2021 Week Six GDT Steelers vs. Seahawks

Steeler Hitman

Do the Steelers Win Two in a Row?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins Sunday? Steelers or Seahawks

• Yes, They win again at home!
    • No, No Russell, no matter! Seahawks trip up Steelers

10 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I was around the same age. Ben’s the last holdover from those mid 00s teams that I really began my fandom with. 

I vividly remember the 1st time I heard of ben and the 1st game I watched him play. A local sports guy was hyping him up on his sports show and mention Ben was playing Thursday of that week on ESPN. Ben had a great game and I remember thinking it would be cool to have this dude with this odd name on the steelers lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 43M said:

For Wilson...fair enough...even though a pourous OL in Seattle has hurt him for years.

Anyone who would give up two firsts for Rodgers needs to get their heads examined, for numerous reasons.   People look at Brady and assume that QBs playing into their mid 40s is going to be the new normal.   Its not.  Rodgers will be 39 next December.   Its silly to even entertain the idea of giving up that much....especially since our first next year will likely be top 15.  

Most Id pay for Rodgers is a 2nd next year and a conditional 2nd upgradable to a 1st in 2023 IF the Steelers make the AFC Championship game with Rodgers playing at least 10 games.

Some team will likely give up more.   I can guarantee it wont be us.

Steeler fans can delude themselves into believing we have a good chance at Rodgers or Wilson being our QB next year.   We dont.   Not impossible, but sub 10% chances.

Much much much more likely we have a guy like Garrapolo, Derek Carr or Jacoby Brissett is our QB.

Not trying to whiz on anyone's cornflakes, but lets be real.

I’ll disagree to an extent...especially if Colbert returns next year.

I know it be another level but Colbert been increasingly willing to trade picks ...plus they’ll have the cap room to do it.

19 hours ago, 43M said:

For Wilson...fair enough...even though a pourous OL in Seattle has hurt him for years.

Anyone who would give up two firsts for Rodgers needs to get their heads examined, for numerous reasons.   People look at Brady and assume that QBs playing into their mid 40s is going to be the new normal.   Its not.  Rodgers will be 39 next December.   Its silly to even entertain the idea of giving up that much....especially since our first next year will likely be top 15.  

Most Id pay for Rodgers is a 2nd next year and a conditional 2nd upgradable to a 1st in 2023 IF the Steelers make the AFC Championship game with Rodgers playing at least 10 games.

Some team will likely give up more.   I can guarantee it wont be us.

Steeler fans can delude themselves into believing we have a good chance at Rodgers or Wilson being our QB next year.   We dont.   Not impossible, but sub 10% chances.

Much much much more likely we have a guy like Garrapolo, Derek Carr or Jacoby Brissett is our QB.

Not trying to whiz on anyone's cornflakes, but lets be real.

You forget Rodgers won MVP last year? 

5 hours ago, August4th said:

funny thinking about that time period. their were a lot of people not thrilled with us taking a QB that draft, because it could not help us that yr. they rather take another position to build around tommy maddox..boy have times changed 🤣

Damn really? I was 11 years old at the time and remember praying we took Rivers (Ben wasn’t supposed to make it to 11) because I hated Maddox so much 😂

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

You forget Rodgers won MVP last year? 

And?   I never said he sucked or that I would hate I having him in general.

That doesnt mean its remotely close to a good idea to trade two first rounders for a 39 year old QB, especially when you have one of the worst offensive lines in the league and would be extremely limited in our ability to address it if this were to somehow happen.

Not trying to kill your pipe dream....but thats exactly what it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFF said:

I’ll disagree to an extent...especially if Colbert returns next year.

I know it be another level but Colbert been increasingly willing to trade picks ...plus they’ll have the cap room to do it.

Aside from Minkah, when is the last time we traded a high draft pick for a player?

Minkah was a 2nd year player they were extremely high on coming out of the draft, in a league where quality safeties are at a premium.

Not really comparable situations when youre talking about a really young guy with upside on a rookie deal vs older players with monster contracts.

Im not dismissing or disagreeing that the Steelers would make a trade if the right one came along, but they arent going to just make a ridiculous desperation move.   

Again, I think the Steelers would possibly give up 2 first round picks for Russell Wilson.   Problem is, there might be a team out there willing to give up 3 or 4.

Rodgers will be 39 next year.  39.    I wouldnt mind having him, but 2 first round picks?     You honestly believe the Steelers would give that up?    Beyond the draft picks, that eats up most of the cap space we have next year.   Say goodbye to addressing the OLine the way it needs to be addressed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 43M said:

Aside from Minkah, when is the last time we traded a high draft pick for a player?

Minkah was a 2nd year player they were extremely high on coming out of the draft, in a league where quality safeties are at a premium.

Not really comparable situations when youre talking about a really young guy with upside on a rookie deal vs older players with monster contracts.

