Training Camp Thread......

soulman

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

There is no question O line took a large jump as unit when Mustipher became a full time starter and Whitehair moved to guard.

Good story @soulman

I can't imagine that his working out with Olin Kruetz hasn't also helped him alot. If he can bring the same kind of attitude and intelligence Kruetz displayed we may have another Pro Bowl OC on our hands.  For UDFA guys both Mustipher and Bars have played well above that status.

One by one a procession of Bears offensive players stepped forth over the last week to describe how much impressive they found quarterback Andy Dalton.

Perhaps the best, and most telling about last year's quarterback situation, came from second-year wide receiver Darnell Mooney.

"Just literally when he first stepped in here you could feel a difference in the huddle," Mooney said. "Just in his experience, the way he moves around.

"Like when he first came in, everybody is getting the different plays, we knew that he didn't know it already, but the way he moved around he was like 'Yeah, I've been running these plays with you guys for a while'. It just seemed like that."

While Justin Fields learns, Dalton has learned.

"One hundred percent, he's got full control of this offense, without a doubt," coach Matt Nagy said. "We could play a game tomorrow and be just fine."

Dalton didn't play in this Bears/Kansas City style of offensive system in the past, but in his 10 previous seasons he's seen about everything the NFL has produced.

"I'm very comfortable with what we are doing," Dalton said. "I think that's just kind of being in the system and studying the book and making sure that everybody is on the same page.

"For me, I've been a part of so many different systems that there is not many plays that are new to me. Yeah, I'm very confident with what we have and got going. It's about building that chemistry during camp and being ready for Week 1."

None of this surprised Bears offensive coordinator Bill Lazor, who was Dalton's quarterbacks coach and then offensive coordinator with Cincinnati.

"When you're a quarterback with as much experience as Andy’s had, you've been fooled many times by the defense and hopefully learned from it, which I think he's proven he has," Lazor said. "He's also figured out some things you can do to take control of it. And I think right now everyone is feeling that his experience brings some confidence with it. 

"I think that’s rubbing off on a lot of people. He also brings a certain tempo of play, which I think is rubbing off on the offense. So I think it’s been felt by everyone."

To borrow a term from defensive coordinator, Dalton's confidence is palpable.

It's not all of the work Dalton did at training camp which has made the difference, or even at Halas Hall in OTAs and minicamp. In the offseason, he managed to get to Chicago to learn his receivers. Besides knowing the offense, the timing with receivers is critical.

"Yeah, I worked with our guys when I first signed here," Dalton said. "I was up here and I worked with a bunch of our guys. Even this summer, off campus.

"We were kind of all over the place. We had six to eight guys probably. So yeah, we had a good group."

The place all this work led was the anticipatory throws coach Matt Nagy has spoken a good deal about this offseason. Dalton anticipates where receivers will be and puts it there for them. It can only open with timing and confidence in his receivers.

"I feel really good where we're at right now," Dalton said. "Just reading body language on certain routes—you talk about anticipation throws, when you see certain moves you know you can let the ball go and they're going to be in this spot. And I feel really good about where we're at right now."

There is an area of the offense not in the hands of Dalton and his receivers or their knowledge of the attack and it helps make the passing attack go. Of course, it's the pass blocking.

Without both of their starting tackles on the field through the first five practices, there must be questions about whether they can accomplish this for a less mobile, older quarterback like Dalton.

The pass blocking hasn't been great so far in non-padded practices.

"The best thing we've got going now is we can put pads on," Dalton said. "It's like the offensive line is at a little disadvantage when there's no pads.

"You're trying to be smart up front with guys going against each other, but now we've got pads on. The competition is real. I think things will get solidified once the pads come on and we start playing some real football."

This article first appeared on Bear Digest and was syndicated with permission.

https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/08/03/chicago-bears-training-camp-injury-report-jenkins-cohen-quinn-burns-gipson-wilkinson/

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/bears-training-camp-instant-twitter-observations-day-6/

Borom working at LT with Wilkinson and Jenkins out.  That would not be good.   I see Borom as more of a guard.

Where is Bars?  I think he got some work at LT somewhere too.

4 hours ago, soulman said:

"One hundred percent, he's got full control of this offense, without a doubt," coach Matt Nagy said. "We could play a game tomorrow and be just fine."

Dalton didn't play in this Bears/Kansas City style of offensive system in the past, but in his 10 previous seasons he's seen about everything the NFL has produced.

I know coach speak is common, but I absolutely hate how stupid it makes them - especially Nagy right now - look and sound. 

You can't claim it takes three years to fully understand/master the offense and then claim a new signing has it at the beginning of August. You can say "we're way ahead of what we hoped", "Dalton translated smoothly to the new offense" or a dozens of other things. But going on absolutes that are both false and on opposite ends of a spectrum is disingenuous and dumb. 

I'd 100% rather have the old Bill vague responses than this. Lol. 

