Training Camp Thread......

soulman

23 hours ago, soulman said:

Matt Nagy praises Darnell Mooney's route running, calls him a 'steal' in 2020 draft

ByAaron Morris 21 hours ago
10519113.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

(Photo: Kamil Krzaczynski , USA TODAY Sports)

LAKE FOREST, Ill. — As training camp continues on for the Chicago Bears, one player that has had a strong start through the first nine practices is wide receiver Darnell Mooney. The 2020 fifth-round pick turned heads as a rookie, grasping on to the Bears No. 2 receiver job and this year he appears to be ready to take that next step.

And for the Bears, they didn't have to wait long for Mooney to show what he can do as head coach Matt Nagy says he knew right away that the team had a steal in the receiver out of Tulane.

"When we evaluated him – coaching staff, personnel — when we evaluated him last year, we knew in the fifth round, I’m just telling you — we knew in the fifth round we were getting a steal," Nagy said on Saturday.

Coming off a season in which he had 61 receptions for 631 yards and 4 touchdowns, Nagy is intrigued with what he's seen so far by Mooney this offseason, specifically in one area.

“It’s more routes. He’s putting his own spin and stamp on more routes," Nagy said. "Like last year he had a couple of routes that he was really good at and it’s not like he just got good at running [routes].”

Mooney was appreciative of the compliment and following another impressive practice, he talked a little more in-depth about his route running and the process that went into it form this year to the offseason. So far, there everything appears to be good with where Mooney thinks he's at but he does know there is still room to get better and be more confident in his game.

However, you wouldn't expect that after seeing him in training camp looking like a more polished product.

“My route running, I feel like it’s up to par. I appreciate the comment from coach Nagy," Mooney said. "I’m working to get better, getting more confident in my routes, getting more comfortable with the quarterback and being on time with the quarterback.” Last year I was more so just trying to just be at the right place at the right time," Mooney said. "This year I’m more comfortable just taking my time, being more at pace and being able to just win the route and then the quarterback hit me. So just having that confidence and being able to run the route is definitely different than last year.”

The other thing Nagy pointed out was how he’d Mooney works and his willingness to learn from Allen Robinson, who has taken the young receiver under his wing a little bit.

“And he’s proven us so far to be what we thought he was. Because he works hard. And the other thing is, A-Rob’s his mentor," Nagy said. "A-Rob’s teaching him a lot of stuff, and that’s to his credit for latching on to him and now he’s putting it out there on tape and it’s just, it’s fun to see.”

Mooney admitted earlier in training camp that he's attached to the hip of Robinson as the two worked out together in the offseason. Robinson is a great mentor to have as he's a player that has established himself as one of the top receivers in the league.

And for Mooney, the goal is to always get better and become the best he can be in his career here in Chicago.

"I want to be a precise route runner," Mooney said. "And I want to be known for my route running and just being able to do things after the ball."

He was their 3rd 5th round pick that year, behind Gipson and Vildor. If he was such a steal, they wouldn't have waited to take him. They bet on a trait, speed, and the bet paid off and they're trying to make it sound like they knew what they were doing all along.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

He was their 3rd 5th round pick that year, behind Gipson and Vildor. If he was such a steal, they wouldn't have waited to take him. They bet on a trait, speed, and the bet paid off and they're trying to make it sound like they knew what they were doing all along.

As I recall it was the coaching staff and scouts who were "pounding on the table" to draft the kid.  They recognized his talent yet his size (or the lack thereof) had caused him to drop far below where those same guys thought he should have gone.

They've gotten more than they bargained for so far and Mooney's arrow his definitely pointing up so I'll let 'em crow about their finding a "steal" if it makes them happy.  Based on his rookie year the kid could easily have been a 2nd round pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

As I recall it was the coaching staff and scouts who were "pounding on the table" to draft the kid.  They recognized his talent yet his size (or the lack thereof) had caused him to drop far below where those same guys thought he should have gone.

