•• 2022 Draft Prospects ••

WizardHawk

Disclaimer before I get to my actual post: I am quite content with our draft class.

That said...

Does it trouble anyone else that the staff seemed to go into this draft saying "We need one of these, so take whatevers left from the top right now." Like, kind of forcing the need picks instead of just being cool with picking the better players and, if need be, filling the shallow points on thr depth chart with the late picks or udfas?

Last time i felt this way, that they kind of forced the need selections early, well....most od that class was gone in 3 years or less.

21 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I’m fine with need playing a factor in who you’ll take. I just will never understand why they go into draft day with a board that doesn’t reflect that preference. You have a year to stack the board, but let’s have a BPA debate when 15 minutes are on the clock.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

13 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’m fine with need playing a factor in who you’ll take. I just will never understand why they go into draft day with a board that doesn’t reflect that preference. You have a year to stack the board, but let’s have a BPA debate when 15 minutes are on the clock.

It’s a good point.

Takeaways for me were:

1. We know they had 14-16 players ranked as 1st rounders. Does that mean Smith and Cine made the cut?

2. Nice to see a S make it that high on their board. Means they likely had 2 S, 2 CB, 4 DL, 3 WR, 5 OL in the top 16.

3. I’m shocked that JJ (DE) didn’t grade out higher. 

10 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

It’s a good point.

Takeaways for me were:

1. We know they had 14-16 players ranked as 1st rounders. Does that mean Smith and Cine made the cut?

2. Nice to see a S make it that high on their board. Means they likely had 2 S, 2 CB, 4 DL, 3 WR, 5 OL in the top 16.

3. I’m shocked that JJ (DE) didn’t grade out higher. 

1) When pressed, Stephen confirmed 14 first round grades. So no.

2) 4 DL, 0/1 S, 4/5 WR, 2 CB, 3/4 OL. Only one of Hamilton, Penning, Burks fit in round 1.

3) Me too. Honestly wonder if they preferred De Williams to him straight up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

1) When pressed, Stephen confirmed 14 first round grades. So no.

2) 4 DL, 0/1 S, 4/5 WR, 2 CB, 3/4 OL. Only one of Hamilton, Penning, Burks fit in round 1.

3) Me too. Honestly wonder if they preferred De Williams to him straight up.

I think there may have been something else with Johnson. Maybe a failed drug test at the combine?

5 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

5 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Thats not how McClay makes the board though. There are 3 layers.

1. Vertical - which is a basic 1, 2, 3, etc

2.. Horizontal - Based on rounds. So we make have 15 people round 1 and 45 people round 2.

3. Color coded. A green player at 16 could be taken over a red player at 15. That color coding is just as important, if not even more important, than if a player is ranked 15 v 16. The color code is based on team needs/fit, injury history, off field issues, etc

A good example of this as last year Trevor Lawrence could have been 1.1.Red on our board. Great player who we would have no interest in drafting.  

50 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

This seems unlikely but interesting. 

I also am a closet Titans fan and was extremely critical of Titans giving up a 5th round pick to move past AZ and Dallas to get Willis. It just seemed in my mind ZERO chance Arizona or Dallas would draft Willis

2 minutes ago, quiller said:

I also am a closet Titans fan and was extremely critical of Titans giving up a 5th round pick to move past AZ and Dallas to get Willis. It just seemed in my mind ZERO chance Arizona or Dallas would draft Willis

I question how much time Dallas spent evaluating Willis. But, frankly, I am on team draft a QB every year and see if anyone sticks. At best you have your future, in a good world you have a trade asset, and at worst you are in the same spot you were before. 

But, I agree. I doubt Dallas would have pulled the trigger. I hope they would have at least considered it, though.

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats not how McClay makes the board though. There are 3 layers.

1. Vertical - which is a basic 1, 2, 3, etc

2.. Horizontal - Based on rounds. So we make have 15 people round 1 and 45 people round 2.

3. Color coded. A green player at 16 could be taken over a red player at 15. That color coding is just as important, if not even more important, than if a player is ranked 15 v 16. The color code is based on team needs/fit, injury history, off field issues, etc

A good example of this as last year Trevor Lawrence could have been 1.1.Red on our board. Great player who we would have no interest in drafting.  

I’d love a walkthrough of the process, because I still don’t get how it simplifies the process to stack guys in a different order than you’d actually take them. Like, how much higher does a red player need to be for us to take him over a green? One spot isn’t enough. 5? 10? 32? It seems like it opens you up to debates while you are on the clock, that should have been worked out through scenario planning beforehand. It’s how you end up with Sharif Floyd war room disagreements and Jerry trying to argue for Johnny Football at the last second.

Feels like the Michael Scott draft board.“Green means go, so you know to go ahead and not draft him. Orange means, orange you glad you didn’t draft that player.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quiller said:

No chance Dallas was taking him. Ian is such a hack sometimes.

Tennessee traded up to prevent someone from jumping them. Smart move.

29 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’d love a walkthrough of the process, because I still don’t get how it simplifies the process to stack guys in a different order than you’d actually take them. Like, how much higher does a red player need to be for us to take him over a green? One spot isn’t enough. 5? 10? 32? It seems like it opens you up to debates while you are on the clock, that should have been worked out through scenario planning beforehand. It’s how you end up with Sharif Floyd war room disagreements and Jerry trying to argue for Johnny Football at the last second.

Feels like the Michael Scott draft board.“Green means go, so you know to go ahead and not draft him. Orange means, orange you glad you didn’t draft that player.”

Whatever it is, it works. I think its also how we end up the post draft comments that Sean Lee was actually higher rated than Dez Bryant. Lee was probably a yellow while Dez a green.

54 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Whatever it is, it works. I think its also how we end up the post draft comments that Sean Lee was actually higher rated than Dez Bryant. Lee was probably a yellow while Dez a green.

The 2010 board was leaked, but Dez was 12, Lee 14.

They’ve certainly had good outcomes with the draft, but that doesn’t mean their process is flawless. I’d love to ask Will McClay to explain why they stack it this way, and why he thinks it’s the best way to have good draft day outcomes.