Steelers WR James Washington Requests Trade

AFlaccoSeagulls

IMO, when JW was drafted the goal was for AB to be the X, JuJu to be Z/slot, and Washington would be Z in 3 wide sets. They all had incredibly complimentary skills. 

After AB went nuts, that completely changed the plans. We needed a more dynamic guy - enter Johnson at the X - but we relied more upon 3 guys winning separately rather that using ABs talents to draw defenses — enter, Claypool at the Z, a more dynamic player and skill set that washington. Nothing JW did or didn’t do lead to less snap, but the AB fallout and how it changed the way we play lead to us needing to change course  

You would be getting a good, not great player who’s best skill is downfield combat catch. In the right environment, he will be very good for you. I think he best suited as a stud 3, or a solid 2 next to a 1a guy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

IMO, when JW was drafted the goal was for AB to be the X, JuJu to be Z/slot, and Washington would be Z in 3 wide sets. They all had incredibly complimentary skills. 

After AB went nuts, that completely changed the plans. We needed a more dynamic guy - enter Johnson at the X - but we relied more upon 3 guys winning separately rather that using ABs talents to draw defenses — enter, Claypool at the Z, a more dynamic player and skill set that washington. Nothing JW did or didn’t do lead to less snap, but the AB fallout and how it changed the way we play lead to us needing to change course  

You would be getting a good, not great player who’s best skill is downfield combat catch. In the right environment, he will be very good for you. I think he best suited as a stud 3, or a solid 2 next to a 1a guy. 

Yeah, alot of people will write him off, but remember what happened with Emmanuel Sanders after leaving here, and Sanders had more opportunities to succeed in Pittsburgh.

Not that I expect Washington to have the same success as Sanders, but he could be a consistent 800-1100 yard, 5 TD guy IMO, especially with a decent QB, decent complimentary WR and an offensive coordinator that uses him the right way.    Hell, he put up over 700 yards in 2019 with Randy Fitchner as OC and Delvin Hodges and Mason Rudolph as his QBs.    

All things considered, I still think he is worth a 4th or early 5th.   If he had more than one year on his contract, I might even say a mid 3rd.

However, I am seeing reports that Washington did NOT request a trade.

They should though.      He isnt going to touch the ball much, barring injuries. 

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleBlueDon said:

So this was all BS?

I mean, it's unclear whether he requested a trade, but my guess would still be at the very least that his agent floated the idea around to attract trade offers. Washington may just have not put his name on the request.