They've gotten more than they bargained for so far and Mooney's arrow his definitely pointing up so I'll let 'em crow about their finding a "steal" if it makes them happy.  Based on his rookie year the kid could easily have been a 2nd round pick.

I will say, if guys are actually "pounding" on the table, then maybe they should listen more? Between Gipson and Mooney, 5 wide receivers were drafted in the 17 picks - that's nearly 33%!

Tyler Johnson

Collin Johnson

Quintez Cephus

John Hightower

Isaiah Coulter

I wouldn't take any of those guys over Mooney now, Tyler Johnson would be the closest. 

• Like 1

BEARS
Ogletree making case to make roster
Veteran LB has 6 INTs through 4 practices

CT_IC_1016499496_1016567624_001-0809_etree-interceptions-roster.jpg

Giants linebacker Alec Ogletree intercepts a pass intended for Bears wide receiver Anthony Miller in 2019. Brian Cassella/Chicago Tribune

By Brad Biggs Chicago Tribune.

The Bears can’t keep this secret forever if Alec Ogletree keeps doing headline-worthy stuff at training camp.
The veteran inside linebacker, signed Wednesday after injuries swept across the roster, has six interceptions in his first four practices and is the only defender consistently putting footballs in the team’s takeaway bucket — a blue laundry cart on wheels — to celebrate momentous plays.
Not all interceptions are created equally, but you can’t help but notice how Ogletree has been around the ball during his first week of learning the defensive system. A former standout for the St. Louis Rams, who drafted him in the first round out of Georgia in 2013, Ogletree still might be a bit of a long shot to make the roster. That could change if he continues his torrid pace of making plays for a defense that didn’t make nearly enough the last two seasons.

The Bears declined to make Ogletree available to media after practice at Halas Hall on Sunday, when he had another pick in 7-on-7 red-zone drills. That made it four straight practices with an interception for Ogletree, who has 12 career picks in 93 games with three coming against the Bears.
Conventional thinking is teams running a base 3-4 defense will go light at inside linebacker after cutting the roster to 53. That’s what the Bears did a year ago when they opened the season with four: starters Roquan Smith and Danny Trevathan along with Josh Woods and Joel Iyiegbuniwe as backups and core special teams players.

However, the Bears went heavy at inside linebacker two years ago, when they surprisingly kept six: the four listed above along with Kevin Pierre-Louis and Nick Kwiatkoski. It was considered one of the stronger areas of the roster, and all four backups were key on special teams.
Ogletree was signed as a depth addition because Woods (quadriceps) has been out, Iyiegbuniwe (hamstring) has been limited and Christian Jones has been on the reserve/COVID-19 list since Tuesday. The Bears needed inside linebackers to practice and turned to Ogletree, who was with the New York Jets for only two games last season.

The Rams traded Ogletree to the New York Giants in 2018, less than six months after signing him to a four-year, $42 million contract extension. The Rams were pivoting to create salary-cap space, and the Giants were revamping the position. He did OK in two seasons for the Giants — and certainly played well in games against the Bears and quarterbacks Chase Daniel and Mitch Trubisky — but they released him after the 2019 season.

If Ogletree — who began his college career as a safety — continues to be in the right spot at the right time, it will be noticed, and barring some quick comebacks by the sidelined linebackers, he figures to get extensive playing time Saturday in the preseason opener against the Miami Dolphins at Soldier Field.

“He is a nice-sized guy (6-foot-2, 245 pounds) that has speed and he has experience too, so when you get into these situations in training camp where you’re looking for a little bit of depth, he helps out,” coach Matt Nagy said. “He’s providing great depth and competition, and that’s all we can ask for.”

Ogletree, who turns 30 next month, might not move like he did earlier in his career, but he’s probably more fluid in pass coverage than Trevathan at this point. Trevathan has looked better in camp than he did early last season, but defensive coordinator Sean Desai has to know opponents are going to scheme ways to attack him in the passing game. Trevathan isn’t going anywhere as the Bears fully guaranteed his $3 million base salary.
While Woods and Iyiegbuniwe haven’t emerged on defense like the Bears might have hoped, they’ve been reliable players for special teams coordinator Chris Tabor. Ogletree, as a frontline defensive player since entering the NFL, has only 187 career snaps on special teams — 82 of them coming during his rookie season. Perhaps the Bears will seek to discover if that’s part of his game that can be developed.

