Jaguars potentially “shopping” CB CJ Henderson

.Buzz

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He does the Locked On Jaguars podcast daily. Personally listen to it on Spotify.

Is it today’s episode, or the one yesterday about CJ?

I would 100% take MT in a trade. He’d be a perfect security blanket for any young QB, particularly as this team doesn’t really have a TE or anyone that’s really shown they can effectively get separation in those short yardage throws.

24 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Because it's completely normal for two coaches to show up to a players place to have a conversation?

The good news is the 3 days after that meeting things seem largely normal/in good standing.

Both Urban and Strong came from the college game so not shocked they did something a bit unorthodox. Definitely didn’t sound great initially though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Because it's completely normal for two coaches to show up to a players place to have a conversation?

Certainly not normal. But who knows what was going on to get to that point.

It sounds like he might have been having a mental health crisis and disconnecting himself from everyone, so sometimes showing up and pounding on the door until the person let’s you in is the only thing you can do. Whatever they did discuss, it looks like at least in the short term, it’s got him refocused.

Hopefully whatever it was, he can fully put it behind him. And if it’s something he needs help with, hopefully he is getting that help and continues to do so. 

It’s nice to see that all the big talk about family and having each other’s back apparently isn’t just some bs mantra, and Urban is actually willing to do that when things like this come up. 

Normally when a player stops talking to the team for whatever reason, you just hear the coach say “I haven’t talked to him” and then you get a situation like with Mike Thomas in NO where the player disconnects and the organization goes months without hearing back and just doesn’t do anything about it. Seeing the opposite, even in a largely different situation is nice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

The good news is the 3 days after that meeting things seem largely normal/in good standing.

Both Urban and Strong came from the college game so not shocked they did something a bit unorthodox. Definitely didn’t sound great initially though.

Hey whatever works. Hopefully Henderson can get his life back on track...mutually beneficial for all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I feel like expecting “completely normal” from Urban Meyer and his staff as coaches, is erroneous. He’s still clearly got a lot of that “college coach” mentality in him. For better or worse. And this story seems like an example of a potentially strength of that approach. 

What any of that means long term? Who knows. But it does seem like whatever the disconnect was here, showing up and working through it personally, worked in the short term. That’s going to be the strength of any successful Urban Meyer college to nfl transition. Being able to sustain the sort of personal connections that made him a college powerhouse. So...idk. 

On 8/12/2021 at 10:05 PM, Tugboat said:

I feel like expecting “completely normal” from Urban Meyer and his staff as coaches, is erroneous. He’s still clearly got a lot of that “college coach” mentality in him. For better or worse. And this story seems like an example of a potentially strength of that approach. 

What any of that means long term? Who knows. But it does seem like whatever the disconnect was here, showing up and working through it personally, worked in the short term. That’s going to be the strength of any successful Urban Meyer college to nfl transition. Being able to sustain the sort of personal connections that made him a college powerhouse. So...idk. 

It's sure a lot better than the way things unfolded with Carson Wentz and the coaching staff in Philadelphia last year.  I read that Wentz had gone for weeks without even speaking to the head coach.  Now he is on another team.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

It's sure a lot better than the way things unfolded with Carson Wentz and the coaching staff in Philadelphia last year.  I read that Wentz had gone for weeks without even speaking to the head coach.  Now he is on another team.

Yeah. I think the era of coaches being completely aloof and detached from players is done and gone. I don’t know how far in the other direction it needs to go, but whatever the case...I think it’s reasonable to expect Urban is probably going to end up on the far end of that extreme. We’ll find out how it works...but it’s hard to be worse than dysfunctional disconnects between players and coaches/staff.