Around the Division

onejayhawk

How is the team approaching the season? They may not know yet.

There seems to be two main options given that the team says that it will attack the DL like it attacked the OL last offseason.

1. Re-sign Clark to a more friendly contract and do a tune up.
  2. Release Clark and do an overhaul. 

Clark is an issue. His off field issues are severe and his play has only partly justified his contract. That said, he is a leader and very close to the ehart of the team. How the team handles things will be important. I think that the team would like to retain him but with a much lower cap hit and legal protection. It would not surprise me if several things were on hold until his situation is resolved. 

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

How is the team approaching the season? They may not know yet.

There seems to be two main options given that the team says that it will attack the DL like it attacked the OL last offseason.

1. Re-sign Clark to a more friendly contract and do a tune up.
  2. Release Clark and do an overhaul. 

Clark is an issue. His off field issues are severe and his play has only partly justified his contract. That said, he is a leader and very close to the ehart of the team. How the team handles things will be important. I think that the team would like to retain him but with a much lower cap hit and legal protection. It would not surprise me if several things were on hold until his situation is resolved. 

I don’t think he ever played to his contract, his play up to the Superbowl through the playoffs 2 years ago was basically the only time I feel he was a true difference maker.  Not saying he isn’ta good player, but not a 100m dollar player.  Particularly with sharp decline in production and the aforementioned legal problems.  

i just feel if we’re going to rebuild our D-line I don’t think Clark is the answer when we could pay 2 players with his salary.

6 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Clark is definitely not the answer. The question is whether he is a part of the answer or not. Extending him at much more favorable terms would make a lot of other things much easier, assuming the legal issues can be resolved.

I have to wonder if the legal aspect is part of why we haven’t cut bait.  If there is a way we can get all our money back that’d be neat.

37 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I have to wonder if the legal aspect is part of why we haven’t cut bait.  If there is a way we can get all our money back that’d be neat.

I doubt it tbh, unless there was something in the contract initially I'm sure the players association would have a field day if we tried for that. But it sure would be nice.

The Broncos and Chargers have made some big splashes. Now it's the Raiders. In a division having Mahomes, Herbert and Wilson, Las Vegas wants a better CB. Go figure. Losing Ngakoue will hurt but it's not all bad. Chandler Jones is not what he once was, but he can still rush the passer.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/raiders_sign_pro_bowler_chandler_jones_trade_yannick_ngakoue_to_colts_for_rock_ya_sin/s1_13132_37310466

Edited by onejayhawk

I know this is about the division but the AFC is really loading up.  Jones to Raiders, Von to Bills, Z to Ravens.  Competition is heating up for top spot…but hey, we re-signed Chad Henne.

I expected our D-line rebuild to be a little more active than this.

3 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I know this is about the division but the AFC is really loading up.  Jones to Raiders, Von to Bills, Z to Ravens.  Competition is heating up for top spot…but hey, we re-signed Chad Henne.

I expected our D-line rebuild to be a little more active than this.

Jones is a step down for the raiders. He's not the force he was a couple of years ago and he's replacing Ngokoue who did well for them last year. The thing to get from that story is that the Raiders picked up Rock Ya-Sin who is a big upgrae at CB.

J

19 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Jones is a step down for the raiders. He's not the force he was a couple of years ago and he's replacing Ngokoue who did well for them last year. The thing to get from that story is that the Raiders picked up Rock Ya-Sin who is a big upgrae at CB.

J

I think that move is because they’re switching to a 3-4.

4 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Whoever makes it out of this division is definitely gonna have to earn it.

So it would seem.

Mahomes, Wilson, herbert, Carr--there is not a better set of QBs in any division now, nor in recent memory if ever. The defenses are taking note as well. 

J

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 8:21 AM, BigTrav said:

Somebody may need to explain Denver to me. Am I underrating them? Ringer NFL has them as second biggest riser, PFF has them borderline top 10, I've seen them in conversations of best defense in league. Some other publications have them right where I do, about 7 wins

Is there some superstar they've picked up that I'm missing or something?

OK, so I see once again the Broncos and Raiders are champions-elect. 

I nailed both teams last season. I'm calling this again - America is overrating both. Denver improves by a couple wins, LV still too volatile to trust. IMO.