go overboard :)

In the first round Mike Conley averaged 17 points, 9 assists, and hit 3.5 3's per game at over a 50% clip. There's a reason why he has always been highly regarded around the league and was an All-Star this season. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Agreed - he would have helped. I'm not sure the total of what had to be given up (although I think Schroder was part of it...) - but his long term prospects to stick with the team.....not sure it could have worked.

The thing that held up the deal from going through was that the Lakers did't want to give up THT. Who played left bench next to Harrell at water boy in the playoffs. Lowry is one of the best veteran PG's in the league and would've taken a ton of pressure off of LeBron.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

In the first round Mike Conley averaged 17 points, 9 assists, and hit 3.5 3's per game at over a 50% clip. There's a reason why he has always been highly regarded around the league and was an All-Star this season. 

Yeah....but he was on Memphis....so I never saw him.
Then he went.....well, to another team I never watch :)
I'll take your word for it though. Hopefully he gets to contribute this series. The Clips look like they're gonna be tough.

Just now, Leader said:

Yeah....but he was on Memphis....so I never saw him.
Then he went.....well, to another team I never watch :)
I'll take your word for it though. Hopefully he gets to contribute this series. The Clips look like they're gonna be tough.

So you admit that you don't watch much basketball. Conley has been one of the most underrated players in the league for a long time. He's currently day-to-day so ideally we'll get him back game 2 or 3. And yeah I guess so, we had one of our worst shooting nights of the season without a very good starter, cold start, down big at half, and brought it to those dudes in the second half. Other than Mitchell no one our team played very well and if the Clippers don't start trying to blitz Mitchell he'll fry them this series. Bojan and Royce both also did excellent jobs defending Kawhi and George. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The thing that held up the deal from going through was that the Lakers did't want to give up THT. Who played left bench next to Harrell at water boy in the playoffs. Lowry is one of the best veteran PG's in the league and would've taken a ton of pressure off of LeBron.

Yeah, thats true. I'd forgotten about THT being in that. Another player....potential? Yeah....how much? Cant say. He also needs to work on his jumper. I feel he's uncertain of it so he often forces drives......a bit out of control. If they trade him for a more known quantity.....I wont miss him.....not based on what I've seen so far. If they dont - I'll be hopeful he develops a better game (Read: apply the Kuzma approach). 

Just now, Leader said:

Yeah, thats true. I'd forgotten about THT being in that. Another player....potential? Yeah....how much? Cant say. He also needs to work on his jumper. I feel he's uncertain of it so he often forces drives......a bit out of control. If they trade him for a more known quantity.....I wont miss him.....not based on what I've seen so far. If they dont - I'll be hopeful he develops a better game (Read: apply the Kuzma approach). 

At the end of the day the Lakers were in win now mode and passed on a deal to acquire one of the best veteran PG in the league to keep someone who might be a decent role player in a few years. I could however see Lowry and DeRozan taking less money to team up in LA with the Lakers. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

So you admit that you don't watch much basketball.

You act as if its some kind of confession. Nope. I'll watch the Lakers - but I dont take the time to watch the entire league - many of whom never get national coverage. Doesnt mean I dont know what I'm looking at though - from playing.

42 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And we're a small market team that built that around him. Rookie Mitchell with one of the least talented rosters in the league took Utah to the second round as a rookie. 

They literally won less games his rookie year than they did the year before. They lost Hayward. They added Mitchell, Crowder midseason, and Rubio. Ingles also developed. Oh, and he still had Rudy Gobert. Least talented roster my ***. 

2018 Jazz BPM

Mitchell 1.2

Gobert 3.4, Udoh 3.1, Sefolosha 2.7 (38 games), Ingles 2.3, Favors 1.5, Rubio 0.7, Hood 0.5 (39 games), Jerebko 0.1.

2021 Mavericks BPM

Doncic 6.7

KP 2.0 (43 games), Powell 0.7, Brunson 0.5, THJ 0.1. That's every positive on the team.

39 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Luka's stats by quarter, great players typically don't fold in clutch time.

First, those stats aren't even right. Even if they were, it absolutely makes sense for a guy with his heavy a workload to get gassed by the 4th quarter. You saw it plenty in the series against the Clippers. He literally had the largest statistical carry job in NBA history in game 5, and in game 7 he created more points than anyone ever has in a game 7. He doesn't have the luxury of Gobert, Bogi, Conley, Clarkson, Ingles to make up the slack for him.

Regular season:

4th Quarter-8.0 mpg 6.2 ppg 47.1% FG 28.3% 3pt 2.1 rpg 2.1 apg 0.9 topg

Postseason:

4th Quarter-9.1 mpg 5.7 ppg 34.9% FG 27.8% 3pt 1.7 rpg 1.7 apg 1.3 topg

Edited by Bullet Club

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

Postseason:

4th Quarter-9.1 mpg 5.7 ppg 34.9% FG 27.8% 3pt 1.7 rpg 1.7 apg 1.3 topg

Good portion of those were stat padding buckets when the game was already over. I like Luka Doncic a lot, just wanna see him win in the playoffs. Mitchell is about to go dumb the rest of this series, they have no answer for him. 

Luka Doncic in the playoffs the last two seasons, 33.5 ppg on 49%, IIRC Mitchell is averaging the same ppg at a better clip. 

32 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Good portion of those were stat padding buckets when the game was already over. I like Luka Doncic a lot, just wanna see him win in the playoffs. Mitchell is about to go dumb the rest of this series, they have no answer for him. 

Luka Doncic in the playoffs the last two seasons, 33.5 ppg on 49%, IIRC Mitchell is averaging the same ppg at a better clip. 

He'll win in the postseason when his second best player isn't Tim Hardaway Jr. His individual play has been outstanding despite playing on a bad ankle last year and a neck strain that made his arm numb this year. He posted two of the largest carry job totals in NBA history in the last three games of the past series. 

Yes, Mitchell's scoring the last two series are about equal to Luka's on better efficiency. Luka still has two full seasons at a higher PPG/efficiency than Mitchell has ever had and is 2.5 years younger. Then add in significantly more playmaking, rebounding, less help, etc. By the time Luka is Mitchell's age he'll already have had a Hall of Fame career.