Rivera disappointed in the defense & thinks Chase Young is pressing

turtle28

36 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Chase Young had the second most pass rush wins last week of anyone behind only Micah Parsons.

It's not always the box score stats.

Thanks you, where do we find that stat? Pro football outsiders or something?

And, his pass rush wins make the QB step up in the pocket and into the arms of Jon Allen, which helps Allen have 2 sacks.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Chase Young had the second most pass rush wins last week of anyone behind only Micah Parsons.

It's not always the box score stats.

True. And that's also something to watch out for. Still, I didn't see him as our best defender on the field and I should given his talent. But he is making a difference. I just don't know if it is "generational talent" difference or not right now. 

Don't get me wrong. I think he is that talent and I think he will have a great year. I'm just not overwhelmed by his play this year...yet.

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

True. And that's also something to watch out for. Still, I didn't see him as our best defender on the field and I should given his talent. But he is making a difference. I just don't know if it is "generational talent" difference or not right now. 

Don't get me wrong. I think he is that talent and I think he will have a great year. I'm just not overwhelmed by his play this year...yet.

When I think about it most Edge Rushers don’t enter the league & have double digit sacks. Take Montez Sweat for example, 7 sacks as a rookie, 9 his sophomore year in large part thanks to the attention that Chase got by blocking schemes opposite him. 

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Based upon expectations? Yeah. I expected at least 2,5 more sacks last year. But I also understand he was doubled and tripled a lot of that time which opened up others to "eat". I was satisfied with his rookie performance even if the stats didn't show how dominant he was.

Having the same thing happen this year, which should be setting up others to do the same. But right now, they haven't. What we've seen is the two teams go with more of a quick pass game which tends to neutralize the pass rush. Which means the stats aren't gonna pop out at you.

Now...is that an excuse?

Nope. You're right. I expect my #2 pick who is a "generational talent" to overcome the teams' game plan for him. For example, Aaron Donald is game-planned each week and he still delivers. You very rarely see a game where he is not a dominant force and you know he is the best player on the field. 

Can Chase do the same? I think he can. I think he is that generational talent that was promised. Maybe not on par with Donald but I do think he is in the same cohort (which is a wide block of talents). But he has to find a way to deliver more on the field than he has this year so far.

I believe he can. But I'm also not making excuses for anyone on the team. They simply need to produce. One of the things that our organization and fanbase has done the last 30 years is to find new excuses and exempt players from being held accountable for underperformance or poor play. I'm going to try not to do that going forward.

Aaron Donald had 9 sacks as a rookie, was anyone calling him a bust?

Oh, probably not bc he wasn’t drafted in the top 5.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

It's like Maryland (*) this is what we do.

(*) Crabcakes and "Left Lane-ing" <--- that's what Maryland does!

No offense, but this is also a Virginia area problem as someone who drives 5 days a week from Gaithersburg to Triangle, VA, I can tell you that a lot of drivers in the DMV drive below the speed limit in the left lane. Doesn’t matter where you are, there are bad drivers all over!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Aaron Donald had 9 sacks as a rookie, was anyone calling him a bust?

Oh, probably not bc he wasn’t drafted in the top 5.

That's 1.5 more than Young got his rookie season and Donald is a DT. DT's aren't known for sack totals relative to their outside rushing counterparts. 

But he was the 13th pick. 9 sacks from a DT from the #13th pick is a pretty good rookie season.

But I think I need to point something out that you're probably missing:

I don't think anyone is calling Chase a bust here. I think people can see the talent that he possesses and root for him. But is he giving us generational talent so far this year? I dunno. I don't think he's playing up to what he showed me in the middle to later parts of last year. And while that is mildly concerning, I think he will get there. Still, I can't help but see that he's not showing up as the most dominant force on the defense these last two weeks. Now, could that be because the other teams have gameplanned him? Sure. But like I said, true generational talents overcome that. LT did. Quite a few others did. I think Chase can too. He flashed it last year. Just hasn't done the same so far in his 2nd season. I'm looking forward to the final 15 games because I think he can show it this year and stop the ridiculous clickbait articles from being written.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No offense, but this is also a Virginia area problem as someone who drives 5 days a week from Gaithersburg to Triangle, VA, I can tell you that a lot of drivers in the DMV drive below the speed limit in the left lane. Doesn’t matter where you are, there are bad drivers all over!

From my perspective, it's a VA area problem due to MD/DC drivers (or their transplants). Turtle I drive quite a bit in MD and it's almost a given when I get into MD, I am sitting behind some yahoo doing the speed limit (or just below it) on I-70 in the left lane and screwing everyone's commute up. When I'm headed home on Rte 7 and the left lane is slow, it's either a MD driver or someone with the "Student Driver" tag on their vehicle. When I'm on 495 in the outer lanes (not the HOT lanes) the left lane, in non-rush hour, is usually blocked up by someone with darned crab on their license plate just having a grand old time doing 50-55mph in the far left lane. It's gotten so bad that my daughter (who turns 10 in a few weeks) will look as we finally pass them and see the plates and say "of course, they are from Maryland." I very rarely encounter a MD driver who actually has somewhere to be. I'm sure they are out there, and I'm sure you're one of the ones who drives like a normal person. I just know that when I encounter a moving roadblock in the left lane, I'm gonna see a MD license plate when I finally pass them.