• Like 3

Have either of our starting OT practiced yet?

That whole situation is quickly becoming my largest concern going into the season.... constantly hearing about how defense is "living in the backfield" while our 2nd draft pick Jenkins (and presumed starting LT) already is having back problems, and Borom (who I actually have pretty high expectations for) isn't even among our top 4 OT, apparently.

It's still early August, but it's hardly confidence inspiring.

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I know coach speak is common, but I absolutely hate how stupid it makes them - especially Nagy right now - look and sound. 

You can't claim it takes three years to fully understand/master the offense and then claim a new signing has it at the beginning of August. You can say "we're way ahead of what we hoped", "Dalton translated smoothly to the new offense" or a dozens of other things. But going on absolutes that are both false and on opposite ends of a spectrum is disingenuous and dumb. 

I'd 100% rather have the old Bill vague responses than this. Lol. 

Semantics.  Nagy claims he has "full control" not "full mastery".  There's a huge difference.

What I believe he means is that Dalton can get the play called properly in the huddle, get his offense to the LOS, make any necessary adjustments in line blocking, and get the ball snapped all within the 30 seconds allotted.  It's not about running every play in Nagy's playbook but rather being able to efficiently execute those he can run and I think based on his experience he can run quite a bit of it.

3 minutes ago, soulman said:

Semantics.  Nagy claims he has "full control" not "full mastery".  There's a huge difference.

What I believe he means is that Dalton can get the play called properly in the huddle, get his offense to the LOS, make any necessary adjustments in line blocking, and get the ball snapped all within the 30 seconds allotted.  It's not about running every play in Nagy's playbook but rather being able to efficiently execute those he can run and I think based on his experience he can run quite a bit of it.

I get what you're saying. It's fine, but he doesn't have full control either, at least of a full offense. There is still a lot Nagy hasn't installed. If it takes 3 years to "master" then it takes more than a few months to learn everything. Dumbing it down means Tru had "full control" too. Not too inspiring. lol 

Its just an empty saying IMO. Nagy said it took Smith two and a half years to make the offense "his own." Both Smith and Dalton are guys who are vets with a good number of starts.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Can you run a 3 person pass protection set if you tack a TE and RB on either side?  

Wow.  Kinda the worst case scenario you could imagine after letting Leno go. Still early but many are the Bears thin. 

It's too soon to be pushing too many panic buttons and any thought that they even could have kept Leno with his $9 mil cap hit is foolish.

14 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I get what you're saying. It's fine, but he doesn't have full control either, at least of a full offense. There is still a lot Nagy hasn't installed. If it takes 3 years to "master" then it takes more than a few months to learn everything. Dumbing it down means Tru had "full control" too. Not too inspiring. lol 

Its just an empty saying IMO. Nagy said it took Smith two and a half years to make the offense "his own." Both Smith and Dalton are guys who are vets with a good number of starts.

Like you said, "coach speak".

We all know that Nagy is a master of optimism so you'll seldom hear a discouraging word from him and even his negatives are couched in some kind of neutral way.  How long it may take for Dalton to "master" Nagy's entire playbook is a moot point.  He isn't gonna be here for 3 years so Lazor will just need to get him as full of it as he can now.  Being the experienced vet he is it may well take less time for him that it will for Fields.

What I'm taking from it is that he's very confident we could play a game with Dalton at QB tomorrow and potentially win the game.

Let's not forget that with the exception of GB other NFCN teams are in the same spot we are.  Detroit has a new QB and Minny has 3 of it's 4 QBs including Cousins out on a quarantine due to COVID protocol.  And that's only the NFCN.  Indy lost Wentz.  LA has a new QB.  SF isn't sure who their starter will be.  NE and the NYJ have rookie QBs.  Denver has Lock and Bridgewater and no Rodgers.  Texas is looking to trade Watson.

I'm content with where we're at as far as QB goes.  My concerned are more focused on our OL.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soulman said:

What I believe he means is that Dalton can get the play called properly in the huddle, get his offense to the LOS, make any necessary adjustments in line blocking, and get the ball snapped all within the 30 seconds allotted. 

Honest question - how many QBs in the league can’t do this? Even as rookies? Highly drafted rookie QBs every year are able to do this by September if not earlier. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Honest question - how many QBs in the league can’t do this? Even as rookies? Highly drafted rookie QBs every year are able to do this by September if not earlier. 

Mitch Trubisky for one.  Other than that I don't have a head count for you on the rest.

Gimme an f'n break.  How many times have you ever heard Nagy express any pessimism this early?

Logic tells me that Dalton is getting his job done at least at the level expected of him now.

Right now I'm still wondering why our prize rookie LT is out with a back problem that appeared out of the blue and we have zero explanation for it other than "he has a sore back" and we'll be trying others at LT to compete for the starting spot.  Tell me that doesn't sound a little ominous.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1