College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I love the idea that somehow getting rid of Haslam is going to undo 17 years of suck. How many Now That's What I Call Music's has Tennessee been dog**** for now? 

It's gonna be a long, long process to even be consistently mediocre.

I just don't get it.

Leach would have been a great hire after all the crap that had happened over the week. Fulmer is an idiot for screwing that up.

Just now, Supersuavesky said:

If that's your thought process you shouldn't be upset with any hire then. If you think Tennessee is screwed regardless there wouldn't be as much outrage over the idea of Schaino as head coach. 

I can't stand Schiano the human being, so no, I wouldn't be okay with him as head coach.

But as I tried numerous times to make clear, it's not even so much that I was upset that they're trying to hire the likes of Schiano and Doeren. It's that they tried to hire those guys before coaches like Gundy and Leach, who showed significant interest in the job. If Gundy and Leach and Miles and whoever turn you down, sure, go get a coach the caliber of the two formerly listed. Can't play without a coach, and if that's the type of coach you're stuck with, that's the type of coach your stuck with.

My only goal now for a head coach is just a guy who can steady the ship. Much like Rick Barnes is for the basketball program right now(though chances are the football coach we hire won't be on Barnes' level as a basketball coach). Barnes isn't going to lead Tennessee to competing for championships, but he's gotten the program out of trouble with the NCAA and back to being respectable.

1 minute ago, Supersuavesky said:

I just don't get it.

Leach would have been a great hire after all the crap that had happened over the week. Fulmer is an idiot for screwing that up.

They had Brohm. They actually had him. But after paying $8.2M to buyout Butch Jones, they decided to cheap out over $1M/year. Maybe would have totaled half of Jones' buyout to get the guy at the top of the wishlist. Now they have to give Currie some massive severance package too and they still don't have a coach.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I love the idea that somehow getting rid of Haslam is going to undo 17 years of suck. How many Now That's What I Call Music's has Tennessee been dog**** for now? 

It's gonna be a long, long process to even be consistently mediocre.

The blind hatred for Haslam is weird to me. I make fun of the guy because he and the Browns are the NFL's biggest joke. But the NFL and College Football are different animals. 

That's like saying Wayne Huizenga was clueless about football for hiring some dude named Nick Saban. Saban didn't work out in the NFL. Same as Bobby Petrino. Schiano didn't either. But all of them have been very successful as college coaches. And that has nothing to do with Jimmy Haslam. 

4 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I mean you're gonna need at least 2 more coaches just to get out of the doldrums where Vandy is 100% a better program than you.

If that's what it takes then that's what it takes. Makes no difference to me. I spent 15 years watching the incompetence of a Haslam led athletic department, I can spend another 6 or whatever to watch us get out of it.

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

The blind hatred for Haslam is weird to me. I make fun of the guy because he and the Browns are the NFL's biggest joke. But the NFL and College Football are different animals. 

That's like saying Wayne Huizenga was clueless about football for hiring some dude named Nick Saban. Saban didn't work out in the NFL. Same as Bobby Petrino. Schiano didn't either. But all of them have been very successful as college coaches. And that has nothing to do with Jimmy Haslam. 

Go back to 2003 when Mike Hamilton took over as AD and look at everything the university of Tennessee has dealt with in athletics. Not just football, athletics as a whole. I broke it down some in a post on a previous page if you wanna go back and find it. Haslam has destroyed what was once one of the better athletic departments in the country.

Also I'll respond to your critique of the Travis post in a bit. On a phone right now and trying to quote and type that long of a post would be aids, but thanks for at least making a competent post on the subject, which is better than what I can say for most here.

2 minutes ago, Supersuavesky said:

If Peyton Manning was an option for the job Vols fans would be okay with it but Schiano is a no go? That's more then a little confusing. 

Said this already in this thread, but he's allegedly prepping a run for congress and has been in contact with RNC fundraisers. To your point, yes, he's got a past that would definitely make him qualified.

6 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I can't stand Peyton Manning so I dunno what to tell you there.

Right, but I meant the school in general. I think Vols fans would have less of a problem with it.

Said this already in this thread, but he's allegedly prepping a run for congress and has been in contact with RNC fundraisers. To your point, yes, he's got a past that would definitely make him qualified.

Which is crazy seeing as he has his own allegations. 

35 minutes ago, Supersuavesky said:

Leach was never going there.  He’s too smart for that. 

14 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Go back to 2003 when Mike Hamilton took over as AD and look at everything the university of Tennessee has dealt with in athletics. Not just football, athletics as a whole. I broke it down some in a post on a previous page if you wanna go back and find it. Haslam has destroyed what was once one of the better athletic departments in the country.

Also I'll respond to your critique of the Travis post in a bit. On a phone right now and trying to quote and type that long of a post would be aids, but thanks for at least making a competent post on the subject, which is better than what I can say for most here.

You'll have to forgive me for not being totally in the loop regarding Haslam's personal connections. But....

From what I've gathered, Hamilton was stuck between a rock and a hard place with Fulmer. I remember the firing, and there seemed to be plenty that were for it at the time. 

He hired Lane Kiffin. Contrary to what may be written about it now, at the time I remember a lot of Tennessee fans being totally behind it. The guy was desirable enough that Southern Cal wanted him just a year later. If he's good enough for Southern Cal to tab as a replacement for Pete Carroll, he's good enough for Tennessee. Can't fault Hamilton on that one really.

As for Derek Dooley... He was a shot in the dark, taken on a Saban disciple stuck at in a bad spot at LaTech. I remember his time there, and although the record wasn't fantastic, he kept that team competitive. Not a top tier hire, but not a bad gamble at the time. Maybe a little bit of a less sure thing than Oregon going from Bellotti to Kelly, or from Kelly to Helfrich, but certainly not a terrible roll of the dice on a highly recommended assistant from a solid coaching tree. He inherited a terrible team at UT, and him not being that special someone to drag them out is unfortunate, but not really THAT egregious. 

Post Hamilton, Butch Jones was a fairly hot commodity as well. I remember many Tennessee fans being very happy with this hire. It just didn't work out. 

As someone on the outside looking in, I'm only seeing a fan base never happy with anything less than dominance. And there is nothing wrong with that. You guys got screwed over by Kiffin, and simply got unlucky with Dooley and Jones not working out. But over the last decade, Tennessee has never seemed to understand they need to go into rebuild mode and that they aren't on the cusp of something special every single season. 

Archived