Game 7: Pittsburgh @ Detroit- SNF

Louis Friend

I wouldn’t cut ZZ. If you remember, last year he moved the ball better than anyone this year & got the ball in the end zone quite a few times in the Red Zone. As far as i’m Concerned, why did they sit ZZ last night. I guarantee he would have gotten us a TD last night on one of those drives. Draft a big downhill RB. 

Coach lost it for the team really in the 3rd quarter. Both teams played badly and had tough sledding up hill against eachother, one coach left points on the board in an attempt to gain a bigger lead instead of just taking a lead late in the game.  Basically he tried for a bigger advantage and failed which lost the Lions all advantages they had in the game at that point. Even without getting into the endzone Lions had a chance to win that game and the Coach/coaches basically took that opportunity away in the 3rd with a full quarter to play.

Honestly, no one can really explain to my why it's a bad idea to take the lead, vs going for a bigger lead with a chance to not gain the lead at all.(Which is what happened)

On 10/30/2017 at 12:09 PM, SimbaWho said:

Coach lost it for the team really in the 3rd quarter. Both teams played badly and had tough sledding up hill against eachother, one coach left points on the board in an attempt to gain a bigger lead instead of just taking a lead late in the game.  Basically he tried for a bigger advantage and failed which lost the Lions all advantages they had in the game at that point. Even without getting into the endzone Lions had a chance to win that game and the Coach/coaches basically took that opportunity away in the 3rd with a full quarter to play.

Honestly, no one can really explain to my why it's a bad idea to take the lead, vs going for a bigger lead with a chance to not gain the lead at all.(Which is what happened)

I blame it more on execution and play call than making that call. The reason it looks bad is because the defense gave up a 97 yard reception for a TD right after that.

if we're in 1st and goal and can't get a TD with 4 plays, we don't deserve to win.

2 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

I blame it more on execution and play call than making that call. The reason it looks bad is because the defense gave up a 97 yard reception for a TD right after that.

if we're in 1st and goal and can't get a TD with 4 plays, we don't deserve to win.

Nah, see your point is lost... We did deserve to win, we just didn't take the lead when we had the chance and paid for it sorely because they made a huge play after, we couldn't just do what was right and take the points and lead while we're behind in a close game. You don't decided with 5 mins in the third quarter down by 1 point that this is the drive your going to live/die on by going for it.

If you can't score in 4 plays like you said, why have confidence in pinning them back to get a short field that you can't score on anyways... while your still behind... by one?

He got greedy, and really, really paid for it. You can say all you want we didn't deserve to win, but if the Lions just took all there FG's that was given to them, they'd of won that game without scoring a TD.

40 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Nah, see your point is lost... We did deserve to win, we just didn't take the lead when we had the chance and paid for it sorely because they made a huge play after, we couldn't just do what was right and take the points and lead while we're behind in a close game. You don't decided with 5 mins in the third quarter down by 1 point that this is the drive your going to live/die on by going for it.

If you can't score in 4 plays like you said, why have confidence in pinning them back to get a short field that you can't score on anyways... while your still behind... by one?

He got greedy, and really, really paid for it. You can say all you want we didn't deserve to win, but if the Lions just took all there FG's that was given to them, they'd of won that game without scoring a TD.

You can't say that we would have won if we kicked the field goals. If we had kicked the first field goal and taken the lead by a point that would have changed the outcome severely and it's impossible to determine what would have happened. 

My point isn't lost at all. The playcall and execution was no where near where it should have been. If they score a TD there and get the 2 point then that forces Pittsburgh to have to score a TD just to tie. 

It would of been 13-15 Lions with 5 mins in the third. I get it, plenty of game, but what actually happened is vastly different than what actually happened, which was not getting the points or lead and also getting a TD scored on the Lions after the demoralizing stop. Nothing at the point really suggested the WR's where going to get open that tight, or that the RB's could power through and get tough yards. Regardless of how the execution was throughout the game, they where in a position to take a lead late and the coach decided to gamble the lead for a bigger lead and lost and made a big play(the TD) the biggest play of the night.

The likely hood of the Lions getting that TD on that fourth down is a very low percentage play compared to taking the lead with that FG. It was a chance to take the lead easily the coach chose a harder play with less success for marginal reward in the game with so much time remaining. They were in the game for a long time, and not taking the points essentially put them out of the game, especially because Steelers scored the drive after. It was the coaches call to go for it, the players are a fault for failing too but mostly blame Caldwell for putting them in that position where the likely hood of success is less than doing it another way and still taking a lead.

Archived