Jones wasn’t an insignificant offseason addition as a capable backup and experienced special teams player. He’s also bigger at 6-3, 240 pounds, and Tabor is always seeking players with height and length who can move.

All Ogletree can do is prove he’s comfortable learning Desai’s system while trying to make more plays. The Bears are off Monday, so we’ll see Tuesday if he can make it five consecutive practices with an interception.

BEARS WHAT WE LEARNED

CT_IC_1016499494_1016567582_002-0809_smond-trufant-dazz-newsome.jpg

Bears cornerback Desmond Trufant, center, runs drills during OTAs at Halas Hall in Lake Forest on June 9. Jose M. Osorio/Chicago Tribune

By Colleen Kane Chicago Tribune

The Bears held a padded practice at Halas Hall on Sunday before heading into a day off Monday.
Here are four things we learned from coach Matt Nagy and his players.

1. Desmond Trufant is good with being pushed by the young Bears cornerbacks.
Trufant, who will be 31 in September, has started 103 games over eight seasons with the Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions, and the Bears signed him to compete with second-year cornerback Kindle Vildor this summer for the starting spot opposite Jaylon Johnson.

Trufant became the elder statesman of the room, which also includes Johnson in his second season and Duke Shelley in his third. Last week Vildor said he was a freshman in high school when the Falcons drafted Trufant in 2013, and as a Georgia native, Vildor grew up watching him.
“A lot of the guys are young in the room,” Trufant said. “So it is crazy just to see how things have progressed in my career and where I’m at. But it’s a blessing to be here. Those guys, they push me. Every day we push each other. So it’s a great room. Everybody’s cool. I’m just blessed and thankful to be here.”

When asked if it was tough to be competing for a job as a seasoned veteran, Trufant said, “I don’t have no ego, man.” But Trufant, who made the Pro Bowl in 2015, also believes he has more he can accomplish.

He is focusing on staying healthy after he was limited to 15 games over the last two seasons. He dealt with a groin injury last week but practiced Sunday. And he’s trying to keep improving.

“When I wake up, I want to be the best me at the end of the day,” he said. “I know I’ve still got a lot out there. I’ve still got a lot of plays to make, things to accomplish. So every day I just try to be the best me, help the guys in any way I can.”

2. Defensive coordinator Sean Desai might use the preseason to decide where he wants to be during games.

Matt Nagy said Desai might coach from both the sideline and the booth during the three preseason games to get a feel for what he likes best.
Former Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio called games in the booth, and Desai, who began with the Bears as a defensive quality control coach, sat next to him. Now-retired Bears defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano preferred the sideline.

Senior defensive assistant Mike Pettine moved from the booth to the sideline during his time as the Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator, in part because the time it took to get down from the coaches box hindered opportunities for communication with players before games and at halftime, he told The Athletic.

Desai said on the Bears All-Access show in February that if he had to call a game then, he would be upstairs. “I see the game really well from up there, and I’ll be able to help manage the game with some of the strengths that I bring on game day from up there,” he said then. “Especially as a first-time play caller, that would be a good setting for me. And if I need to get down, I’ll get down.”

3. Dazz Newsome is focused on learning as he continues to recover from a broken collarbone.

Newsome, a sixth-round draft pick out of North Carolina this year, has gotten off to a slow start at Halas Hall.  He broke his collarbone in OTAs and started training camp on the physically unable to perform list. He came off the PUP list last week but has been limited in practices since. The rookie wide receiver has been running routes on air and trying to get his timing down with the quarterbacks as he continues his recovery, Nagy said.

“It was definitely upsetting, but it was just a minor setback,” Newsome said. “I’ve just got to keep grinding and keep doing what I do and believe in the plan.”

