Vegas wanted Mack back

beardown3231

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Well, if you think he's untradeable, that's fine. 

Two first rounders and cap relief would make up for that sentiment, with me. But it's not gonna happen...so it's all merely a thought experiment. 

No one is untradeable I just wouldn't trade him is all.  Would you have traded Richard Dent or Dan Hampton or Brian Urlacher?  That's kind of impact player Mack is.  And screw the "cap relief".  We have a new QB playing on his rookie contract for 5 years.  We'll have more than enough cap room for Mack.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Would you have traded Richard Dent or Dan Hampton or Brian Urlacher? 

None of them saw the drop-off in productivity that Mack has recently...until the very end of their careers. There were games last season that Mack was a ghost. 

So...it's not really a fair question, to be honest. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

None of them saw the drop-off in productivity that Mack has recently...until the very end of their careers. There were games last season that Mack was a ghost. 

IDK about Dent but Urlacher literally got to play in the middle of the field. He had bad games too and sometimes his tackles looked better because of have 4-5 extra completions he allowed (which also meant more first downs to track). Its all part of the game. Mack was great vs the run and still was a damn good passrusher. 9 sacks, 3 FFs, 2 FRs, 11 TFL and an INT, etc. Offenses attacked away from him way more than they could do with Urlacher. Hopefully Desai isn't Pagano 2.0 and just lets him pin his ears back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Then your memories are much different than mine brother.  They all had off games and off years.

We should also realize Mack was playing through injuries much of last season and still a force while his supposed sidekick Robert Quinn was the one who was a ghost.  So I can only reinforce what I've said.  I would not trade Khalil Mack for love nor money.  IMHO that would be as terrible idea simply because longer term we're not hurting for cap space and two mid to late round 1st round picks are not the equal of one Khalil Mack.

Can you name even one Bears mid 1st round pick the Bears have made in the last decade who has been the equivalent of Mack?  The best we've done is Kyle Fuller and maybe the most problematic was Kyle Long.   Another very good OL whose career was shortened by injuries.  Despite what some may interpret as a drop off in production he still remains one of the most feared and respected OLB in the NFL.  Sorry, no deal.  

15 hours ago, soulman said:

No one is untradeable I just wouldn't trade him is all.  Would you have traded Richard Dent or Dan Hampton or Brian Urlacher?  That's kind of impact player Mack is.  And screw the "cap relief".  We have a new QB playing on his rookie contract for 5 years.  We'll have more than enough cap room for Mack.

I would have traded Dent, Hampton or Urlacher in a NY minute for right offer.  

Only guy I can think of in history of Chicago team sports (since I have been watching) I wouldn’t trade is Michael Jordan.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I would have traded Dent, Hampton or Urlacher in a NY minute for right offer.  

Only guy I can think of in history of Chicago team sports (since I have been watching) I wouldn’t trade is Michael Jordan.

OK, you would but I would not.  Here's why.

In that one player you know precisely what you have and what you don't.  If you're smart you've built your offense or defense around that player much like Lovie did with Urlacher.  Your chances of drafting another player with the exact same skill set is small and is further frustrated by the unknown of where you'll be drafting with the picks you received.  Yeah, you might use a second first rounder to trade up but what are the chances that would land you another Brian Urlacher?  You have to admit, he was a pretty unique MLB.  So you may end up changing your entire scheme.

The same would have been true with that DL the Bears sported in the '80s.  Two are HOF'ers and a third (Mongo) should be.  Mikey allowed Wilbur Marshall to leave in FA.  We got two 1st round picks for him.  Did we ever replace Marshall with another OLB who was as good?  Nope.  Would we have won more Super Bowls in the '80s if we'd have trade Hampton, Dent and McMichaels?  Or Wilson and Singletary?  How 'but Payton?  The only way trading any of them would have benefited us if if we got Joe Montana or another HOF QB in trade and that wasn't gonna happen.

How easily will it be for GB to replace Aaron Rodgers in kind?  No matter what kind of trade booty they receive the chances they'll be able to draft another QB who can do what he's been able to are virtually non-existent and even if one could have been found he wouldn't take them where they're planning to go now.  So IMHO offloading your top vet talent is what you do when you're planning a wholesale rebuilding process much like the Cubs are doing and have done this year.  You don't do it when you feel you're still in a window that could bring you a championship.

So.....are the Bears looking to do a full on rebuild or are they still looking to compete for a Super Bowl appearance and a win at that level?