How much would you pay for the superbowl if it to went to pay-per-view?

August4th

21 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

What this thread has taught me is that a lot of you are either:

1. Liars

2. Tapped into the illegal streaming market. 

I’ll push back on this. The Super Bowl having a low barrier to entry is what makes it as popular as it is. A lot of people would pass if they had to pay and were casual or didn’t care about the match up. The more people pass, the less hype it actually has which depresses it even further. 

If I had to pay a standard ppv fight fee on KC vs SF two years ago, I probably pass unless someone is throwing a party I want to go to. It’s just not worth it to me for 3 hours of my time when I’m lukewarm on it. I’ll spend that on a fight but only if I’m super hyped about the match up. But I’m not paying out of obligation because I watch the sport.

Would be literally the single biggest mistake the NFL ever made if they did it.  It's practically a national holiday at this point.  It'd pay off for a few years but over the years people are going to care less and less and less.  They talk about "Protecting the Shield" when protecting the NFL brand, making the superbowl ppv would be like replacing that shield with paper mache.

I'm sorry why would I take anything thing guy says seriously? He did some deals for what?  The 7th most popular sports league in the U.S so he has an idea of how things work for by far the most popular league? I'm sorry but doing some deals for MLS does not mean you know squat about what the NFL revenue machine is like.

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, PGA, Nascar, hell even WWE... All more popular than MLS... But yeah I'm going to take this guy's word...

I wouldn't pay a lot.  If it was the price of pay per view boxing, there's a 0 percent chance that I'm doing that unless the Titans are in it.

I'd just patronize my local bar that has it and spend a fraction of that money on beer and wings.