Im not dismissing or disagreeing that the Steelers would make a trade if the right one came along, but they arent going to just make a ridiculous desperation move.   

Again, I think the Steelers would possibly give up 2 first round picks for Russell Wilson.   Problem is, there might be a team out there willing to give up 3 or 4.

Rodgers will be 39 next year.  39.    I wouldnt mind having him, but 2 first round picks?     You honestly believe the Steelers would give that up?    Beyond the draft picks, that eats up most of the cap space we have next year.   Say goodbye to addressing the OLine the way it needs to be addressed.

I’m aware most the picks have been day 3, but Minkah’s deal showed if that right player came along they woulda do a deal.

If the Steelers/Tombert feel they can lock up QB and strengthen the OL and fortify depth at the skill positions...I think it’s more likely than you think...especially if Colbert stays.

In terms of me personally on if I would trade 2 1st for Rodgers...if I thought I could still upgrade the OL and the defense was young enough(save for Heyward everybody in prime years or younger), I’d probably do it.

We both know that the salary cap is fungible and people like WAtt can easily restructure and save thrm$10 mill...they can roll over their current $10 mill or so as well(over the cap numbers)...Some other possible cut like Banner($5mill) and Schobert($8mill) are dependent on how they play ROS.

Im not saying it’s likely...I just don’t think it’s as UNLIKELY as you think it is, that’s all.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Rodgers will be 39 next year.  39.    I wouldnt mind having him, but 2 first round picks? 

Overall, I may not disagree with your total argument, but I do absolutely disagree with saying he isn’t worth 2 firsts. He absolutely is. You could have 5 first round picks next year and be no closer to being a super bowl contender, but add Aaron Rodgers and you immediately are. 

It’s the sole position that can be so impactful. Add Rodgers right now and we are 5-0 and not just a playoff hopeful, but a n AFC contender — current Oline and all. Aaron makes up for all the deficiencies. 

One first would go for the player. There’s no player gonna be drafted next year that’s better than Aaron Rodgers will be immediately, and most likely still over 2-3 years - especially at his position. The second pick is the premium you pay for the player…and there’s no position worth that premium other than QB.

If someone offered you Aaron Rodgers for 2 firsts, you slam your credit card on the table before the deal goes away. There no more impactful player that you could get worth those picks. As much as we would like to think you are getting TJ and Cam, your also liable to get Jones and Burns. We know who Aaron is and he is showing no physical signs of slowing down. Even if you guaranteed me we got 2 TJ Watts, that puts us no closer to a super bowl with No QB. 

We are not winning a super bowl with any amount of first rounds picks and Andy Dalton at the helm. We might with Aaron. No clue if the Steelers would do it or not; but it’s absolutely hands down, 100% worth the cost. 

The salary cap is also irrelevant at this point. It’s about the flexibility moving forward, not the singular year number. We can still sign a dude to $20m per with a year 1 cap hit of $8m or do the voided years. Cap hit means nothing to use seeing as we have a blank check worth it availability in the next few years.

I still question wether Aaron would actually want to come to Pittsburgh or not (I don’t think he would), but I would heavily criticize the team if he did and they said 2 first is too heavy a cost.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Overall, I may not disagree with your total argument, but I do absolutely disagree with saying he isn’t worth 2 firsts. He absolutely is. You could have 5 first round picks next year and be no closer to being a super bowl contender, but add Aaron Rodgers and you immediately are. 

It’s the sole position that can be so impactful. Add Rodgers right now and we are 5-0 and not just a playoff hopeful, but a n AFC contender — current Oline and all. Aaron makes up for all the deficiencies. 

One first would go for the player. There’s no player gonna be drafted next year that’s better than Aaron Rodgers will be immediately, and most likely still over 2-3 years - especially at his position. The second pick is the premium you pay for the player…and there’s no position worth that premium other than QB.

If someone offered you Aaron Rodgers for 2 firsts, you slam your credit card on the table before the deal goes away. There no more impactful player that you could get worth those picks. As much as we would like to think you are getting TJ and Cam, your also liable to get Jones and Burns. We know who Aaron is and he is showing no physical signs of slowing down. Even if you guaranteed me we got 2 TJ Watts, that puts us no closer to a super bowl with No QB. 

We are not winning a super bowl with any amount of first rounds picks and Andy Dalton at the helm. We might with Aaron. No clue if the Steelers would do it or not; but it’s absolutely hands down, 100% worth the cost. 

The salary cap is also irrelevant at this point. It’s about the flexibility moving forward, not the singular year number. We can still sign a dude to $20m per with a year 1 cap hit of $8m or do the voided years. Cap hit means nothing to use seeing as we have a blank check worth it availability in the next few years.

I still question wether Aaron would actually want to come to Pittsburgh or not (I don’t think he would), but I would heavily criticize the team if he did and they said 2 first is too heavy a cost.

