Do you Wood Work? (woodworking thread)

theJ

2 minutes ago, patdt13 said:

I used a dremel to sand out the inside of the Dolphin logo.

I love stuff like this, that distinguishes stuff you'd buy in stores vs. what is custom and unique to the creator of the piece.  Nice work.

Just now, theJ said:

I love stuff like this, that distinguishes stuff you'd buy in stores vs. what is custom and unique to the creator of the piece.  Nice work.

Thanks dude. I kinda felt bad cause I was the only one to do anything extra but, hey, I got a sweet dolphins stool out of it so I win.

@kgarrett12486 nice table. What is the wood species? Looks like to stained to look like walnut. I like the matching bench too. 

5 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'll post the rest of stuff I made for my house, or still have. Workin on uploading them to imgur. Don't have any pics for ones I've made for others.

I'm starting to learn to take nice finished pictures of everything I make so I have good reference photos for potential customers. It's sometimes hard to remember though. 

16 minutes ago, theJ said:

@kgarrett12486 nice table. What is the wood species? Looks like to stained to look like walnut. I like the matching bench too. 

We used one solid piece of pine, then used router to make the grooves which make it look like it's several pieces joined together. We used three different stains to give it the dark spots and lighter top coat.

I'm working on getting my other pics up, it's taking forever to upload from my phone though

i snagged a 3" thick chunk of walnut that is about 30" wide and 48" long on craigslist for dirt cheap. Didn't know what I was going to do with it, but ended up oiling it and then set it on top of a cabinet I snagged (and refinished) for free on craigslist, stepped back and said "damn...". It looked gorgeous together, so that is now my bar in my living room!

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

We used one solid piece of pine, then used router to make the grooves which make it look like it's several pieces joined together. We used three different stains to give it the dark spots and lighter top coat.

Ah that makes sense. Hard to see from the pic. I'm not a huge fan of using stain, but can admit it can make some nice pieces. 

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i snagged a 3" thick chunk of walnut that is about 30" wide and 48" long on craigslist for dirt cheap. Didn't know what I was going to do with it, but ended up oiling it and then set it on top of a cabinet I snagged (and refinished) for free on craigslist, stepped back and said "damn...". It looked gorgeous together, so that is now my bar in my living room!

Pic? Love slab work. I'd like to find one someday to make a kitchen table out of. 

5 hours ago, patdt13 said:

Took a wood working class in college(Yes I got 3 credits and an A). My final project was making a stool. I decided to be that guy and one up everyone. I used a dremel to sand out the inside of the Dolphin logo. It's legit.

z9g7Umc.jpg

Dude you got mad skills like I do. Nice work...I actually like it. Is that finished? I saw the newspaper and thought you might be painting. Did you paint the whole thing?

I haven't built anything since HS woodshop, but I built a pretty nice gun rack, that I think I still have. 

5 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Dude you got mad skills like I do. Nice work...I actually like it. Is that finished? I saw the newspaper and thought you might be painting. Did you paint the whole thing?

I haven't built anything since HS woodshop, but I built a pretty nice gun rack, that I think I still have. 

WT2ZaCC.jpg

I built a table about 7 years back, I have some pictures of when I first put the finish on it and some of the leaf so you can see the unfinished side.  I built it from black walnut that my dad milled up back in the mid 90's with a chain saw mill.  I put a clear coat on it and the wood itself is beautiful, came out like a dark cherry.  The table is the first and only time that I have made one, it is also the first and only time I made any slides or used a lathe.  

fgJ3Rhq.jpg

jHgbs2W.jpg

LWbxTWA.jpg

wnnlvjT.jpg

Those are the finish before any wear on the table, it really is a beautiful wood.  It would be difficult to make something look bad using this stuff.

ByYH3pP.jpg

What the table looks like now, I would take a different picture but I am at work and will be here for the next 4-5 days (I wont be home until I get off work).  If memory serves me the table is 53 inches wide which is great because there is a great deal of room for food on the table and people wont be crowded by having a fully set table, although it does get difficult to pass something across the table.

It also looks like my wife made fresh biscuits, berries, whipped cream and other delicous things for my in-laws while I am stuck at work eating rig food...

Each half of the table is made of 3 planks of wood, 2 eleven inch wide pieces and a 13 inch wide piece.  I made the slides with beech and a dado blade and sanded the whole thing by hand - I did not have access to a wide belt sander.  I think that it looks good but I can also tell you every defect that the table has, it is also about time that I should refinish it... but I am not sure that I want to do that.

If you guys want I can take some more pictures of it when I get home.

I'll be building a kitchen table for our house after christmas. Building it at my dad's cause he's got all the tools.

It'll be pretty much exactly like this one, with chairs (not sure if I'm going to build them, seems like a tall order) on one side and a bench on the other.

photo.jpg

Archived