Do you Wood Work? (woodworking thread)

theJ

11 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

I'll be building a kitchen table for our house after christmas. Building it at my dad's cause he's got all the tools.

It'll be pretty much exactly like this one, with chairs (not sure if I'm going to build them, seems like a tall order) on one side and a bench on the other.

photo.jpg

Shouldn't be too bad. Looks a lot like the one I made w/out some of the detail on the gables/legs we had to do. If you need any pointers on the bench, table let me know.

Good luck on the chairs. That seems like it'll be the hardest task.

Building things with your own hands is very satisfying.  I always wanted to try wood working, and I built a nice computer desk and garage shelves that I’m proud of.  I posted them in the home remodeling thread. 

What really turns me off about woodworking, and why I won’t pursue it further, is the mess and the saw dust.  No matter how much you fight it, there will always be a mess.  Then my allergies kick in, etc.  Its not a good time.  

16 hours ago, burlow said:

Each half of the table is made of 3 planks of wood, 2 eleven inch wide pieces and a 13 inch wide piece.  I made the slides with beech and a dado blade and sanded the whole thing by hand - I did not have access to a wide belt sander.  I think that it looks good but I can also tell you every defect that the table has, it is also about time that I should refinish it... but I am not sure that I want to do that.

If you guys want I can take some more pictures of it when I get home.

I'll gladly see some more pictures.  It looks really nice.  Love the natural wood look and color.  

How did you join the different sections of wood?  Just edge glue?

8 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I'll be building a kitchen table for our house after christmas. Building it at my dad's cause he's got all the tools.

It'll be pretty much exactly like this one, with chairs (not sure if I'm going to build them, seems like a tall order) on one side and a bench on the other.

I like it, especially if you have some matching pieces in the house.  It's pretty eye catching, so it has to match.

Yeah chairs intimidate me.  I think i'm a few years away from trying one. :D

@kgarrett12486 - you don't mess around!  How often do you get shop time?  And how long did it take to make all that stuff?

I really like that entertainment center.  I think simple designs work well with rustic looking lumber.

Also, your work bench is too clean.  Makes up for the desk i guess. xD

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

Building things with your own hands is very satisfying.  I always wanted to try wood working, and I built a nice computer desk and garage shelves that I’m proud of.  I posted them in the home remodeling thread. 

What really turns me off about woodworking, and why I won’t pursue it further, is the mess and the saw dust.  No matter how much you fight it, there will always be a mess.  Then my allergies kick in, etc.  Its not a good time.  

I spent a few months breathing in all that dust before i realized i was probably in for an early death at that rate (in addition to be an irritant to some people, saw dust is a carcinogen).  I invested in a nice dust mask, and have a room air filter to clean it up.  I think my next piece of equipment is going to be a dust collector with a MERV 15 filter.  I'd like to eliminate the saw dust almost altogether.  

36 minutes ago, theJ said:

How did you join the different sections of wood?  Just edge glue?

Yup, passed them through a joiner and then to the glue and pipe clamps.  Luckily I knew a guy who ran a small high school's woodshop, so I used his equipment.  Before I got access to that shop I was planning on clamping a straight edge on each piece of wood and using a flush cut bit and a router to put my gluing face on it... glad that I did not have to do that.

I got the green light to go home tomorrow so I will get you some better pictures. 

44 minutes ago, theJ said:

@kgarrett12486 - you don't mess around!  How often do you get shop time?  And how long did it take to make all that stuff?

I really like that entertainment center.  I think simple designs work well with rustic looking lumber.

Also, your work bench is too clean.  Makes up for the desk i guess. xD

Probably taken me close to 8-10 months to build all that. Most of my shop time is weekends or nights.

Yah, the entertainment center is probably my favorite piece. I've made 3 of them thus far, I kept the one in the pic. Our house kind of has rustic feel so it fits in well.

Yah that pic I have cardboard over the top of it lol. Have some nice stains underneath lol and I blew off all the saw dust that day as I was putting together some baby gadgets and didn't want them covered with it lol...

Really digging that table with the pipe for legs @kgarrett12486

I wanted to make wall-mounted shelves like that, but had trouble finding pipe cheap enough to do it. 

My coworker is going on vacation for a month, thinking of just stripping all the piping out of her home while she's gone. 

Archived