The way you stated it is better than I could...

8 hours ago, 43M said:

And?   I never said he sucked or that I would hate I having him in general.

That doesnt mean its remotely close to a good idea to trade two first rounders for a 39 year old QB, especially when you have one of the worst offensive lines in the league and would be extremely limited in our ability to address it if this were to somehow happen.

Not trying to kill your pipe dream....but thats exactly what it is.

You keep stating Rodgers age and I’m gonna keep going back to the fact that he won the MVP last year and is still a top 3 (at worst) QB in the NFL. He’s shown 0 signs of age or slowing down. You give up two first round picks for that and improve your chances at winning a super bowl every day of the week. Isn’t that the whole point of this thing, to win Super Bowls? Did you watch Brady and the Bucs last year? You want to draft an offensive lineman and roll with Andy Dalton at QB?

Cmon man I know you think it won’t happen but saying Rodgers isn’t worth 2 first round picks is just silly. If one of the best QBs of our generation wants to come here you go get him, bottom line. 

Disclaimer, I wrote this before reading @Dcash4 post, he said it much better than I did. 

Edited by bigben07MVP

23 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Overall, I may not disagree with your total argument, but I do absolutely disagree with saying he isn’t worth 2 firsts. He absolutely is.

Talentwise, sure.

When you factor in age, he absolutely isnt.

Again, Brady has changed peoples perceptions into believing QBs are going to start playing at a high level into their mid 40s.

Brady is the exception, not the rule.

If youd be willing to bet 2 firsts on Rodgers....so be it.

Im not.

It’s the sole position that can be so impactful. Add Rodgers right now and we are 5-0 and not just a playoff hopeful, but a n AFC contender — current Oline and all.

Aaron makes up for all the deficiencies. 

Rodgers is not going to make up for the deficiencies on our OLine.     He crumbled against Tampa Bay when the pressure got to him. 

Would he be better than Ben?   Obviously, but thats not saying much.

Rodgers would help us win some games, no doubt.      I dont think he can take this current team to the Superbowl.   Thats why I wouldnt spend two firsts on the guy.

If someone offered you Aaron Rodgers for 2 firsts, you slam your credit card on the table before the deal goes away.

Rodgers is an amazing player, and Id love to have him for a couple years.

He is also a depreciating asset.    Many Packers fans Ive talked to are actually sick of his attitude.   He can still ball, but he doesnt seem to care as much as he used to.

If youre willing to bet 2 firsts on Rodgers, thats fine.

With the current make up of our team, no thanks.   A second and a conditional first, as I mentioned earlier...thats as high as Id go.

Many Steeler fans would.

Many of them would also bash the front office if/when it didnt work out.

Not saying you would, but Steeler fans have a habit of bashing the front office for fruitless decisions they initially supported.

18 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

You keep stating Rodgers age

Sorry, but its a factor whether you like it or not.

18 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

and I’m gonna keep going back to the fact that he won the MVP last year

You can bring that up all you want.

Its irrelevant when discussing players in their twilight years who can decline pretty quickly, especially a QB behind a terrible Oline.

and is still a top 3 (at worst) QB in the NFL.

Debatable.

He’s shown 0 signs of age or slowing down. 

Wrong.

You give up two first round picks for that and improve your chances at winning a super bowl every day of the week. Isn’t that the whole point of this thing, to win Super Bowls? Did you watch Brady and the Bucs last year? You want to draft an offensive lineman and roll with Andy Dalton at QB?

How many Superbowls has he won since the Packers beat us in 2010?

He has had several stacked teams in that timeframe.

This would be one of his weaker teams and probably the worst Oline he has ever had....at 39 years old.

You want to draft an offensive lineman and roll with Andy Dalton at QB?

No....Im just not willing to mortgage the future of this team for an aging QB with no OLine.

Cmon man I know you think it won’t happen but saying Rodgers isn’t worth 2 first round picks is just silly.

Yes, Im silly for not wanting to trade two firsts for a 39 year old QB when you have no offensive line.

Gotcha.

Just to add, its also important to not that beyond our OLine, our defensive line is going to need major attention soon.

Cam will be 33 next year....should have a few good years left, but close to the tipping point for Dlineman.

Tuitt may never come back the same...and he tends to be very streaky, anyway.

Alualu is pretty much done.     He might come back...but he will be 35 coming back from a major injury.

ILB, CB and safety are all pretty big needs in the next couple years as well.

But yeah....39 year old Aaron Rodgers can carry that, even though the only year he won a SB was a year his team was absolutely stacked with talent....and he was 11 years younger.

Silly me, though.

If one of the best QBs of our generation wants to come here you go get him, bottom line.

For the right price, sure.

Two firsts is not the right price.

Anyway, Im done arguing about this.  

Its never going to happen, so far be it for me to dash hopes that dont actually exist.

Edited by 43M