Newsome said he has tried to lean on advice from running back Tarik Cohen, defensive back Teez Tabor and wide receiver Marquise Goodwin as he works through the injury. Their advice: “Trust and believe in the process and make sure I’m in the playbook,” Newsome said.

“Dazz is a great kid,” Nagy said. “He’s got an infectious personality, as you all see. It’s very authentic and real. It’s also neat to see him want to learn from these older receivers too. He’s just taking it all in. It’ll be interesting to get him out there and really get going and see what he can do.”

4. The Bears didn’t have any positive changes to their lengthy injury report.

Several key players remained out Sunday, including offensive linemen James Daniels (quadriceps), Germain Ifedi (hip flexor), Teven Jenkins (back), Elijah Wilkinson (COVID-19 list), Larry Borom (concussion) and Lachavious Simmons (concussion).

On the defensive side, inside linebacker Roquan Smith (groin), safeties Eddie Jackson (hamstring) and Tashaun Gipson (groin) and nose tackle Eddie Goldman (COVID-19 list) are the biggest names to remain out.

12 minutes ago, soulman said:

BEARS
Ogletree making case to make roster
Veteran LB has 6 INTs through 4 practices

CT_IC_1016499496_1016567624_001-0809_etree-interceptions-roster.jpg

Giants linebacker Alec Ogletree intercepts a pass intended for Bears wide receiver Anthony Miller in 2019. Brian Cassella/Chicago Tribune

By Brad Biggs Chicago Tribune.

The Bears can’t keep this secret forever if Alec Ogletree keeps doing headline-worthy stuff at training camp.
The veteran inside linebacker, signed Wednesday after injuries swept across the roster, has six interceptions in his first four practices and is the only defender consistently putting footballs in the team’s takeaway bucket — a blue laundry cart on wheels — to celebrate momentous plays.
Not all interceptions are created equally, but you can’t help but notice how Ogletree has been around the ball during his first week of learning the defensive system. A former standout for the St. Louis Rams, who drafted him in the first round out of Georgia in 2013, Ogletree still might be a bit of a long shot to make the roster. That could change if he continues his torrid pace of making plays for a defense that didn’t make nearly enough the last two seasons.

The Bears declined to make Ogletree available to media after practice at Halas Hall on Sunday, when he had another pick in 7-on-7 red-zone drills. That made it four straight practices with an interception for Ogletree, who has 12 career picks in 93 games with three coming against the Bears.
Conventional thinking is teams running a base 3-4 defense will go light at inside linebacker after cutting the roster to 53. That’s what the Bears did a year ago when they opened the season with four: starters Roquan Smith and Danny Trevathan along with Josh Woods and Joel Iyiegbuniwe as backups and core special teams players.

However, the Bears went heavy at inside linebacker two years ago, when they surprisingly kept six: the four listed above along with Kevin Pierre-Louis and Nick Kwiatkoski. It was considered one of the stronger areas of the roster, and all four backups were key on special teams.
Ogletree was signed as a depth addition because Woods (quadriceps) has been out, Iyiegbuniwe (hamstring) has been limited and Christian Jones has been on the reserve/COVID-19 list since Tuesday. The Bears needed inside linebackers to practice and turned to Ogletree, who was with the New York Jets for only two games last season.

The Rams traded Ogletree to the New York Giants in 2018, less than six months after signing him to a four-year, $42 million contract extension. The Rams were pivoting to create salary-cap space, and the Giants were revamping the position. He did OK in two seasons for the Giants — and certainly played well in games against the Bears and quarterbacks Chase Daniel and Mitch Trubisky — but they released him after the 2019 season.

If Ogletree — who began his college career as a safety — continues to be in the right spot at the right time, it will be noticed, and barring some quick comebacks by the sidelined linebackers, he figures to get extensive playing time Saturday in the preseason opener against the Miami Dolphins at Soldier Field.

