Preseason WK1: Washington @ New England

turtle28

18 hours ago, lavar703 said:

This has to be weird for a guy like Lamar Miller. From being highly paid to playing the last seconds of a preseason game. 

I was thinking the same thing man and I can’t see him making this team. Our top 3 RBs roles are carved out and Patterson is looking good as a rookie. Hopefully in the 3rd game Miller gets some run, plays well and then a team picks him up as a back up but I can’t see him being on our roster. 

Edited by turtle28

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Stevenson was a monster at Oklahoma. Would’ve loved to pick him with one of our thirds. 

To me Stevenson is not a good fit in our offense. He is more of a power O RB. At Oklahoma we ran the Joe Gibbs version of the counter trey and Stevenson was devastating. Turner likes getting the ball to his running backs out of the backfield. Stevenson is more of bully brusier battering ram kind of back. Has good burst hitting the hole but doesn't have that 2nd gear. Kind of surprise he had enough speed to hit the corner and went 91 yds for a TD though. Don't get me wrong I like Stevenson  but he will have hand full with Damien Harris but could get a shot if Harris goes down.

2 hours ago, 4209 said:

Watched some of the game again and Taylor is going to be what he is. He has the ability to extend the play. 

I love Taylor and his ability to extend the play but, it’s pretty clear that Fitz is better at straight up operating the offense. Taylor is a great back up to have, but he doesn’t always operate the best from inside the pocket.

For example, it was just one play - but I’m sure there were others - where Theismann pointed out that Heinicke missed the TE for a TD right away after the ball was snapped. Instead he held onto the ball for a tick too long, didn’t let it lose for the TD and then the LBs/SS had covered the TE. 

You hate to say bc everyone loves Heinicke but those are the passes & things you have to hit and can’t miss if you’re going to be an NFL starter. Things like that are the difference between a back up and a starter in the NFL.

• Like 1

BMitch had a great point after the game, he said that Patterson needs to hit the jugs machine at practice to work on punt returns  & he needs to ask if he can learn punt returns. BMitch’s point was that if Patterson  wants to stick in the league - like he, Sproles, Cartwight and others did/have as small backs - he’s going to have to be a return man and a good special teams guy.

BMitch said that was Marcus Mason’s downfall, Mason never worked hard enough or didn’t develop into a special teams guy and that’s why he didn’t stick in the league.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Game Manager !!!!!!

Nah, he’s going to be more than that. He may never be elite, but Mac Jones has top 15 QB written all over him to me. He processes things fast, gets the ball out quick to allow his playmakers to make plays and is accurate. That’s how you move the chains and move the ball consistently down the field.

He’ll likely never be a top 5 QB in the league but if the Pats develop a great running game w/ Harris & Michel & Belicheck continues to develop top 10 defenses, Mac Jones could be a QB that has them winning playoff games after a few years of development.

I 100% would love to have him on our football team right now. 

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I thought Montez showed fortitude. Got more relaxed as the game moved on . It's his first ever pro experience. I was happy he got on the field ! If 3 QBs get Covid-He's our guy!

Not so sure, last year we were down to Montez & signing Heinicke off the street snd they went with Heinicke for obvious reasons. I’m still shocked they didn’t keep Jordan Ta’amu around. He was pretty good in the XFL and started over Heinicke, I can’t imagine Montez looking better then Ta’amu in practice. 

A caller on Grant & Danny had a good point about the Patriots kicker Nordin, Cheesman was his long snapper last year at Michigan. If Nordin is cut in New England, reuniting those two could be good.

I guess Rivera or someone mentioned how Cheeseman snaps a rocket and it’s harder than how fast Sundberg used to snap and that is what’s causing the timing to be off at this point w/ Hopkins. It’ll definitely be something to watch next game.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

A caller on Grant & Danny had a good point about the Patriots kicker Nordin, Cheesman was his long snapper last year at Michigan. If Nordin is cut in New England, reuniting those two could be good.

I guess Rivera or someone mentioned how Cheeseman snaps a rocket and it’s harder than how fast Sundberg used to snap and that is what’s causing the timing to be off at this point w/ Hopkins. It’ll definitely be something to watch next game.

I mean hell, what have they been doing all training camp? That's actually kind of a lame excuse.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I mean hell, what have they been doing all training camp? That's actually kind of a lame excuse.

No pressure during practice. Grant was saying when you watch DHop in practice he’s really impressive and if they brought in another kicker to compete that bc of how impressive DHop’s leg is and how the ball explodes off his foot that it wouldn’t even seem like a competition.