Rivera disappointed in the defense & thinks Chase Young is pressing

turtle28

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/ron-rivera-wants-more-defense-thats-been-so-disappointing-times

“… as he told NBC Sports Washington's JP Finlay in an interview on Monday, there were examples from that victory where he was quite encouraged with the defense.

"We had our moments," Rivera said. "You see things that get you there and go, 'Wow, this is what we're working towards.'"

Unfortunately, Rivera also saw other instances where that unit wasn't even close to performing at the level he and so many others expect it to be at. Those missteps seemed to bother him a lot more than the positive flashes pleased him, too.

"Then you see things and go, 'Man, that is so not us,'" Rivera continued. "'That is so disappointing. That is almost immature.' Again, that's just us growing and learning."

"We gameplan for it," Rivera said about Allen's running ability. "We'll gameplan for him. We have to be prepared for those."

The preparation, as far as anyone on the outside can discern, isn't the problem. Instead, Rivera and numerous players have lamented the defensive execution in their respective press conferences and chats with the media since the regular season began and the mediocre results have followed. 

Whatever it takes to clean things up in that regard — so far, the solutions they're proposing feature buzzwords like "communication" and being better with their "assignments" — must be done and done soon. Washington is way too skilled on that side of the ball to already be under-delivering and receiving reviews that are as harsh as the one Rivera gave on Monday.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/ron-rivera-thinks-chase-young-132928265.html

“In an effort to find out what's been missing from Young so far this season, The Sports Junkies asked Rivera if his star pass rusher was putting too much pressure on himself. 

"Oh, without a doubt," Rivera said Tuesday. "The kid works so hard. The way he comes to practice, the way he goes through meetings, the way he's on the field. He wants to be explosive, he wants to make things happen and he's really trying. Because of that, I think every now and then he puts himself in a bad position. But I'm not going to fault guys that give you everything they got."

Another aspect of Young's slow start is the attention he's getting from opposing offenses. Everyone knows he's Washington's best defensive player and is fully aware of how quickly he can change a game. So Young is seeing more double teams, chips from tight ends and offensive schemes designed to neutralize his abilities. 

The other thing to understand is when he's getting doubled, when he's getting chipped, I mean, it's tough," Rivera said. "I get that part, I know how hard it is. I watch some of the really great players struggle through times like this because everybody's got an answer, everybody is doing something [to slow them down]. And when you affect the way people approach you and approach your team, you're an impact player."

However, Rivera still wants to see more from Young and his defense. Of course, the defense started slow last season as well, but that fact hasn't made the start to this year any less disappointing for Washington's head coach

"I just think we have not played to our ability," Rivera said. "I think right now we have some small issues that are all correctable. Part of it is stop trying to make more and more plays than you need to. That's one thing that's tough because we got a group of guys that want to make plays, and that's the truth of the matter.

"When that happens and until they settle in and realize or recognize just how important it is to do your job, I mean, the expectations for those guys have been out there since the season ended last year and part of that, I think, is the guys keep hearing what everybody keeps telling them. The truth of the matter is you have to be careful because that doesn't matter. What matters is what you put on the field. I think we got to stop listening to what everybody's telling us and start thinking about what we need to do."

Edited by turtle28

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/ron-rivera-wants-more-defense-thats-been-so-disappointing-times

“… as he told NBC Sports Washington's JP Finlay in an interview on Monday, there were examples from that victory where he was quite encouraged with the defense.

"We had our moments," Rivera said. "You see things that get you there and go, 'Wow, this is what we're working towards.'"

Unfortunately, Rivera also saw other instances where that unit wasn't even close to performing at the level he and so many others expect it to be at. Those missteps seemed to bother him a lot more than the positive flashes pleased him, too.

"Then you see things and go, 'Man, that is so not us,'" Rivera continued. "'That is so disappointing. That is almost immature.' Again, that's just us growing and learning."

"We gameplan for it," Rivera said about Allen's running ability. "We'll gameplan for him. We have to be prepared for those."

The preparation, as far as anyone on the outside can discern, isn't the problem. Instead, Rivera and numerous players have lamented the defensive execution in their respective press conferences and chats with the media since the regular season began and the mediocre results have followed. 

Whatever it takes to clean things up in that regard — so far, the solutions they're proposing feature buzzwords like "communication" and being better with their "assignments" — must be done and done soon. Washington is way too skilled on that side of the ball to already be under-delivering and receiving reviews that are as harsh as the one Rivera gave on Monday.”

