Preseason WK1: Washington @ New England

turtle28

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No pressure during practice. Grant was saying when you watch DHop in practice he’s really impressive and if they brought in another kicker to compete that bc of how impressive DHop’s leg is and how the ball explodes off his foot that it wouldn’t even seem like a competition. 

If he can't handle the pressure of a game, he shouldn't be here.

edit: a PRESEASON game

10 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

If he can't handle the pressure of a game, he shouldn't be here.

edit: a PRESEASON game

I think it’s pretty clear it was a timing thing. They were immediately talking about it after the missed FG and Rivera mentioned it in his press conference. If it continues then it will become more of an issue and they’ll have to do something but at this point I don’t expect even a kicker to come in an compete with Hop, I wish they would but I don’t expect it.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think it’s pretty clear it was a timing thing. They were immediately talking about it after the missed FG and Rivera mentioned it in his press conference. If it continues then it will become more of an issue and they’ll have to do something but at this point I don’t expect even a kicker to come in an compete with Hop, I wish they would but I don’t expect it.

I think the Cheese has much more ZIP than Sundberg -the ball is getting to Way a split second faster . Yes, it could very well be the timing. I hope it gets worked out quickly !

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Looked great in the run game, although it’s always a little tricky to evaluate when you don’t know the assignments, etc. He was moving bodies though, which honestly you didn’t see consistently on the film from UT. Best I’ve seen him as a drive blocker. 

I’m still not sold on him in pass pro though. He wasn’t facing anything close to premier pass rushers there (Deatrich Wise, Henry Anderson, Kyle Van Noy are the ones I saw), but I still thought they were giving him a little trouble with speed to power and pretty straightforward stuff. He has a tendency to lunge and get off balance a little too instead of just riding and anchoring. 

That said, based on what we’d been hearing coming out of camp, I’d say overall it was a pleasantly solid performance, especially in the run game.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Well I know that Hopkins also has a long history of missing fields goals so I am not letting him off the hook.

But if the issue is on Cheesman or the operation in general, then they need to get their act together.  The field goal operation is one of the things that is super easy to practice over and over and over.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Hopkins isn't going anywhere.

I tend to agree. At least he won’t go anywhere now, if his issues continue they may have to make a change but, if Hop out kicks everyone in practice - as Grant it says he always does - it seems like it’s going to be hard to replace Hop.

On 8/13/2021 at 6:02 PM, turtle28 said:

A caller on Grant & Danny had a good point about the Patriots kicker Nordin, Cheesman was his long snapper last year at Michigan. If Nordin is cut in New England, reuniting those two could be good.

Just to update the Nordin situation, he’s missed a 36-yarder and another extra point so far tonight. 

This is basically the point I’ve always been trying to make with Hopkins — it’s not that he’s great, it’s just that he’s better than most random Joes off the street. If you have a specific guy you really want more than him, absolutely, cut him loose. But just saying “cut Hopkins” and figuring you’ll bring in a bunch of random guys for a tryout and end up with someone more reliable than him, that’s not how it usually ends up working. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Just to update the Nordin situation, he’s missed a 36-yarder and another extra point so far tonight. 

This is basically the point I’ve always been trying to make with Hopkins — it’s not that he’s great, it’s just that he’s better than most random Joes off the street. If you have a specific guy you really want more than him, absolutely, cut him loose. But just saying “cut Hopkins” and figuring you’ll bring in a bunch of random guys for a tryout and end up with someone more reliable than him, that’s not how it usually ends up working. 

Yes but it is cathartic to scream Cut Hopkins (*)

(*) even though most average joes off the street aren't as good. 

Still we could find the next David Akers (**)

(**) whom we also had at one time.

48 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes but it is cathartic to scream Cut Hopkins (*)

(*) even though most average joes off the street aren't as good. 

Still we could find the next David Akers (**)

(**) whom we also had at one time.

This really is the crazy thing. That we have somehow never stumbled into a reliable long-term kicker in decades. I think it’s a curse for having Mark Moseley be the most ludicrous MVP in football history. I’m only partly kidding about that. 

Yes, we had Chip Lohmiller for 6 or 7 seasons after that. But honestly, though I remember him from my very young days as being a good kicker, he wasn’t really that great. Actually rather Hopkins-like, somewhere around 20th-best in the league most years. Kai Forbath was probably the best kicker we’ve had since Moseley, and after him you’ve got Lohmiller, John Hall, Suisham, and Hopkins duking it out for next best. In almost 40 years!

I think there’d have to be absolutely no doubt that we’ve had the worst kicking in the NFL since Moseley won the MVP. Coincidence? How could it be...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This really is the crazy thing. That we have somehow never stumbled into a reliable long-term kicker in decades. I think it’s a curse for having Mark Moseley be the most ludicrous MVP in football history. I’m only partly kidding about that. 

Yes, we had Chip Lohmiller for 6 or 7 seasons after that. But honestly, though I remember him from my very young days as being a good kicker, he wasn’t really that great. Actually rather Hopkins-like, somewhere around 20th-best in the league most years. Kai Forbath was probably the best kicker we’ve had since Moseley, and after him you’ve got Lohmiller, John Hall, Suisham, and Hopkins duking it out for next best. In almost 40 years!

I think there’d have to be absolutely no doubt that we’ve had the worst kicking in the NFL since Moseley won the MVP. Coincidence? How could it be...

Same for drafting 1st round WRs after Monk. 

We have a habit of letting HOF-level (or perennial All-Pro)  talent walk out our building while we try to hang onto the guys we know. So that is the other side of the coin about keeping Hop and not taking a chance on another guy.

At one time, IIRC we had the following on our roster (not same year mind you)

Keenan McCardell

David Akers

Nate Newton

Trent Green

et al (*)

(*) who else? My brain is fuzzy after a long day.

• Like 1

We had oh NO Gano ! He 's had a decent career. IDK, seems to me the league and us have been average. Maybe we're a tad below the avg. There aren't many teams that have the same kicker for years . Guess I'd need to do some research . 

David Akers hurt. I think he dislocated his ankle and we cut him then he killed us for years .

• Like 2

On 8/19/2021 at 10:26 PM, e16bball said:

My man Cobra 🐍 Kai! Definitely an accurate kicker, he just didn’t have the bug leg.