But back to the post.

Hopefully Young can turn on the jets and dominate the next few weeks. I'd love to see him come away with 4 or 5 sacks in the next 6 weeks.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

When I think about it most Edge Rushers don’t enter the league & have double digit sacks. Take Montez Sweat for example, 7 sacks as a rookie, 9 his sophomore year in large part thanks to the attention that Chase got by blocking schemes opposite him. 

Sweat wasn't billed as a generational talent. And 9 sacks because of the attention to Chase is what I was talking about when I said that Chase doing what he does, frees up others to "Eat". 

I don't want you to misunderstand what I'm saying here.

I love Chase on our team. I think he's a great talent. Pro Bowl worthy, etc... I think he's a disruptive force that causes DC's to have to gameplan against him. Last year, he was pretty phenomenal in quite a few games.

Right now, this year I don't think he's producing at the level he is capable of (and his coach agrees with that statement). 

Now, a lot of that must fall at Chase's feet. But I think some of it is Del Rio's fault in how he is scheming up things. Either way, I'm not saying he's a bust (far from it), but I'm also saying that I'm not seeing "generational talent" yet either. I think he'll get there. I also think that we don't need to be making excuses for him. He either shows it on the field or he doesn't.

11 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

From my perspective, it's a VA area problem due to MD/DC drivers (or their transplants). Turtle I drive quite a bit in MD and it's almost a given when I get into MD, I am sitting behind some yahoo doing the speed limit (or just below it) on I-70 in the left lane and screwing everyone's commute up. When I'm headed home on Rte 7 and the left lane is slow, it's either a MD driver or someone with the "Student Driver" tag on their vehicle. When I'm on 495 in the outer lanes (not the HOT lanes) the left lane, in non-rush hour, is usually blocked up by someone with darned crab on their license plate just having a grand old time doing 50-55mph in the far left lane. It's gotten so bad that my daughter (who turns 10 in a few weeks) will look as we finally pass them and see the plates and say "of course, they are from Maryland." I very rarely encounter a MD driver who actually has somewhere to be. I'm sure they are out there, and I'm sure you're one of the ones who drives like a normal person. I just know that when I encounter a moving roadblock in the left lane, I'm gonna see a MD license plate when I finally pass them.

But back to the post.

Hopefully Young can turn on the jets and dominate the next few weeks. I'd love to see him come away with 4 or 5 sacks in the next 6 weeks.

Well the same things happens on 495, 395 & 95 in VA. I drive 110-120 miles a day all around the DMV. 

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Sweat wasn't billed as a generational talent. And 9 sacks because of the attention to Chase is what I was talking about when I said that Chase doing what he does, frees up others to "Eat". 

I don't want you to misunderstand what I'm saying here.

I love Chase on our team. I think he's a great talent. Pro Bowl worthy, etc... I think he's a disruptive force that causes DC's to have to gameplan against him. Last year, he was pretty phenomenal in quite a few games.

Right now, this year I don't think he's producing at the level he is capable of (and his coach agrees with that statement). 

Now, a lot of that must fall at Chase's feet. But I think some of it is Del Rio's fault in how he is scheming up things. Either way, I'm not saying he's a bust (far from it), but I'm also saying that I'm not seeing "generational talent" yet either. I think he'll get there. I also think that we don't need to be making excuses for him. He either shows it on the field or he doesn't.

Yeah, I don’t think you’re saying he’s a bust. I too am disappointed he doesn’t have a sack or 2 and I’m one of his biggest fans. I was just putting that out there that generally DEs don’t come in the league and wreck the league as a rookie unless you’re Jevon Kearse.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He did make you look foolish last year after you did this same thing. It’s TWO games. TWO. 

If you say so. 7.5 sacks isn't all that impressive for Superman . Hell, his Momma was on him 😊

Maybe JDR gets some blame too. A Donald will come at you from anywhere. They don't seem to use C Y as imaginatively as Donald. Should come from over the center the guard anywhere . loops, stunts. So far evrything along the line looks so vanilla . Straight forward rush .

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

If you say so. 7.5 sacks isn't all that impressive for Superman . Hell, his Momma was on him 😊

Maybe JDR gets some blame too. A Donald will come at you from anywhere. They don't seem to use C Y as imaginatively as Donald. Should come from over the center the guard anywhere . loops, stunts. So far evrything along the line looks so vanilla . Straight forward rush .

This is what I was getting at earlier too. I think Del Rio needs to start playing chess a bit more. The opposing OC is gameplanning against Chase. Let's throw them off balance and move him around to disrupt things. Seems like we're just sitting back and letting them dictate to us and just are content with rushing 4 straight up (*)

(*) BTW - our secondary and LB need to be better this Sunday at covering. Because rushing 4 and beating the OL is exactly how the Steelers beat them in Week 1.

14 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

It's like Maryland (*) this is what we do.

(*) Crabcakes and "Left Lane-ing" <--- that's what Maryland does!

Myself along with all the other VIRGINIA CRABBERS thank you for enjoying our crabcakes. But stop trying to take credit for it!

But Chase for me. If all that ended up happening was we got rid of an older Kerrigan for a younger one. Screw it. Ill take it. Still means the DL is dominating.

Edited by PARROTHEAD
  • Like 2