“He is a nice-sized guy (6-foot-2, 245 pounds) that has speed and he has experience too, so when you get into these situations in training camp where you’re looking for a little bit of depth, he helps out,” coach Matt Nagy said. “He’s providing great depth and competition, and that’s all we can ask for.”

Ogletree, who turns 30 next month, might not move like he did earlier in his career, but he’s probably more fluid in pass coverage than Trevathan at this point. Trevathan has looked better in camp than he did early last season, but defensive coordinator Sean Desai has to know opponents are going to scheme ways to attack him in the passing game. Trevathan isn’t going anywhere as the Bears fully guaranteed his $3 million base salary.
While Woods and Iyiegbuniwe haven’t emerged on defense like the Bears might have hoped, they’ve been reliable players for special teams coordinator Chris Tabor. Ogletree, as a frontline defensive player since entering the NFL, has only 187 career snaps on special teams — 82 of them coming during his rookie season. Perhaps the Bears will seek to discover if that’s part of his game that can be developed.

Jones wasn’t an insignificant offseason addition as a capable backup and experienced special teams player. He’s also bigger at 6-3, 240 pounds, and Tabor is always seeking players with height and length who can move.

All Ogletree can do is prove he’s comfortable learning Desai’s system while trying to make more plays. The Bears are off Monday, so we’ll see Tuesday if he can make it five consecutive practices with an interception.

Ogletree is making case to be the starter by way he is showing out in practice.

He is making splash plays every single day.   It is insane.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If DT truly has slowed to the point where he's a liability in coverage Ogletree provides a nice alternative whose also plays the run well.

It was pretty obvious last year that Woods and Iggy were not starting level guys yet we were forced to play them when injuries took their toll.

I'd be far more comfortable with Ogletree and Christian Jones as backups and then we draft some ILB talent next spring.

Chicago Bears: 4 players who saw their stock rise after two weeks of camp

https://beargoggleson.com/2021/08/09/chicago-bears-training-camp-stock-rise/6/

Chicago Bears, Jesse James

The Chicago Bears saw Jesse James’ stock rise in the first two weeks of camp

Despite not being on the team until right before training camp got underway, Jesse James has already impressed at camp. The connection between James and Justin Fields was the connection I hinted at earlier. These two have been hitting on passes, especially across the middle, often over the last two weeks. In fact, seeing what James can do with Fields makes me feel comfortable with the team deciding to move on from Jimmy Graham before the season starts.

If the Chicago Bears have Cole Kmet as the top tight end, they can easily slot Jesse James in as the TE2 should Graham see the door. The extra salary cap space could even help solve the offensive line woes. The emergence of James has even made keeping Graham look worse, especially when Charles Leno could still be in camp instead.

Holy SMOKES! Fields with a “Mahomes” sidearm throw running to his left and fit the ball into tight coverage for the completion to Jesse James.

Copy link to Tweet

These are the types of reports we have seen all of training camp it seems. Justin Fields throwing passes to Jesse James and actually completing them. When he was brought in, James was viewed as the next Demetrius Harris, but it appears he could and should have a bigger impact than Harris did last season. Although still likely the TE3 on this team, with two tight end sets being used as often as they are in Matt Nagy’s offense, there will be plenty of opportunities for James.

Chicago Bears, Riley Ridley

The Chicago Bears have seen Riley Ridley’s stock see a jump

Another player who has seen his stock go way up, especially over the last week, is wide receiver Riley Ridley. Ridley came into this offseason as a possible camp casualty. He still could be, but he definitely making a case to remain on the team.

The Chicago Bears drafted Ridley in the fourth round of the 2019 NFL Draft. He was a luxury pick at that point and the true definition of “best player available”. However, he has not lived up to those draft expectations. In fact, Ridley has struggled to even see the field despite being efficient with his opportunities. He is a solid route runner who does not have breakaway speed, but he has caught all but one of his 11 targets for a 90.9 percent catch rate.

Fields with ANOTHER deep ball touchdown. This time to Riley Ridley.

