Training Camp Thread......

soulman

Speaking of Borom playing at LT there's this to consider.  Borom also had the lowest QB pressure percentage (0%) last season among FBS offensive tackles according to Pro Football Focus.

Now, riddle me this.

In one of the more recent articles I read Nagy was complimenting Borom for both his talent and his conditioning saying Borom had shed 45lbs in the offseason.  If he's truly 332lbs now as listed that would mean he was over 375lbs prior to and since the draft.  Can that be right or is it more likely he's slimmed down to around 315-320lbs which seems to be about where the Bears like their OTs to play at?

I'll throw out one more thing.

I believe they're crazy to believe Elijah Wilkinson can play OT at all, left or right.  The guy plays like he's wearing concrete cleats.  My thinking is more along the lines of playing him at RG and shifting Bars to the left side and even to possibly playing at LT if needed.  His arm length isn't ideal for an OT but he appears to have enough athleticism to handle OT in a pinch.

Personally I don't think Wilkinson even belong on the roster.  He's started 26 games in Denver at both RG and RT and the Broncos cut him loose because he can't pass block.  What's makes us think we can get more out of him than they did?  From all of what I've read he's been getting destroyed so far in camp.

On 8/5/2021 at 9:14 AM, dll2000 said:

When top 3 OTs aren’t practicing it makes things look really bad.  That would be true of any position.  

Its still early August though.  Far too early to panic. 

I am sick of hearing lament about Leno and Massie though.  They are not the answer.

Give me any of these young guys over them.  

All that being said.  I think people need to wrap their head around fact that there other teams in league far better than Bears in 2021 even if everyone is playing at their best.

Easy to get excited about your guys when you are only looking at your guys on field with each other.    

Other teams have good football players too.   Better football players at a number of positions.

This is a good post.

Growing pains with young potential is better than accepting mediocrity, especially since we aren't a contender for a SB. Leno needed gone, Massie needed gone. And if we are going to have OTs going down left and right, then let Dalton take the beating. I'm all for getting Fields in the game unless we are about to David Carr the dude.

Rookie Larry Borom getting his chance early on in training camp

ByZack Pearson 17 hours ago

10515147.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Kamil Krzaczynski, USA TODAY Sports)

LAKE FOREST, Ill., — With the main focus of training camp being on the quarterbacks, a bigger storyline has emerged through the first week of practices for the Chicago Bears.

Chicago has been hit hard with injuries on the offensive line as rookie tackle Teven Jenkins has yet to practice with a back injury, projected starter at right tackle Germain Ifedi is on the PUP list, guard James Daniels dealing with a quad injury and Elijah Wilkinson on the COVID-19/reserve list. But with that, there's been an opportunity for another rookie to earn reps at tackle .

Fifth-round pick Larry Borom has stepped in and has taken reps at left tackle for the Bears over the past few practices, becoming an option for what is a depleted line here in training camp and so far, it sounds like he's making the most of this opportunity.

"He's been doing good things this whole camp. He has a really positive attitude. He's extremely focused. He fits in well with the guys. And he's coachable," head coach Matt Nagy said before Thursday's practice. " It wasn't big to him. He was not overwhelmed. The film proves it. He did a great job. But can you do a great job today? Can you do a great job the next day, and so forth? And so, that's where we'll just continue to let him grow and there's an example of somebody of, who knows how well he's gonna do or what he does or doesn't do, but he has an opportunity."

On Thursday, Borom once again get the reps with the first team at left tackle with Jenkins missing his seventh-straight practice and second-year product Lachavious Simmons was on the right side. There was improvement from Borom without the pads, following a Tuesday practice in which he held up well despite Khalil Mack blowing past him in a pass rush drill in pads. But that's to be expected as Mack is an All-Pro and among the best edge rushers in the league.

When the Bears drafted Borom they didn't set a plan for him right away. He fits more natural at right tackle making 19 starts there at Missouri while starting just one at left guard and one at left tackle in his college career. But these injuries have forced him to the left and it's an experiment the Bears are hoping works out just in case Jenkins isn't ready to start Week 1.

"I think that for him he's a big guy," Nagy said. "He lost a lot of weight after, in this offseason and that's a credit to him. I like his footwork. I think he's really lightfooted for being such a big man. I don't know if he can play left tackle. That's why we're trying to put him there, to see."

For Borom, getting comfortable over there will be key and his position coach, Juan Castillo, considers him a contender to land a starting job after what he's seen so far this offseason from the rookie.

"Well, he’s a contender because of what he did the other day. That’s the way things happened. He got in there with the first group and did a great job against a good football … we’re very fortunate to go against a defensive line that we’re going against," Castillo said. "So he did a good … He’s been doing a good job on the right side, too. So he went over there and did a really good job and so now that gives me the confidence that he’s in there in a dogfight for that left tackle position anyway."

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Borom is hurt.  LOL.  When it rains it’s pours I guess.  

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Now Simmons is down.  

Bears are out of OTs I think.  

Dunno what's behind all of this but if I'm Matt Nagy I'd have the Head Trainer and his staff in my office just as soon as practical wanting some explanations for why my OL are falling like flies.

I'm not a conditioning coach or a weight lifter but is it possible that all of this emphasis on bulking up and adding more muscle mass has impacted these guys flexibility in a very negative way?

Jenkins has muscle tightness in his back.  Ifedi gets a hip flexor injury before he even steps on the field.  Now both Borom and Simmons are hurt which leads me to ask how hurts and where?

