NBA Off-Season Thread: Giannis >

NYRaider

The Knicks roster heading into free agency...

PG:  Luca Vildoza (25) | Miles McBride (20)

SG: Immanuel Quickley (22) | Quentin Grimes (21) 

SF: RJ Barrett (21) | Kevin Knox (21)

PF: Julius Randle (26) | Obi Toppin (23) 

C:  Mitchell Robinson (23) | Jericho Simms (22) 

I really wasn't a huge fan of their draft night moves. Grimes should be a pretty solid 3&D wing, I've seen him compared to Josh Hart and apparently Thibs loved Hart when he was coming out of Villanova so the pick makes sense. Rokas was an interesting pick but he's a stash guy and likely won't be in the league for 2-3 more years. Miles McBride should be a good backup PG but is another guy with pretty limited upside, but fits the Thibs mold. And I liked the Jericho Simms pick, he's raw but had insane numbers at the combine and that late in the draft you might as well swing for the fences. Overall though I think they had the assets to move up and drafted 2 guys that are probably solid role players at best, another who they won't have for years, and took a swing on a center. 

There's really not much to be excited about with their group. They have a bunch of young players but their 3 best young players all folded in the playoffs. With Barrett averaging 14 on 39/29 splits, Quickley averaging 6 on 30/27 splits, and Randle averaging 18 on 30/33 splits. 

They need a veteran PG/C and the free agency market is already starting to dry up. Looks like it will be another year of disappointment for them.

5 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Interesting. I can see the fit next to Luka and the Mavericks have the cap space to absorb his deal without sending any salary out, could see a situation where they just send out someone like Burke and receive Dragic/draft asset(s) for helping the teams facilitate the deal. 

In addition, Damian Lillard could still ask for a trade away from Portland and various reports have the Knicks very high on his list. That actually isn’t as good as it sounds, as the Trail Blazers can — and will — take the very best deal, according to league sources. The Knicks have to hope they have a thing for Lithuanian lefty combo guards.

Like what could the Knicks really offer Portland? Barrett, Toppin, Quickley, Robinson, and draft assets? That's a pretty meh deal and would leave the Knicks with only 7 players under contract with Randle/Lillard surrounded by Grimes, McBride, Simms, Knox, and Luca. 

32 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's dated July 25th.

Westbrook smoke was already out there days before that.

Spears had it in this article on July 21st. I think you posted quotes from it back then too.

According to sources, LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers have been on the hunt for a veteran point guard, and Paul is on the list. There have also been talks about Washington Wizards star Russell Westbrook being a potential candidate to move back home to Los Angeles in a sign-and-trade deal that could include free agent point guard Dennis Schroder, forward Kyle Kuzma and guard Talen Horton-Tucker, sources said.

So, yeah...

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

That's dated July 25th.

Westbrook smoke was already out there days before that.

Spears had it in this article on July 21st. I think you posted quotes from it back then too.

So, yeah...

I remember Fischer being one of the few that kept pushing the narrative but could've been riding Marc Spears coattails. Who according to @CWood21 has never broken a relevant story in his career. 

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Interesting. I can see the fit next to Luka and the Mavericks have the cap space to absorb his deal without sending any salary out, could see a situation where they just send out someone like Burke and receive Dragic/draft asset(s) for helping the teams facilitate the deal. 

Feel like it just makes too much sense not to happen.

They are trying to keep Luka happy. Give him a former teammate (2017 Eurobasket).

At the beginning of the night it was reported that the Mavericks were acquiring Goran Dragic as part of a three-team trade with the Philadelphia 76ers and the Miami Heat. A league source then told SportsDay's Brad Townsend that Dallas changed its mind about acquiring Dragic, a mentor of fellow Slovenian Luka Doncic, because it wanted to keep its options open for further moves this summer.

Dragic had reportedly picked up his 2019-20 player option worth $19.2 million to remain with the Heat earlier this month.

Reports then came out that Dallas would instead acquire the Heat's Kelly Olynyk and Derrick Jones Jr. in the trade as compensation for facilitating Miami's acquisition of Jimmy Butler from the Sixers.

However, according to Townsend, that deal didn't work mathematically, with the Heat falling $1.7 million short of a trade match. By late Sunday night, a source told Townsend, that the Mavericks had pulled out of the deal.

Almost happened a couple years ago. Deja vu.

Jazz front office hasn't leaked any of the guys that they're reportedly interested in. But our beat writer said our plan is to resign Mike Conley, sign a player using our MLE, and then fill the rest of the roster with guys on minimum deals. 

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Feel like it just makes too much sense not to happen.

They are trying to keep Luka happy. Give him a former teammate (2017 Eurobasket).

I think the key for Dallas will be to not blow their load in free agency this summer so they can have as much cap/roster flexibility as possible next summer. Dragic on a 1+1 deal would make sense as would someone like Nerlens Noel on a similar short term deal.  

Edited by NYRaider

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Dolan is a criminal.

The one thing that they have going for them though, especially if they don't blow their load in free agency this year, is that they'll be in a fairly similar spot to what the Nets were in during the off-season they acquired KD/Kyrie. 

They'll have enough cap space to sign two max contracts outright and then could try to acquire a third via trade using Barrett, Quickley, Randle, and draft capital to get a deal done. 

But at the end of the day it's the Knicks so I doubt it happens. 

• Like 1