Copy link to Tweet

Another Justin Fields mention. Are we sure it just isn’t him who is causing others to look great in camp? Well, Ridley has been making connections with Andy Dalton while seeing first-team reps too.

Nice catch by Riley Ridley on a ball from Andy Dalton for a long TD in 7 on 7 drills. #Bears

Copy link to Tweet

When I wrote my prediction on who would make the final 53-man roster, I had Riley Ridley making it over Javon Wims. This was prior to training camp even starting and it looks as though my prediction has a solid chance of coming true. In fact, I hardly hear Wims name called any longer and I think it’s safe to say he should be shown the door. If Ridley keeps this up, he could push for playing time behind newcomers Damiere Byrd and Marquise Goodwin.

Chicago Bears, Kindle Vildor

Kindle Vildor has seen his stock soar at Chicago Bears camp

This one is great for Ryan Pace and the Chicago Bears. With the emergence of Kindle Vildor in the Bears headlines out of camp this season, it makes the move to allow Kyle Fuller to walk look at least a little more palatable. No, this does not mean I think the defense will be better without Fuller. Of course, I’d love to still see him in a Bears uniform. However, if Vildor can prove himself on gameday the way he seems to be shining in training camp, then the corner position could be saved.

With Fuller gone, Jaylon Johnson and Desmond Trufant’s injury history, and a lack of depth behind the two, cornerback was easily the weakest position heading into training camp. I will admit, I was not as confident as most in what Vildor could accomplish. I liked the tools of his skill set along with his size, but I struggled to get on board as quickly as others as I saw him struggle more often than not in 2020. He looked to improve versus the Saints in the Wild Card loss, but nothing special.

Now, everyone seems to think he’s going to beat out Trufant for the starting spot opposite Jaylon Johnson. Personally, I don’t think that happens. However, if Trufant has any setbacks due to an injury (has happened most of his career), then Vildor could be the guy to jump on the starting position.

With Desmond Trufant out, Kindle Vildor is getting a chance to step in. Made a nice play for a pass breakup intended for Marquise Goodwin. #Bears

Copy link to Tweet

Can the corner who allowed over 70 percent of his targets to be completed last season emerge as a legit starter in the NFL? We will have to see if his camp success transitions to the field on actual game days.

Chicago Bears, Alec Ogletree

Hard to believe, but Alec Ogletree has seen his stock rise drastically already

I was originally going to have Andy Dalton here (more on him later), but instead, I had to throw in a guy who has made the most of his opportunity in a very short amount of time. Alec Ogletree was signed by the Bears less than a week ago, yet he has been dominating on defense for Sean Desai.

#Bears LB Alec Ogletree just picked off his 6th pass since Thursday

Copy link to Tweet

Six interceptions. Yes, you read that right. Alec Ogletree — a linebacker — has six interceptions in less than a week at Chicago Bears training camp. How he does not make the final roster would be a surprise. Unfortunately, this means one or both of Josh Woods and Joel Iyiegbuniwe will be gone come August 31, 2021.

Ogletree has always had a nose for the football. He had a season where he recorded five interceptions for the Giants (2018) — exceptional for a linebacker. He has 12 total interceptions for his career. Could the veteran push Danny Trevathan for the starting spot next to Roquan Smith? This is one to keep an eye on as we approach September.

There are a few notable mentions with rising stock from Chicago Bears camp too

There are a few other names that have seen their stock increase, just not as much as the other four listed. This is a good thing, as the more positives we can discuss, the better this team will be when the regular season rolls around. Here are a few players who could have made this list and could be on the next one as training camp progresses.

Andy Dalton, QB

Andy Dalton would have been my fourth player had it not been for how well Alec Ogletree has played since being signed last Thursday. Dalton did not have high expectations from fans. This is why he is on this list and not Justin Fields. Dalton has been everything that Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace wanted from a veteran quarterback. He has made plenty of big throws and looks like the experienced quarterback the team needed last season.

