•• 2022 Draft Prospects ••

WizardHawk

14 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

The 2010 board was leaked, but Dez was 12, Lee 14.

They’ve certainly had good outcomes with the draft, but that doesn’t mean their process is flawless. I’d love to ask Will McClay to explain why they stack it this way, and why he thinks it’s the best way to have good draft day outcomes.

My memory is fuzzy on some of these, but I think they also at one point claimed RG was a top 5 player on our board and he went second round. 

I dunno - I just know it works. No team drafts perfect, but we draft better than almost every team in the NFL.

11 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

My memory is fuzzy on some of these, but I think they also at one point claimed RG was a top 5 player on our board and he went second round. 

I dunno - I just know it works. No team drafts perfect, but we draft better than almost every team in the NFL.

I understand that they would have done that with Randy. But I also imagine the leads to the possibility of sitting there in the second round and Jerry is yeehawing while the scouts in the room are a lot less confident we should pick him.

Just because we’ve had good outcomes, doesn’t mean the process is perfect. 

18 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Jason Witten was a top 10 player on their board and he fell to the third round, and had a hall of fame career. Sometimes a scouting crew sees something in a guy 31 other crews dont see. Be it a scheme fit thing, or something they heard in a meeting with the player, or just a trait they saw one time and said "Hey, if we can get him to do that again..."

Other times, its as simple as teams needing other positions or other styles of that same position, allowing the clearly better talent keep on sliding.

I never had the priviledge to work for an NFL team. But when I was a graduate assistant I was privy to some NFL scouting crew discussions, and some overall chatter from scout to scout. Lets just say two scouts of the same crew can have vastly different opinions, let alone two scouts from two very different organizations. One mans gold is another mans 5th round pick.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

2 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Jason Witten was a top 10 player on their board and he fell to the third round, and had a hall of fame career. Sometimes a scouting crew sees something in a guy 31 other crews dont see. Be it a scheme fit thing, or something they heard in a meeting with the player, or just a trait they saw one time and said "Hey, if we can get him to do that again..."

Other times, its as simple as teams needing other positions or other styles of that same position, allowing the clearly better talent keep on sliding.

I never had the priviledge to work for an NFL team. But when I was a graduate assistant I was privy to some NFL scouting crew discussions, and some overall chatter from scout to scout. Lets just say two scouts of the same crew can have vastly different opinions, let alone two scouts from two very different organizations. One mans gold is another mans 5th round pick.

Understand all of this. But none of this is an answer to why the board is not stacked to order of preference for draft day.

10 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

They said they preferred Smith to Zion and Kenyon, this seems to confirm that. Cine first round grade is interesting. Giants getting our top-2 grades is not amazing. Also, doesn’t seem like there was any scenario where we’d have taken Burks.

Also a team notoriously low on safety had a pair of first rd grades. Encouraging to a degree.

I recall SJ saying something to the effect that they had 14-16 first rd grades. I’m guessing the separation after Jameson Williams means that Olave and Smith had graded as 2nds they would be most comfortable drafting at 24?

Edited by WizardHawk

3 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Also a team notoriously low on safety had a pair of first rd grades. Encouraging to a degree.

I recall SJ saying something to the effect that they had 14-16 first rd grades. I’m guessing the separation after Jameson Williams means that Olave and Smith had graded as 2nds they would be most comfortable drafting at 24?

Stephen Jones had later confirmed it was 14 first round grades. So yes, Olave and Tyler Smith were at the top of the 2nd round.

The Athletic confirmed that first round, and was also able to decipher the top 20 of 25 names in the 2nd round:

-Olave
-Smith   
-Lloyd   
-Hill   
-B Hall   
-Green   
-Karlaftis   
-Z Johnson   
-Burks   
-Gordon   
-Linderbaum   
-Ojabo   
-Dotson   
-J Johnson   
-Elam   
-Ebiketie   
-McDuffie   
-Walker   
-Wyatt   
-L Hall

Jermaine Johnson was never going to be the pick. We should have never worried about a trade up for Penning of taking Raimann. I wonder if we’d have taken Ojabo or Kyler Gordon over De Williams… I’m not sure.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

43 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

The Athletic confirmed that first round, and was also able to decipher the top 20 of 25 names in the 2nd round:

-Olave
-Smith   
-Lloyd   
-Hill   
-B Hall   
-Green   
-Karlaftis   
-Z Johnson   
-Burks   
-Gordon   
-Linderbaum   
-Ojabo   
-Dotson   
-J Johnson   
-Elam   
-Ebiketie   
-McDuffie   
-Walker   
-Wyatt   
-L Hall

Jermaine Johnson was never going to be the pick. We should have never worried about a trade up for Penning of taking Raimann. I wonder if we’d have taken Ojabo or Kyler Gordon over De Williams… I’m not sure.

So we had either a late second or maybe 3rd round grade on Williams? 

I guess it would still be top 40ish. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Williams? Jameson Williams? He was last rd 1 grade.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’m surprised Johnson was this low. Athletic traits and production were there. Seemed like a guy FO would have definitely been keen on. 
I assume Penning’s recklessness and penalties must have played a role. 
Raimann I was never really worried about. Never seen team taking him serious given his age and inexperience.

I’m curious where team had Dean ranked.

Edit: I wonder if SJ and WM conveniently “forget” to give Jerry the BB sheet from here on out.  😂 

Edited by WizardHawk

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I think De Williams is name #23 in the second round (so #37 overall). Hard to tell for sure. If not, I’m sure he’s at the top of the next page. In either case, that’s lower than I would have guessed.

6 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I assume Penning’s recklessness and penalties must have played a role. 

Bobby Belt was pretty confident we loved Penning and were thinking about trading up for him. I always found that really surprising. 

Raimann I was never really worried about. Never seen team taking him serious given his age and inexperience.

I wish I had that confidence pre-draft. They showed a *ton* of interest. Top-30 visit, pro day, formal interview at the combine. I was very worried he might be our wipeout candidate.

I’m curious where team had Dean ranked.

This one is interesting. They don’t move players down the board for medical reasons. They simply add a medical tag to their name. So that tells me they just really didn’t think highly of him as a player at all.

• 5 months later...