A non-padded practice like the Bears held Thursday is normally nothing to get excited about, especially with three straight padded workouts through Sunday coming.

Still, the fans at Halas Hall were treated to some of the bigger plays to be produced in workouts, including Alec Ogletree's interception of Andy Dalton in his first practice as a team linebacker, a field goal in the 60-yard range by roster challenger Brian Johnson and Dalton's big deep throw to Damiere Byrd behind the defense.

Of course, the big plays to draw the most response from the crowd were by quarterback Justin Fields. One was a rocket through the coverage to the back of the end zone on a post pattern by Rodney Adams for a touchdown from about 20 yards out in red zone work and the other was when he ran a quarterback draw inside the 10 for an easy touchdown.

Fields always gets them fired up just like he seems to fire up teammates.

"Man, I love the kid," tight end Jimmy Graham said. "He sits beside me in the locker room and, man, he wants to be good. He wants to be great. He puts in the work.

"The guy really can throw the ball. That's been impressive to see his arm strength. At some point I've got to get him matched up at some point with a guy up there in Seattle."

The guy in Seattle is Fields' friend and former teammate Russell Wilson and Graham didn't mind making comparisons.

"Especially, you know, the ability to make plays while you're running," Graham said "It's been impressive to see him so young, so focused and I can tell it definitely reminds me a lot of Russell Wilson."

Back from contracting COVID-19—one he said his 1-year-old daughter also caught—quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo afterward was praising Fields' arm talent.

"Yeah, the throw in the post in the red zone today (to Adams), that was the only spot where that ball could have been," Fields said. "There was good coverage there from the defensive back and he threw it facemask or higher and that was a heck of a throw."

The way Fields throws the ball differentiates him from other quarterbacks. For one, he's able to change speeds on his throws, going to the four-seam fastball on that riser to Adams at the back of the end zone.

"I think a lot of that has to do with you can do that or you can't," DeFilippo said. "The other thing I think we've seen, to build on that a little with your question, I think the other thing we've seen is him being able to change his arm angle."

DeFilippo pointed out a screen pass Fields threw under pressure.

"You saw it today on the screen where he had to dip down and get it around the defensive end," DeFilippo said. "A lot of that is talent. A lot of that is God-given ability to be able to make an accurate throw while you're off platform. We try to mimic those things as much as we can, but getting that full-speed rep in practice is huge."

This article first appeared on Bear Digest and was syndicated with permission.

• Like 1

Quick Hits: Ogletree shines in first two practices

Aug 06, 2021 at 12:34 PM
mayer_headshot
Larry Mayer

Bears Senior Writer

oko00qvgxbcpzdqw2gre.jpg

Alec Ogletree has wasted little time making a positive first impression.

After signing with the Bears Wednesday, the veteran linebacker registered an interception in Thursday's practice and then followed by picking off three passes in Friday's workout at Halas Hall.

Ogletree has appeared in 95 games with 94 starts over eight NFL seasons with the Rams (2013-17), Giants (2018-19) and Jets (2020). He has recorded 679 tackles, 44 tackles-for-loss, 7.5 sacks, 12 interceptions—returning four for touchdowns—and 12 forced fumbles.

Well.....we now have an explanation for Borom and Simmons.  WTF are they doing in these padded practices.

What are the chances the Bears pick up a free agent tackle?
Kevin S.
Sandwich, Illinois

General manager Ryan Pace is constantly looking to upgrade the roster at every position. But I'm sure he's spending extra time reviewing all available options at tackle given the injuries that have thinned out the position so far in training camp. Teven Jenkins and Germain Ifedi—generally considered to be the frontrunners for the two starting positions this season—have missed all of camp with back and hip injuries, respectively; veteran Elijah Wilkinson is on the reserve/COVID-19 list; rookie fifth-round pick Larry Borom is in concussion protocol; and second-year pro Lachavious Simmons exited Friday's practice to be evaluated for a concussion. Of course, at this time of year with NFL rosters at 90, there are few quality street free agents available. But I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see the Bears add a tackle or two, especially with their first preseason game next Saturday.

Edited by soulman

Tonga is my rookie pick to click.  He's my 2021 Tanner Gentry.....LOL.

I haven't heard much about rookie seventh-round pick Khyiris Tonga in training camp and was wondering how he's progressing.
Pete T.
Provo, Utah

The Bears are pleased with how rookie nose tackle Khyiris Tonga has been improving in practice, and they're confident he'll make even more strides now that they're practicing in pads on a more consistent basis. After conducting their first padded practice of training camp Tuesday at Soldier Field, they're planning to work out in pads Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Said Bears first-year defensive line coach Chris Rumph: "I'm just happy for him because when we had shorts on, those kind of (non-contact) practices are not him. I was anticipating just watching him once we put the pads on, and I can say I'm really happy and pleased with where he is right now and his growth." Rumph explained why he was eager to get the 6-4, 321-pounder in pads, saying: "In OTAs, it's more mental. You're really working on footwork, hands and eyes and things like that. To go against these veteran guys here in camp with pads on—you can't go out there and say, 'Hey, take it easy on me, I'm a seventh-round pick.' But to see him play the physical part is impressive for a young guy." I think that Tonga is in an excellent position to succeed; the Bears defense is similar to the scheme he played in at BYU and he's been getting expanded reps in practice with veteran Eddie Goldman on the reserve/COVID-19 list.