Rodney Adams, WR

Not many people have heard of Rodney Adams. He was drafted by the Vikings in the fifth round of the 2017 NFL Draft, bounced around on the Vikings and Colts practice squads between 2017 and 2018, then decided to retire and pursue a career in acting. He was reinstated in 2020 and cut by the Colts. He signed with the Chicago Bears last August, but never saw the field.

Adams has looked great in camp — and not just because of Justin Fields. He could also be used in the return game.

Jon’Vea Johnson, WR

Another wide receiver worth mentioning is Jon’Vea Johnson. He has also impressed during camp, just not as much as Rodney Adams. Johnson has some decent speed to be a deep threat in the right situations. He might not make the Chicago Bears final roster, but if he shows his abilities in preseason he could stick around on the practice squad or be swooped up by another team. His quality camp is probably the most directly related to playing with Fields than the others mentioned.

Edited by soulman

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I said thought Jones would supplant DT if they weren't giving him the position permanently, with Ogletree I don't see how he keeps the job. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I said thought Jones would supplant DT if they weren't giving him the position permanently, with Ogletree I don't see how he keeps the job. 

Different skill set.  Jones can also rush from the edge so could conceivably be used as an OLB as well.  Jones cap hit is even less than Iggy's and Ogletree probably signed a similar deal  so the deciding factor may come down to STeams.  I know Jones played ST last time he was here.  I don't know about Ogletree but if he keeps picking off passes like he's been doing I don't think he'll need to worry about it. 

Desai will want him.

Edited by soulman

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Different skill set.  Jones can also rush from the edge so could conceivably be used as an OLB as well.  Jones cap hit is even less than Iggy's and Ogletree probably signed a similar deal  so the deciding factor may come down to STeams.  I know Jones played ST last time he was here.  I don't know about Ogletree but if he keeps picking off passes like he's been doing I don't think he'll need to worry about it. 

Desai will want him.

Right, I dont see Jones being booted before Woods or Iggy either. Position versatility is just too good at his contract.

My issue is that DT seems to have only one skill, not a set. He was ok vs the run but garbage vs the pass. Maybe he flops that and is actually going to rebound, but if not he wasn't good enough to warrant being so singular in his game. Brandon Spikes was able to be one dimensional because he was elite vs the run for years, Ogletree is just better and younger at this point. If it was 2018 DT then no way, but that DT is gone imo. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Right, I dont see Jones being booted before Woods or Iggy either. Position versatility is just too good at his contract.

My issue is that DT seems to have only one skill, not a set. He was ok vs the run but garbage vs the pass. Maybe he flops that and is actually going to rebound, but if not he wasn't good enough to warrant being so singular in his game. Brandon Spikes was able to be one dimensional because he was elite vs the run for years, Ogletree is just better and younger at this point. If it was 2018 DT then no way, but that DT is gone imo. 

Well Ogletree is only a year or two at most younger than DT and word on the street is DT has come to camp much better conditioned than he was last year, and he admits it.  Ogletree not only represents competition but starting potential on passing down should DT not be able to handle them and along with Jones the kind of experienced depth we had two years ago with Kwit and KP-L.

• Like 1

The Bears have activated three players off the reserve/COVID-19 list, Chicago announced on Monday.

Offensive lineman Elijah Wilkinson, linebacker Christian Jones, and long-snapper Patrick Scales have all come off the list.

All three were placed on COVID reserve last Tuesday.

Wilkinson signed a one-year deal with the Bears in March after spending his first four seasons with the Broncos. He’s appeared in 45 career games with 26 starts.

Jones is back with Chicago after three seasons in Detroit. He spent his first four seasons with the Bears after going undrafted out of Florida State.

Scales has been Chicago’s long snapper since 2015. He re-signed with the team in April.

The only remaining player on the Bears’ COVID-19 list is nose tackle Eddie Goldman.

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

The fact that Mantee Teo came off street for one game and started over Woods and Iggy and then got kicked right back to street pretty much tells you all you need to know about what Bears think of them.

That was humiliating for them.  

• Like 2