I see no mention of our Generatioal D E, Chase Young ????

22 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Jadeveon Clowney 2.0 . 

I kind have to laugh when I see some of these responses, it takes me back to the days of Orakpo when he was consistently putting up near or over 10 sacks but no one thought he was anything but average & replaceable bc he wasn’t one of the league leaders in sacks getting 15-20 sacks. 

Washington fans are notorious for never appreciating the good players they have - even if they may not be All-Pro players.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I kind have to laugh when I see some of these responses, it takes me back fo the days of Orakpo when he’s consistently put up near or over 10 sacks but no one thought he was anything but average bc he wasn’t one of the league leaders in sacks getting 15-20 sacks. 

Washington fans are notorious for never appreciating the good players they have - even if they may not be All-Pro players.

We're also extremely notorious for simultaneously having unreal expectations about this team's talent and ceiling. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

We're also extremely notorious for simultaneously having unreal expectations about this team's talent and ceiling. 

True but some fans seem to not be giving Chase Young a chance to grow & develop in the pros, which is sadly to be expected from this fanbase. I mean the guy is only 22, he should be in his senior year in college.

I definitely agree that this fanbase had unrealistic expectations for this defense, especially early in the season given how many new pieces they are working in on the back 4/5, the fact that Jamin Davis is a rookie & learning, we didn’t move on from Bostic by signing a better vet MLB and the defense had its best games against bear up OLs/back up QBs all last year.

Edited by turtle28

Look, yeah- we have very high expectations . All I heard pre-draft was "GENERATIONAL " talent . Can't miss/ Sure thing ! That's suppose to be a ready to go player . Drafted second overall.  He's under performing based on the expectations ! It's a fact - Deal with it . 

11 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Look, yeah- we have very high expectations . All I heard pre-draft was "GENERATIONAL " talent . Can't miss/ Sure thing ! That's suppose to be a ready to go player . Drafted second overall.  He's under performing based on the expectations ! It's a fact - Deal with it . 

Dude, he’s only 22. He’s only played 18 games in the NFL. If he was a QB like say, I don’t know… Peyton Manning, people would be saying he’d need more time to develop but bc some people expect him to be a Hall of Fame player day 1, they’ll ridiculously call him a bust before his career has really even started. I can’t wait till the day when he’s being considered for Defensive Player of the Year so once again those like you who jumped the gun on the bust train can look ridiculous.

It’s just like our former starting QB who was the best this team had the last 28 years, all he does every week is continue to go out there in light up defenses meanwhile our franchise is on its 10th starting QB since 2018. Some fans just don’t appreciate a good thing when they have it.

I PRAY he makes me and the doubters look foolish . I want to be his biggest fan ! but I already hate he does things like saying he and Sweat want to break the sack record.. Just silly to put yourself under the gun / microscope!  Do your job-keep your mouth shut !

Edited by RSkinGM

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I PRAY he makes me and the doubters look foolish . I want to be his biggest fan ! but I already hate he does things like saying he and Sweat want to break the sack record.. Just silly to put yourself under the gun / microscope!  Do your job-keep your mouth shut !

He did make you look foolish last year after you did this same thing. It’s TWO games. TWO. 

4 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Based upon expectations? Yeah. I expected at least 2,5 more sacks last year. But I also understand he was doubled and tripled a lot of that time which opened up others to "eat". I was satisfied with his rookie performance even if the stats didn't show how dominant he was.

Having the same thing happen this year, which should be setting up others to do the same. But right now, they haven't. What we've seen is the two teams go with more of a quick pass game which tends to neutralize the pass rush. Which means the stats aren't gonna pop out at you.

Now...is that an excuse?

Nope. You're right. I expect my #2 pick who is a "generational talent" to overcome the teams' game plan for him. For example, Aaron Donald is game-planned each week and he still delivers. You very rarely see a game where he is not a dominant force and you know he is the best player on the field. 

Can Chase do the same? I think he can. I think he is that generational talent that was promised. Maybe not on par with Donald but I do think he is in the same cohort (which is a wide block of talents). But he has to find a way to deliver more on the field than he has this year so far.

I believe he can. But I'm also not making excuses for anyone on the team. They simply need to produce. One of the things that our organization and fanbase has done the last 30 years is to find new excuses and exempt players from being held accountable for underperformance or poor play. I'm going to try not to do that going forward.

• Like 1